Muscle does not weight more then fat

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Here's a visual

lp0ervg0ycoq.jpg

Wrong, muscle does not occupy less space than fat. 1 cm³ of fat is the same size as 1 cm³ of muscle! :wink:

bloody hell this debate is never ending. lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    To those who insist that muscle does not weigh more than fat because one LB of muscle is the same as one LB of fat (ignoring that volume is implied in the statement), I am truly curious:

Do you really think that other people are confused about whether one LB of something weighs the same as one LB of something else? When people say (incorrectly, obviously) that someone dieting for a few weeks and adding in some exercise might not have lost because muscle weighs more than fat, do you imagine that they think that 1 LB of muscle shows up as 2 LB on the scale or something?

Because it would never cross my mind that anyone could think something so weird. It's kind of insulting, really.

(Of course, the misunderstanding implicit in "don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat" is equally offbase, but probably less obviously so to most. It's the idea that if you lost a particular volume of fat you are likely to have gained a similar volume of muscle, and of course that's not so -- to gain that much muscle volume in the time involved would be extremely difficult--impossible, in fact--in most cases we are talking about.)

@lemurcat12
    I cringe when I hear the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" - same reaction when I see "I want to loose weight" or "when I weight myself", "I literally died of embarrassment", or using "like" as like punctuation, like... ;)
    (Yes I do a lot of cringing!)

To answer you question about what do I think....
    Option 1 - they are genuinely ignorant about the difference between density and weight. With the poor standard of science education ignorance simply isn't uncommon - that's not judgemental just stating that many people lack knowledge. A "calorie isn't just a calorie" is another example.

Option 2 - they do mean to imply by volume but simply don't think using the appropriate terminology is important. A bit like saying "I weigh my food with spoons and cups". I happen to think using the right terminology only improves communication but am prepared to accept that I'm old-fashioned. There's not really a right and wrong on this. I think it's important to state things accurately but someone else might take the view "you know what I really mean so it doesn't matter". Wouldn't it be dull if we all thought the same way?

Option 3 - they are mindlessly parroting a common phrase they have seen or heard and repeat it without even thinking whether it makes sense of not. Road safety campaigns use the slogan "speed kills" and it becomes part of common language although speed alone clearly doesn't kill.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    To those who insist that muscle does not weigh more than fat because one LB of muscle is the same as one LB of fat (ignoring that volume is implied in the statement), I am truly curious:

Do you really think that other people are confused about whether one LB of something weighs the same as one LB of something else? When people say (incorrectly, obviously) that someone dieting for a few weeks and adding in some exercise might not have lost because muscle weighs more than fat, do you imagine that they think that 1 LB of muscle shows up as 2 LB on the scale or something?

Because it would never cross my mind that anyone could think something so weird. It's kind of insulting, really.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But I've browsed several of the "muscle weighs more than fat" discussions here where it's clear that at least one person does not understand mass or volume, which is why I brace myself a bit when someone says "of course a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle" - there are some folks for whom that is not an obvious statement.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's a visual

lp0ervg0ycoq.jpg

Wrong, muscle does not occupy less space than fat. 1 cm³ of fat is the same size as 1 cm³ of muscle! :wink:

Heh! Exactly.
  • Angiepeg
    Angiepeg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK - an equal volume of fat will weigh less than an equal VOLUME of muscle - of course a pound of anything will weigh the same as a pound of anything else. Put a pound of feathers on a table and put a pound of potatoes next to them and you should be able to work out the difference between weight and volume.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

You would think so, wouldn't you? But I've browsed several of the "muscle weighs more than fat" discussions here where it's clear that at least one person does not understand mass or volume, which is why I brace myself a bit when someone says "of course a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle" - there are some folks for whom that is not an obvious statement.

I don't know, I really have not seen anyone for whom that is so in these discussions. I've seen lots of people assuming that is so, and I am genuinely wondering why they assume that.

I wish before pedantically correcting someone it would at least be asked "do you mean that you think 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat," because I am close to 100% certain that the answer would be "of course not, I mean given the same amount of both (volume, that is, although they might not add this), the muscle would weigh more.

IMO that is ALWAYS implicit in the statement.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

(Of course, the misunderstanding implicit in "don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat" is equally offbase, but probably less obviously so to most. It's the idea that if you lost a particular volume of fat you are likely to have gained a similar volume of muscle, and of course that's not so -- to gain that much muscle volume in the time involved would be extremely difficult--impossible, in fact--in most cases we are talking about.)

@lemurcat12
    I cringe when I hear the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" - same reaction when I see "I want to loose weight" or "when I weight myself", "I literally died of embarrassment", or using "like" as like punctuation, like... ;)
    (Yes I do a lot of cringing!)

But these are all different:

(1) Loose is a misspelling (one that I agree is cringeworthy, in fact).

(2) Weight myself is almost certainly just a typo.

(3) Literally is commonly misused today and may be shifting in meaning or have as an alternative meaning not literally in an emphatic way: there was a great discussion of this (with lots of bemoaning of the misuse) in the Slate Lexicon Valley podcast a couple of years ago.

(4) Like is simply a slangy way of speaking that is most used by a demographic group not your own or seems too informal for some more formal uses where it is employed.

"Muscle weighs more than fat" assumes (as too obvious to be stated) that it is implied that we are discussing two things of equal volume, as why would we ever compare the weights of two things of equal weight? Seriously, why?
    To answer you question about what do I think....
    Option 1 - they are genuinely ignorant about the difference between density and weight. With the poor standard of science education ignorance simply isn't uncommon - that's not judgemental just stating that many people lack knowledge. A "calorie isn't just a calorie" is another example.

