HELP! I need motivation & HELP. I'm begging!

Options

Replies

• MrsBeia17
    MrsBeia17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Summer, you are already doing better than the day before because you've made up your mind to work on you. I look at it like this...if I can give myself to my job for 8 hrs a day, I can give my all to at least 30 min a day for myself. Youtube has tons of workouts from beginner to advanced. Stay encouraged and keep pushing forward!
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 71 active and was on Jenny Craig
    Budget gas made me forgo and instead try frozen food like jenny
    Measure,write or log all food walk indoors UTube videos free
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes what^^^^^ said
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When someone says they need motivation, this is my go-to post on MFP:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

• Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You made a good start already by joking MFP! Lots of helpful people on here. You can do this! Add me if you want
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me we can motivate and support each other: )
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've added you! Happy to help, you can message me if you like :)
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You are already on the right track just by starting mfp :-) Start by logging everything especially the things that can be easy to forget like spices & condiments. Be honest with your logging and with yourself. Be patient. Don't deprive yourself of the foods you love.
    I'll add you, I'd be happy to help :-) Feel free to message me!
  • 4sumpi
    4sumpi Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello there. I know that my post will likely be unpopular and torn down because I do not agree that with such a large amount of weight to lose, you need to lose only 1-1.5 pounds per week. Looking at something clinically and living it are two different things. I weighed 295 in October and lost 40 pounds in 10 weeks. Many people LOVE to tell me how unhealthy it is to lose weight quickly (because being 120 pounds overweight ISN'T unhealthy.) It is all well and good for someone who wants to lose 20 pounds to tell you to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week, but if you want to lose 250 pounds, that will take 5 years. I know just having 120# to lose and looking at a 2 year commitment to losing all that weight seemed so overwhelming that I had just given up (for 20 years.) I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, but I have been overweight or obese my entire life, so even though I can never know exactly how you feel, I have a pretty good idea. If you want to email me, I will tell you my story and maybe something I say can help you find a starting point. BTW, I live in the Florida Panhandle...where do you live in AL? I hope to hear from you. I guess there is a way to add me as a friend on here too [personal details removed by mods]...I hope to hear from you soon.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    4sumpi wrote: »
    Hello there. I know that my post will likely be unpopular and torn down because I do not agree that with such a large amount of weight to lose, you need to lose only 1-1.5 pounds per week. Looking at something clinically and living it are two different things. I weighed 295 in October and lost 40 pounds in 10 weeks. Many people LOVE to tell me how unhealthy it is to lose weight quickly (because being 120 pounds overweight ISN'T unhealthy.) It is all well and good for someone who wants to lose 20 pounds to tell you to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week, but if you want to lose 250 pounds, that will take 5 years. I know just having 120# to lose and looking at a 2 year commitment to losing all that weight seemed so overwhelming that I had just given up (for 20 years.) I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, but I have been overweight or obese my entire life, so even though I can never know exactly how you feel, I have a pretty good idea. If you want to email me, I will tell you my story and maybe something I say can help you find a starting point. BTW, I live in the Florida Panhandle...where do you live in AL? I hope to hear from you. I guess there is a way to add me as a friend on here too, but I would likely check my email more often. If you want to contact me, my email is xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com...I hope to hear from you soon.

I agree that she might need to lose more weight than 1 - 1 1/2 lbs a week due to the health issues that she mentioned. Don't you think however that because of those health issues that she should be getting medical advice from her doctor and a dietitian instead of a complete stranger off the internet that admits they are no doctor or dietitian?

The starting point that you have offered to help her find should be a trip to her doctor! She has health issues that you are not qualified to give advice on.
  • shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I see so much great advice! And I think you should take note of it all but we can't give you your motivation, only support. You have to make a decision to make a commitment and stay with it. I'm sure there are plenty of stories like yours with successful endings. You could try adding people similar to you to help you feel more comfortable. Everyone I've seen on here is super friendly. Feel free to add me for support!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'd head to your primary care doctor for a visit and a range of standard blood tests. From there I would seek a Registered Dietician at your local near by hospital that has a Wellness program. Find out what is covered under your insurance, you might visit a bariatric clinic for a first visit appointment or introductory meeting. Not all bariatric care involves surgery. Many can help you with programs that don't involve surgery. Don't wait.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Welcome Summer.

I would say start by tracking everything you eat and drink. See where the bulk of your calories come from, and make small adjustments.

The first intentional step I would suggest is beverage. Don't drink your calories. I only drink water and coffee (with milk). Soda, even diet, fruit juice, energy drinks, even Gatorade are just liquid sugar.

Also, at your weight, and in light of your health problems, I would say that working with your doctor and/or a licensed nutritionist is really fundamental, at least at first.
  • natasha_hal1
    natasha_hal1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Summer!! I just want to say it is so amazing that you are beginning this adventure to a healthy lifestyle. :) I KNOW you can do it and I am excited to follow you on your journey! The first thing I would recommend is seeing your doctor and he/she can tell you best what your calorie intake should be and about how much you should lose a week. The one thing that you can easily cut from your diet are drinks that contain lots of calories. Try implementing more water or lower calorie drinks in your diet. Instead, you can use these extra calories you have left over to eat more. I would focus on the nutrition aspect only when you start your journey and when you feel comfortable with it, start adding in 15 minutes of walking a day. Good luck :)
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Sadly Summer has not signed back in since Jan 7th.
  • jsdvasquez
    jsdvasquez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Start walking. When I didn't have a gym membership I would walk around the perimeter of the park 3 times per day for 4 days per week. That was the first change I made. As I felt my pants loosen I got motivated to start watching what I ate and started logging everything into this app. Don't get overwhelmed, just stay focused on getting through every individual day. Good luck!!
  • katiepoo22
    katiepoo22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 315 you just have to start! I started cutting out all the crap like my weakness is choc and sweets and replace with healthy cereal, cereal bars, calorie count, or keep a note on what u are eating try to get moving once you've lost a bit I know how hard it is to exercise when you're heavy just take your time start off slow
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Guys I think she is gone- she hasn't replied even once in this post and her last login to myfitnesspal was January 7th the day after creating this post.

I often wonder what happens with users like this. They literally beg for support and advice, they receive it, and then... nothing.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    I went back and read the posts on the 6th and 7th. Everyone was trying to be supportive.

There was one though...a long long posts filled with do's and don'ts...it would have frightened me to "run away".

I am leaving this thread bookmarked...hopefully she will show back up when she is ready.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I went back and read the posts on the 6th and 7th. Everyone was trying to be supportive.

There was one though...a long long posts filled with do's and don'ts...it would have frightened me to "run away".

I am leaving this thread bookmarked...hopefully she will show back up when she is ready.

Yes I hope so! If not at least there's plenty of great advice for others to benefit from.