Low Carb diet but minimize animal fats

Options
I need to lower my A1C from 6.1 to 5.6-5.8 in 4 months or my doctor wants to put me on Statins. And she says red meat no more than 1-2 times per week and few animal fats.

I just started with a registered dietician who wants my carbs to come down to 120g/day, protein at 120g/day and fat at 88g/day on a 1800 cal/day intake.. I'm struggling to marry up these two recommendations and meet my goal.

Help!

Replies

• 890emma
    890emma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fish is the answer
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Avcocado, nuts... and yes fish is a great protein in this context.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore the animal fat recommendation - avoid industrial seed oils like the plague being sure to get my fats from whole foods like meat, eggs, nuts, dairy etc. - follow the dieticians recommended macros and see what happens in four months.

At four months if my A1C wasn't acceptable I'd reduce my carbs further and increase my exercise. If in another four months my A1C still wasn't good I'd consider limiting red meat. I'd never take statins. But if you'd like to comply with your doctor and dietician fish and nuts work too. :p

Best wishes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Statins? For high blood glucose (shown in elevated A1c)? This doesn't make sense to me. Statins are used to reduce inflammation and lower overall cholesterol (including HDL and the healthier forms of LDL along with the LDL-B ). An elevated A1C often leads to metformin if dietary and lifestyle changes don't work, but statins? That's odd.... Did they perhaps say metformin and you mistyped?

I would NEVER take statins for elevated A1c. TBH, as a middle aged woman, I would NEVER take statins for elevated cholesterol unless I had already experienced a coronary event. My opinion for my circumstances though.

Consider joining the low carber daily MFP group. They can help you menu plan for a diet that would cause a lower A1C. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Your dietician doesn't think animal products are good? That's pretty old school. Meat and thier saturated fats are usually beneficial to a lipid profile and BG levels. Highly processed meats aren't as healthy but porkchops, a beef roast, or bison meatloaf is healthy, from what I have learned.

I do agree that daily fish would be very healthy is you choose to avoid red meat.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Statins? For high blood glucose (shown in elevated A1c)?
    I doubt the physician is recommending the statins for elevated HbA1c, but is going to prescribe them based on risk numbers from the results of a lipid panel, all other factors and a diabetes or pre-diabetes diagnosis.

The newer recommendations for statins would put virtually every diabetic on one, and most with pre-diabetes. Which is ridiculous for so many reasons, but it's what most physicians are being taught is best - regardless of what the actual risk shows.

The first problem is the risk calculators are inherently wrong. Regardless of the calculator you look at, when you actually compare the risk a calculator generates with the actual risk based on all the current statistical data we have, the calculators are overestimating risk by 37-154%. This extreme overestimation of risk is confirmed in multiple studies now. But most physicians are not aware.

The second problem is all risk calculators increase risk with age, to a point where every person, regardless of all other risk factors, ends up on a statin simply because they're elderly. I'm sure everyone agrees that ludicrous.

If you need to improve your cholesterol profile - simply reducing (or better - eliminating) refined carbohydrate and refined fats/oils will do a tremendous job of turning those numbers around. The improvement in your HDL/Trig ratio (one of the best predictors of CVD) will be amazing. Reducing the overall percentage of carbohydrate in the diet will also reduce overall blood glucose readings, which should improve HbA1c as well.

Also, if you NEED to comply with the Dr's advice on red meat - then yes, fish is a very healthy way to get high quality proteins and fats - and its inclusion in diet generally lowers triglycerides which will be favourable on your next lipid panel.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I doubt the physician is recommending the statins for elevated HbA1c, but is going to prescribe them based on risk numbers from the results of a lipid panel and a diabetes or pre-diabetes diagnosis.

The newer recommendations for statins would put virtually every diabetic on one, and most with pre-diabetes. Which is ridiculous for so many reasons, but it's what most physicians are being taught is best - regardless of what the actual risk shows.

The first problem is the risk calculators are inherently wrong. Regardless of the calculator you look at, when you actually compare the risk a calculator generates with the actual risk based on all the current statistical data we have, the calculators are overestimating risk by 37-154%. This extreme overestimation of risk is confirmed in multiple studies now. But most physicians are not aware.

The second problem is all risk calculators increase risk with age, to a point where every person, regardless of all other risk factors, ends up on a statin simply because they're elderly. I'm sure everyone agrees that ludicrous.

If you need to improve your cholesterol profile - simply reducing (or better - eliminating) refined carbohydrate and refined fats/oils will do a tremendous job of turning those numbers around. The improvement in your HDL/Trig ratio (one of the best predictors of CVD) will be amazing. Reducing the overall percentage of carbohydrate in the diet will also reduce overall blood glucose readings, which should improve HbA1c as well.