I disagree that they are ignorant of density vs. weight in the way you seem to be assuming (they think a lb of something is heavier than a lb of something else). They may not be able to use the term density (although many who say the phrase probably could and would use it correctly), but they could explain that they mean the same volume of both. Like, obviously, you know? (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

When people are confused about a calorie=a calorie, I think they don't understand that a calorie is a unit of measurement (which is why I think this is worth explaining). I think they genuinely see "calorie" as a synonym for food, which it is used as even by many who should know better (as this is confusing).
    Option 2 - they do mean to imply by volume but simply don't think using the appropriate terminology is important. A bit like saying "I weigh my food with spoons and cups". I happen to think using the right terminology only improves communication but am prepared to accept that I'm old-fashioned. There's not really a right and wrong on this. I think it's important to state things accurately but someone else might take the view "you know what I really mean so it doesn't matter". Wouldn't it be dull if we all thought the same way?

Okay, this I will accept, but then suggest that pedantically telling them something they probably already know isn't helpful and is insulting. Why not ask the question or make it clear the issue is not saying something you think needs to be said (and that I personally do not, and many others do not).
    Option 3 - they are mindlessly parroting a common phrase they have seen or heard and repeat it without even thinking whether it makes sense of not. Road safety campaigns use the slogan "speed kills" and it becomes part of common language although speed alone clearly doesn't kill.

I do think this is part of it, but not because they think they are comparing one lb to one lb (no one thinks that) but because they think the things they are comparing would have equal volume when they obviously would not -- that's what people should be called on, as well as they assumptions about how easy it is to build muscle.

Just my opinion, of course!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I don't know, I really have not seen anyone for whom that is so in these discussions. I've seen lots of people assuming that is so, and I am genuinely wondering why they assume that.

I wish before pedantically correcting someone it would at least be asked "do you mean that you think 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat," because I am close to 100% certain that the answer would be "of course not, I mean given the same amount of both (volume, that is, although they might not add this), the muscle would weigh more.

IMO that is ALWAYS implicit in the statement.

ITA. There are plenty of instances in language where details that are understood are not stated. I think the phrase irks some people because it's become a catchphrase in the health & fitness industry.

It seems like a pretty clear statement to me. I've never spoken with anyone who didn't get what it meant.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    In the 136 Pound Photo, that woman is sucking it up and sucking it in. Or maybe the poster got the numbers reversed.....
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Here's a visual

lp0ervg0ycoq.jpg

bloody hell this debate is never ending. lol
    Which is why I just read and stay waaaaay the heck over here lol.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    In the 136 Pound Photo, that woman is sucking it up and sucking it in. Or maybe the poster got the numbers reversed.....

No, No, no.

Read this article......
    http://www.niashanks.com/stop-weighing-on-the-scale-for-weight-loss/

or just google .....gained weight but look thinner/dropped sizes

Why is this so hard?

This is why we tell people to weight train.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    More reasons the scale should be just one more data input, not your end goal

laen820ey9ks.png
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I think these kinds of photos need to show the person in the same outfit, with the same expression, with the same hair, both with or without glasses, same lighting, showing same side, just identical in every way pics, otherwise I don't buy it. Kind of like those weight loss before and after photos, where there are so many obvious silly things wrong with the comparison, could have even been the same person in each at the same time of shooting.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    CatOfTheGa...-LOL. Fact, NO muscle does not weigh more then fat? Weight is weight. How can you say that after first saying you have 'a degree' in this "stuff"? I think you are now trolling this post.......no other explanation.

I bet you would also say that "It was on sale, so I made money on the purchase".

• lemurcat12
    Options
    I think these kinds of photos need to show the person in the same outfit, with the same expression, with the same hair, both with or without glasses, same lighting, showing same side, just identical in every way pics, otherwise I don't buy it. Kind of like those weight loss before and after photos, where there are so many obvious silly things wrong with the comparison, could have even been the same person in each at the same time of shooting.

What aren't you buying? That people can ever look thinner/more fit at a heavier weight? That they can is so obvious that it's not really necessary to even post a photo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights or doing 'muscle strengthening' exercises, the assumption would be that you are building muscle.

I am 5'10" and 202, down from 213. I need to be around 185. So are you saying that my every other day upper body weight training is not building ANY muscle while I am losing weight?

I am not arguing or disagreeing, I am trying to get an answer.
    There are a few exceptions to the rule, but to build muscle means to add mass. To add mass means to add weight. To add weight means you need a surplus not a deficit. When you weight train while losing weight, you're working on retaining what muscle you have, not adding to it.
    To carry that logic a bit further, if I am wanting to look like I looked before, which is tone with muscle, your logic says that I can't build muscle until I start eating more then my maintain weight, or when I am NOT in a deficit. Sorry, that just does not compute. Maybe someone can elaborate more on how this really is the case.

Why is it that I am already feeling muscle and some is already showing up? Is it just an illusion?
    It's showing because you have less fat covering it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    When I first started weightlifting I thought I could lose weight and gain muscle. Then I was told I couldn't and I was really upset. So I did a ton of research and guess what? You can't gain muscle while in a caloric deficit. That's why there is cutting and bulking.

In a bulking phase you eat above maintenance and build muscle (and you will gain some fat). Then you go into a cutting phase where you maintain the muscle you have by continuing to lift but eat at a caloric deficit and lose weight. The lost weight will reveal the muscles you gained while in the bulking phase.

There's more to it if you dig into it, like macros, etc.
This discussion has been closed.