Working out makes me gain weight.

Options
Hey guys,

I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to loose weight since november and now I started working out. I did some HIT Training witg weight training two days ago. Today I weighed in and actually gained 3lbs.
Shouldnt it be other way round?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Lolbit wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to loose weight since november and now I started working out. I did some HIT Training witg weight training two days ago. Today I weighed in and actually gained 3lbs.
    Shouldnt it be other way round?

Thanks for the help.

Maybe ur eating too much calories. But sometimes when you first start strength training you retain water for a month or more. It eventually goes away.
  • shaun823
    shaun823 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If this is the beginning, it's probably just water retention. Depending on how long you've been working out, it could be muscle too, as muscle is heavier than fat. Definitely nothing more annoying or discouraging than to start a workout plan to lose weight, only to see the numbers go up. I get it. But trust the process -- if your diet is right and you're working out, you'll start to see that weight come down. Lastly, It's best to focus more on how your body looks than the number on the scale. Of course you want that number to go down, but you can lose 10+ pounds and still have the exact same body composition (muscle and fat) that you had before. Just try to focus on how much better you feel and the physical changes in your body composition. That will be more a testament to your fitness than the number on the scale. You'll get there, you can do it! :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As other have stated when you start a new training program it is normal to retain a lite bit of water. Also weight naturally fluctuates. Mine changes 3-4lbs depending on time of day and when I have TOM it can jump up by as much as 10lb for a few days.

If you are in a deficit you will lose but don't expect it to be a consistent amount with no ups and downs. Its the trend over time that matters. And with strength training you will look tighter and more toned as you lose. You are doing the right things.
  • Lolbit
    Lolbit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, never expected that much feedback. I guess it is water, then. I feel sore as hell all over my body so that would explain it. :) I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Also, maybe anyone got some tips for muscle soreness? ;) I keep massaging it and cooling it from time to time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    For sore muscles: Stretching, foam roller, self-massage (by hand, tennis ball, lacrosse ball, even a rolling pin from the kitchen), warm bath, Jacuzzi, drink plenty of water, keep moving (mild things, like walking/stretching, instead of sitting still for long periods and letting things tighten up), cold pack (best right after workout IME), heating pad, some people like Arnica ointment/gel (some say it's woo), OTC liniments/muscle-rubs, some people even take OTC pain relievers (I don't).

Keep working out, too, as long as you're just sore, not injured: The first couple workouts are the worst, then your body starts to adapt to the particular thing and it's not as severe even if you're increasing weight/volume. Stopping & restarting just puts you through the start-up phase over and over. But do take a rest day (for the particular body parts) between workouts of the same muscle groups, if you're working hard enough to have sore muscles.
  • Lolbit
    Lolbit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Will try some of these ideas, thank you. I've got a foam roller, so I'll try that in a few mins.

I'm not really injured, I just cant really stretch out my left arm, it's the worst from all of my entire body. I had that one year ago when I went to the gym and overdid it a little bit, lol. I'll leave out the arm tomorrow in my next workout.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yup, water retention, I can gain up to 6lb through unaccustomed exertion, it's normal and temporary.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates up to 7 pounds on any given day.

its just water retention.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The sore arm will be retaining water too, it's necessary for the healing process whenever you hurt yourself.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a really good workout! Your muscles will feel better in a few days. Epsom salts in the bath is meant to help.
    I am going to start weight training again soon and have the same beginners' aches and pains to look forward too!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water weight
  • chaniess
    chaniess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, just had a discussion about this at hospital at my check up with the dietitian, she said to aim to eat 90% protein, and to work with weights on your legs and your arm muscle, she explained that as you gain muscle you will start losing the fat. She also said that in the beginning you will put on weight, but then when it starts working for you the weight will come off and produce a leaner you. Hope all she said was true and encouraging for you.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. That will help with the soreness and make you less hungry
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    chaniess wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, just had a discussion about this at hospital at my check up with the dietitian, she said to aim to eat 90% protein, and to work with weights on your legs and your arm muscle, she explained that as you gain muscle you will start losing the fat. She also said that in the beginning you will put on weight, but then when it starts working for you the weight will come off and produce a leaner you. Hope all she said was true and encouraging for you.

90%? Wow, that's the most I've ever seen recommended anywhere. Is there any chance she may've said 90 grams? That would be in the normal range for a mid-sized woman, perhaps a little on the higher side of normal.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Lolbit wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, never expected that much feedback. I guess it is water, then. I feel sore as hell all over my body so that would explain it. :) I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Also, maybe anyone got some tips for muscle soreness? ;) I keep massaging it and cooling it from time to time.

For soreness try yoga! I love yoga and it helps stretch and relax those tight muscles! You can also log them as working out. You dont burn alot of calories but it will help stretch you out!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    chaniess wrote: »

90% protein is not required and you need a calorie deficit to lose fat, not more muscle.