Fries!

Options
13»

Replies

• shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I budget for the fries and usually split an order with my 10 year old. I didn't eliminate anything I love to lose my weight.

That was one of my key decisions when I started. Not eating anything i don't like and not giving up anything I do (well, except for cake).
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    So I have been craving French fries like crazy but they have a lot of calories and just not healthy. I'm not a fan of sweet potato fries. Any suggestions?

Homemade oven baked fries with olive oil
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Fit the fries into your daily calories. They are not that high in calories and healthy is subjective.

1 serving of French fries is about 50 grams of carbohydrate, of which only about 5 grams are fiber. Not counting the ketchup or ranch that many people enjoy fries with. For many diabetics, fries can be dangerously unhealthy and there's nothing subjective about that.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I love French fries and when I do want them bad I tend to over eat. I have tried fitting them in and I end up feeling guilty. I'm sorry for any issues I caused but the comment about green beans I'll try. I guess I'm just looking for a healthier version of something crunchy and salty.

While I allow myself fried (frozen, baked) once in a while, if you're looking for something salty and crunchy, try roasted chic peas. Just drain a can of chic peas, salt and spice them and bake them.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Fit the fries into your daily calories. They are not that high in calories and healthy is subjective.

1 serving of French fries is about 50 grams of carbohydrate, of which only about 5 grams are fiber. Not counting the ketchup or ranch that many people enjoy fries with. For many diabetics, fries can be dangerously unhealthy and there's nothing subjective about that.

Where did the OP say they were diabetic?? :huh:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes, for someone with a specific health condition (which OP doesn't indicate she has), fries might be an unhealthy choice. Just like pasta made with wheat would be an unhealthy choice for someone with Celiac.

But a specific health condition that some people have doesn't mean that a particular food is unhealthy for anyone without that condition.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I love French fries and when I do want them bad I tend to over eat. I have tried fitting them in and I end up feeling guilty. I'm sorry for any issues I caused but the comment about green beans I'll try. I guess I'm just looking for a healthier version of something crunchy and salty.

While I allow myself fried (frozen, baked) once in a while, if you're looking for something salty and crunchy, try roasted chic peas. Just drain a can of chic peas, salt and spice them and bake them.

Roasted chickpeas are one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. They can add up in calories pretty quickly, though, so you do have to be careful not to over-do them. It's a great example of a food that seems "healthy/clean" (which they are a great nutrient-dense legume, don't get me wrong), but can be relatively easily over-consumed. That's one of the foods that I have trouble moderating when I make them. I like to season them with curry powder.

Now I really am craving roasted chickpeas!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sounds like OP doesn't want to "fit some fries in" and has asked for alternatives. I get that MFP is hardline "eat everything if it fits" but sometimes people want to make different choices some days.

I don't think that's really clear from OP's post, and "any suggestions" isn't the same as "any alternatives to fries." It might mean that, but OP might be interested to know that people do eat fries on a diet. (I rarely eat them, but do sometimes.) One reason I think OP might be interested to know that is that he/she seems to think there's a meaningful difference between sweet potato fries and potato fries, and there's really not.

Anyway, my answer would be to try baked fries (but doesn't that count as telling her to eat fries?) to see if they do the trick or -- as I personally prefer to baked fries -- maybe roasted or sauteed potatoes. I eat roasted potatoes (as well as roasted sweet potatoes) quite a bit and they are easy to fit in.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For salty and crunchy you can go with nuts (but they aren't really lower in calories, although they have some health benefits), or I kind of like kohlrabi with a little salt on it. Or, weird choice, a good pickle.

None of those really feel like fries to me, though. Personally, I'd still go with well made roasted potatoes with a bit of olive oil and salt if you don't think you can limit yourself with the fries or don't want to eat them.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »

Roasted chickpeas are one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. They can add up in calories pretty quickly, though, so you do have to be careful not to over-do them. It's a great example of a food that seems "healthy/clean" (which they are a great nutrient-dense legume, don't get me wrong), but can be relatively easily over-consumed. That's one of the foods that I have trouble moderating when I make them. I like to season them with curry powder.

Now I really am craving roasted chickpeas!

