What's the best cleanse/detox to start off with?

Options
Pinkahlicious
Pinkahlicious Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I want to get a helping hand to start my weight loss after the most recent baby and I wanted to start with a cleanse.

What is your favorite cleanse? What cleanse works the best to get motivated and boost initial weight loss? What cleanses should I stay away from? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Pinkahlicious
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Those are some things I can do. But I have to ask, why do you say cleanses aren't a thing? Is there a reason you don't like them? Have you tried and they don't help you? I have heard people say they love them.
  • Pinkahlicious
    edited January 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Thank you I'll look it over.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time and money on a ridiculous cleanse that is going to do nothing for you. You just had a baby - now is not the time to abuse you're body with nonsense that isn't going to do a damn thing anyway. Start getting some healthy habits, buy a food scale instead of a cleanse, log your food accurately, get some movement. Stop looking for a magic potion to be your weight loss solution. You'll be much better off on the long run if you skip the nonsense and just start the healthy habits now.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Cleanses and detoxes are fads right now. They just keep you in the bathroom. Do you really want diarrea? Do as suggested above. Slow and sure will get you where you want to be--and in good health.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What about starvation mode?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Those are some things I can do. But I have to ask, why do you say cleanses aren't a thing? Is there a reason you don't like them? Have you tried and they don't help you? I have heard people say they love them.

Because they're proven to be a marketing scam? The only thing that cleanses your body are your kidneys and liver. Drinking some magical liquid won't do anything, nor will it attribute to fatloss which is achieved through a caloric deficit. If you want to ensure that your body is working efficiently drink as much water as you can, eat healthy, and exercise regularly.

This is my question. If these cleanses actually rid your body of toxins why wouldn't a doctor prescribed them to a patient who's in sepsis and whos organs are shutting down to blood poisoning?
  • Pinkahlicious
    Options
    Ok, I didn't really need any sarcastic comments. I had a question, I got answers. I asked genuine follow up questions. I thanked people for their responses and information. I wish I got more objective responses, and less judgmental quips. No need for any further replies and Thank You again to those who responded with factual information and helpful tips and not condescending remarks.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. A lot of cleanses are expensive. At worst they're dubious concoctions full of who knows what, at middling they're simply laxatives, at best they're just juice.

There's nothing your body needs to be cleansed OF. As jessef pointed out, a functioning liver and kindeys does that job for you.

A lot of people like cleanses because it makes them feel like they're doing something positive for their health, and they often produce water weight loss. That water weight loss is quickly regained once normal eating is resumed.

You can accomplish that positive feeling without spending any extra money while taking the first steps towards forming lasting habits that will see you through permanent weight loss.

Hope this helps.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I did a cleanse a few years ago. Wildrose detox it was called. Basically it was a vegan eating plan, low calories, low fat. All I did for 10 days was poop lol. It was supposed to be 14 days but I couldn't make it. I was exhausted, cranky, dizzy and it was just a horrible time.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I understand the need to somehow make the beginning of your weight loss "special". Somehow a "kickstart" helps the brain get in gear...at least for me.

What I usually do is make a trip to the store and stock my fridge and pantry with healthy options. I buy a notebook to journal in with meals that I am going to cook and a general plan.

I then prep several meals and put in my fridge so that I have options readily available.

I wish you luck regardless of which route you take.

Oh...and I second the skinnytaste.com site. She has some great recipes and I find they are easily changeable to whatever ingredients that I have on hand.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I had gastro yesterday. It was horrible. I don't get why an unplanned bout of that is called illness, but a planned bout is called a cleanse!

I had a bad reaction to antibiotics that lasted the better part of a year.

I can't imagine paying for the "privilege".