It's a shame doctors are trained that way now. :(

My mother's doctor did that to her. She is obese but has great cholesterol. The side effects of the statins were horrible for her. I was livid her doctor did that to her once we finally figured out the cause of all her new health problems/side effects.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    dunhamdj3 wrote: »
    I need to lower my A1C from 6.1 to 5.6-5.8 in 4 months or my doctor wants to put me on Statins. And she says red meat no more than 1-2 times per week and few animal fats.

I just started with a registered dietician who wants my carbs to come down to 120g/day, protein at 120g/day and fat at 88g/day on a 1800 cal/day intake.. I'm struggling to marry up these two recommendations and meet my goal.

Help!

I think a lot of us are getting contrary advice. Me too. They want us to keep fats low, old school for cholesterol, but they want us to lower carbohydrates, new school (but really old, old school) to reduce A1C. We have to eat something. So, I would suggest you join:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There are many different styles of dieters there. I live with a diabetic who was told to lower carbs to ketogenic levels which worked really well for A1C levels. I am a non diabetic and doing that raised my LDL, so I was told to go low fat, old school. I feel better lower carb. what to do? I have raised my fiber a lot and I have reduced my fat a good deal.

There are a lot of opinions in the medical profession and there are a lot of opinions here too. Diabetes, IMO, is much worse that a raised cholesterol profile. Statins are a problem, for some people, and they are over prescribed. But the jury is still out on cholesterol profiles and you can have a conversation about this with your doctor once your A1C is more normal. The jury has spoken about diabetes. Bad for you in so many ways. I would lower my carbs and eat more fish and nuts and not stress about too much fat until A1C is down. IMO
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Most of the education physicians receive about statins - the benefits, who should be on them, the side-effects ... is delivered by other physicians being paid by pharmaceutical companies to promote them.

Most of what I mention re: statins above is also well-documented in docsopinion - a great bog by Icelandic Cardiologist Dr. Axel Sigurdsson. http://www.docsopinion.com/2016/10/17/targeting-statin-treatment-biolmage/

Also important re: physicians training - What most haven't been educated in is the undeniable correlation between statins and diabetes. And by this I'm suggesting an unknown mechanism whereby statins induce diabetes. It's one of the possible side effects that - regardless of the fact that correlation doesn't equal causation - cannot be overlooked. It's a HUGE, undeniable correlation in literally DOZENS of studies.

The statins/diabetes connection is well documented here: http://www.docsopinion.com/2015/03/15/cholesterol-and-diabetes-time-to-let-the-cat-out-of-the-bag/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Avcocado, nuts... and yes fish is a great protein in this context.

Agree with this.

I think it should also be fine to talk to the RD about your difficulties with the two recommendations and to seek some guidance.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Most of the education physicians receive about statins - the benefits, who should be on them, the side-effects ... is delivered by other physicians being paid by pharmaceutical companies to promote them.

Most of what I mention re: statins above is also well-documented in docsopinion - a great bog by Icelandic Cardiologist Dr. Axel Sigurdsson. http://www.docsopinion.com/2016/10/17/targeting-statin-treatment-biolmage/

Also important re: physicians training - What most haven't been educated in is the undeniable correlation between statins and diabetes. And by this I'm suggesting an unknown mechanism whereby statins induce diabetes. It's one of the possible side effects that - regardless of the fact that correlation doesn't equal causation - cannot be overlooked. It's a HUGE, undeniable correlation in literally DOZENS of studies.

The statins/diabetes connection is well documented here: http://www.docsopinion.com/2015/03/15/cholesterol-and-diabetes-time-to-let-the-cat-out-of-the-bag/
    Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing this!
  • dunhamdj3
    dunhamdj3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I doubt the physician is recommending the statins for elevated HbA1c, but is going to prescribe them based on risk numbers from the results of a lipid panel, all other factors and a diabetes or pre-diabetes diagnosis.

Also, if you NEED to comply with the Dr's advice on red meat - then yes, fish is a very healthy way to get high quality proteins and fats - and its inclusion in diet generally lowers triglycerides which will be favourable on your next lipid panel.

• dunhamdj3
    Options
    Thank you all, don't feel alone. Yes my doctor used a new risk assessment software that recommended statins. In Feb. 2016, my cholesterol was down to 200 (10% down from 35 years ago) but after 3 months of lots of travel it just went to 228 (which was good 35 years ago till they revised what good is). My good cholesterol is good as are my ratios. Bad cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose need work.

Btw, I have been working out 5 days a week with a trainer for 18 months yet my numbers got worse. Guess it really is exercise AND diet.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    And stress. Travel stress could have raised your total cholesterol all on its own.

I would skip total cholesterol readings in general. HDL, triglycerides and the types of LDL (if you can get it) and much, much more informative.
  • dunhamdj3
    Options
    I challenged both and got GP to back off animal fats except dairy fat. Still moved to whole milk lattes after RD explained what making skim milk did to it.

Now off to cardiologist to put off an APAP machine to give me time to thin down. Any non-CPAP ideas for low O2 levels when sleeping? I expect little alcohol will help. Chin strap to keep mouth shut? Thank you all for the help!