Muscle does not weight more then fat

Options

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Since we're being pedantic, a pint of water does not weigh a pound. Not even that close.

Be that as it may, would you say the rest of it is ok to get the question of volume across?

She certainly makes the point that measurements can be a better guide than weight in some cases. I'm still scratching my head over "weight is an optical illusion", though.
    That wasn't the best choice of words lol.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    By the logic behind the argument that "muscle does not weigh more than fat because one pound of muscles weighs the same as one pound of fat," nothing weighs more than anything. An elephant doesn't weigh more than a mouse, because one pound of elephant weigh the same as one pound of mouse (or mice, I guess, unless we're talking about a rodent of unusual size). I don't weigh any more now than I did in high school, because one pound of me now weighs the same as one pound of me in high school. Yeah! I weigh the same as I did in high school! I guess I can stop watching my weight!

LOL.....i weigh the same as i did when i was a baby...theres just "more of me" nowdays
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Since we're being pedantic, a pint of water does not weigh a pound. Not even that close.

?? I just weighed a pint of water (U.S. pint of 16 fl. oz. or approximately 480 ml) on my kitchen scale and got 1 lb, 3/4 oz. I was assuming some combination of inaccuracy in my eye-balling of the measurement, the cup itself, or the scale accounted for the extra 3/4 oz.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    lemur, I can take two pics of myself right now and put a caption on each saying 220 and 195 and it would be believable. I can relax my belly, and bend back a little more to really make that belly look softer and larger. In the other pick I can suck it in, flex, lean forward a little, mix in a tight fitting shirt versus a sleeveless shirt, pants that make my waist look smaller, and you would think I had lost 25 pounds.

The best ads I have seen are the ones that show the before person facing front with terrible lighting and the after showing the person from the side with great lighting. The after person is standing taller too, and smiling when the before diet person is not smiling. Add in some tussled hair in the first versus well groomed in the second, and you have what most adds look like for the b.s. weight loss pills and programs.

Oh and yes, paper can be very heavy. Every ounce and pound of it. That pound of paper weighs the same as a pound of feathers.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    KIMMY NO!!! A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. It is one pound. One Pound = One Pound. One Ounce = One Ounce.

This will help answer another persons question in this thread about "Are there really people who think muscle weighs more then fat?" Yes, there are people who think this. This thread is living proof of it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    KIMMY NO!!! A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. It is one pound. One Pound = One Pound. One Ounce = One Ounce.

This will help answer another persons question in this thread about "Are there really people who think muscle weighs more then fat?" Yes, there are people who think this. This thread is living proof of it.

Dude...
    1) her name is kimny, not kimmy
    2) she never implied that pound of one substance weighs more than a pound of another. She said that in equal volumes one substance would weigh more. She also said that the equal volume is implied in the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat."
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Well, at least now I know who is confused. Maybe you should do some research on what volume is.

If you took a block of fat that weighed one pound, and then you took a block of muscle of the same size, it would weigh more than 1 pound.

Just like if you take 2 bricks of the same size, one is made of plastic and one is made of concrete, the concrete is heavier. Equal volume, different weight.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

?? I just weighed a pint of water (U.S. pint of 16 fl. oz. or approximately 480 ml) on my kitchen scale and got 1 lb, 3/4 oz. I was assuming some combination of inaccuracy in my eye-balling of the measurement, the cup itself, or the scale accounted for the extra 3/4 oz.

480ml of fresh water weighs 480g. A pound is 454g. Granted it's not a million miles off but it's quite far from being the same (about an ounce of difference).

An Imperial pint like we use in the UK is approx 570ml, so an Imperial pint of fresh water weighs 570g, which is miles off.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to have completely missed the humor in my first post, I'll take a stab at responding seriously.
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    By the logic behind the argument that "muscle does not weigh more than fat because one pound of muscles weighs the same as one pound of fat," nothing weighs more than anything. An elephant doesn't weigh more than a mouse, because one pound of elephant weigh the same as one pound of mouse (or mice, I guess, unless we're talking about a rodent of unusual size). I don't weigh any more now than I did in high school, because one pound of me now weighs the same as one pound of me in high school. Yeah! I weigh the same as I did in high school! I guess I can stop watching my weight!

Not really. One lb of anything is one lb. One lb of muscle is one lb. One lb of fat is one lb. One lb of elephant meat is one lb. A one lb mouse is one lb.

Exactly what I said, so how is what you're saying "not really"?
    What is meant by 'muscle weighs more than fat' is that one lb of muscle takes up less space than one lb of fat (muscle is more dense). One lb of you now DOES weigh the same as one lb of you did in high school (assuming you keep the composition of whatever part we cut off the same). There are more TOTAL lbs of you now, so you are bigger now (presumably). But a lb is still a lb (unless the gravitational pull of the earth changed?).