Yeah, I can really overeat roasted chickpeas too. It just doesn't feel like you are eating that many or something!
  • Carebear199125
    Carebear199125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really do appreciate all the feedback. I will definitely try some of the things you guys have suggested. I definitely bake everything. I don't fry to avoid the extra calories. I saw a comment about me being diabetic, I'm not but at risk with my syndrome. I have issues fitting things into my Diet Especially with the calorie intake. For the first time I started counting calories and I was surprised to see how many calories are in a simple dish. I have a lot to learn and look out for. But anyways I will definitely try some of the things I read about. I truly appreciate the way to eat fries better and substitutions. Thank you!!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel bad at all. a lot of folks want to convince everyone to just eat everything in moderations and its all good. You were very specific and we need to respect what people are asking on this site and stop trying to change opinions or offer "advice when not asked". I also have a hard time controlling the amount of regular french fries if i eat them also and they do not fit in my macro's at times and the green beans are a GREAT alternative and you can eat quite a few! It has worked for me for 5 plus years....

• fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There are some single-serve fries recipes out there that aren't too bad. Here's one that is on my list to try - http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-garlic-parmesan-fries/

I'm the same way, though - If I have a few fries, I'll end up having all of them. Hoping that single-serving recipe might work for me, but haven't tried it yet.

Other alternatives:
    -Air-popped popcorn can be a good salty, crunchy snack and you can usually have a good amount for not that many calories.
    -Crunchy roasted Chickpeas are a good salty snack, but I'm not a huge fan of these. Wish I was, they're fairly good for you! You can find them in the nuts aisle sometimes or recipes online.
    -There are these Good Thins crackers (some are potato based) that you can have a good amount of for not many calories: http://www.goodthins.com/
    -Roasted almonds! I don't make these enough, but they're great and you can really personalize the recipes out there to fit your liking.

Hope this was somewhat helpful... :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fitRTs wrote: »
    There are some single-serve fries recipes out there that aren't too bad. Here's one that is on my list to try - http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-garlic-parmesan-fries/

I'm the same way, though - If I have a few fries, I'll end up having all of them. Hoping that single-serving recipe might work for me, but haven't tried it yet.

Other alternatives:
    -Air-popped popcorn can be a good salty, crunchy snack and you can usually have a good amount for not that many calories.
    -Crunchy roasted Chickpeas are a good salty snack, but I'm not a huge fan of these. Wish I was, they're fairly good for you! You can find them in the nuts aisle sometimes or recipes online.
    -There are these Good Thins crackers (some are potato based) that you can have a good amount of for not many calories: http://www.goodthins.com/
    -Roasted almonds! I don't make these enough, but they're great and you can really personalize the recipes out there to fit your liking.

Hope this was somewhat helpful... :smile:

While roasted almonds are delicious, it's worth noting that they're also very calorie dense. 2 ounces of roasted almonds is around 340 calories, with 30g fat, 220 mg sodium and 10g carbs. By comparison, a medium order of french fries from McDonalds (about 4 ounces) is 340 calories, 16g fat, 230 mg sodium and 44g carbs.

As with any other food in the diet, the issue comes down to context and dosage. Living on french fries is not a good idea. Having an occasional order of french fries within the context of an overall well rounded/balanced diet is perfectly reasonable if one so desires.
  • fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

While roasted almonds are delicious, it's worth noting that they're also very calorie dense. 2 ounces of roasted almonds is around 340 calories, with 30g fat, 220 mg sodium and 10g carbs. By comparison, a medium order of french fries from McDonalds (about 4 ounces) is 340 calories, 16g fat, 230 mg sodium and 44g carbs.

As with any other food in the diet, the issue comes down to context and dosage. Living on french fries is not a good idea. Having an occasional order of french fries within the context of an overall well rounded/balanced diet is perfectly reasonable if one so desires.

This is very true, and I meant to mention it in my comment. However, if it's not just about the calories, they are a good source of protein (which is good for me as I'm a picky vegetarian)! Just giving some ideas for alternatives.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Get a potato, slice into fries, toss in a bit of oil, spices you like, and bake in the oven at 400F until done.

I'm still not sure if this is the sort of advice we are being rebuked for offering or not.

Oh, well. ;-)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Get a potato, slice into fries, toss in a bit of oil, spices you like, and bake in the oven at 400F until done.

Mrs. Dash. Did this last night.

But I've budgeted for restaurant fries tonight. Boy is the calorie count different. ~350 for what I had last night and ~720 for what I'm having tonight.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I take baby red potatoes, quarter or half them, toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, Rosemary. Roast in oven at 425 for about 30 minutes. Baby potato wedges :) and they are really tasty
  • illyasHodrick
    illyasHodrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The ones at McDonald's are because they are drenched in oil.

Cook yours at home. Baked. No oil. Ketchup. Seasoning if you want. Just cut them into wedges bake, 15 minutes, flip, 15 more. It's very good. Not even 200 calories.