Well, no, the composition of the part of me you cut off doesn't matter, because both will be one pound.

An elephant is heavier than a mouse, not because one lb of elephant is heavier than one lb of mouse (that makes no logical sense). An elephant is heavier than a mouse because elephants are far bigger than mice. I don't know what their relative densities are though, so I don't know which would take up less volume, a lb of mouse or a lb of elephant... I'd guess the mouse, they seem like they'd be leaner, but I could be wrong :D

I was responding to the logic of people who compare one pound of muscle to one pound of fat to say that muscle weighs the same as fat. By that logic, everything in the universe weighs the same, because one pound of anything weighs the same as one pound of anything else. I was attempting to demonstrate the absurdity of their approach to the discussion by pointing out the logical consequences of applying their argument across the board.
    You can easily see the difference between weight and density at the grocery store. Go grab a 5 lb sack of flour. Then go into produce and grab a 5 lb sack of potatoes. Are they the same size? No. They weigh the same, but they are not the same size. Why? Density. Flour doesn't weigh less than potatoes, but it is more dense, so it takes up less space, at any given weight.

You forgot to tell me where to find the sacks of flour and explain what a grocery store is.

You said that based on the logic that one lb is one lb that you weigh the same as you did in high school. Assuming that isn't true (I really don't know, I do weigh what I weighed in high school), that is, you weigh more now than you did in high school, the only reason you weigh more now is because there are more pounds in total. The reason an elephant weighs more than a mouse is because there are more lbs of them. But one lb of elephant does weigh the same as one lb of mouse, and one lb of you now does weigh the same as one lb of you back in high school.

But, yes, one lb of anything weighs the same as one lb of anything else. I won't say in the universe because then we get into different planets and different gravitational pull. But here on earth, one lb is one lb. There is nothing "absurd" about that.

When does one lb of something not equal one lb of something else?

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    To those who insist that muscle does not weigh more than fat because one LB of muscle is the same as one LB of fat (ignoring that volume is implied in the statement), I am truly curious:

Do you really think that other people are confused about whether one LB of something weighs the same as one LB of something else? When people say (incorrectly, obviously) that someone dieting for a few weeks and adding in some exercise might not have lost because muscle weighs more than fat, do you imagine that they think that 1 LB of muscle shows up as 2 LB on the scale or something?

Because it would never cross my mind that anyone could think something so weird. It's kind of insulting, really.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But I've browsed several of the "muscle weighs more than fat" discussions here where it's clear that at least one person does not understand mass or volume, which is why I brace myself a bit when someone says "of course a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle" - there are some folks for whom that is not an obvious statement.

I don't know, I really have not seen anyone for whom that is so in these discussions. I've seen lots of people assuming that is so, and I am genuinely wondering why they assume that.

I wish before pedantically correcting someone it would at least be asked "do you mean that you think 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat," because I am close to 100% certain that the answer would be "of course not, I mean given the same amount of both (volume, that is, although they might not add this), the muscle would weigh more.

IMO that is ALWAYS implicit in the statement.

Someone in this thread did just that tho - claimed that by the logic of 1lb of anything is equal to 1 lb of anything else that mice and elephants weigh the same. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that "logic". And her post got "liked" and "awesomed" :o which means at least a few people agreed.

That's why it gets pointed out that a lb is a lb.

I'm assuming that the difference between you and the people who clicked like or awesome on my elephant and mice post is that their senses of humor are more in tune with mine, along with their recognition that I was undercutting the argument that "muscle weighs the same as fat because 1 lb of each weigh the same" by pointing out its logical absurdity when you apply it in other situations. Sorry that this has gotten you so riled up.

I've never seen anyone claim 10 lbs of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat. Never. So your mouse/elephant post is not the logical next step of saying one lb of muscle weighs the same as one lb of fat.

When people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean muscle is more dense. The muscle takes up less space at the same weight. But that doesn't mean one lb of muscle weighs more than one lb of fat. The latter also gets said from time to time, and gets corrected (and rightfully so).

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,743 Member
    Options

Given your vehemence, do you think then that muscle and fat are exactly the same thing? that gaining muscle is as bad as gaining fat? "The scale went up and that is all that matters. Eat less."
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

480ml of fresh water weighs 480g. A pound is 454g. Granted it's not a million miles off but it's quite far from being the same (about an ounce of difference).

An Imperial pint like we use in the UK is approx 570ml, so an Imperial pint of fresh water weighs 570g, which is miles off.

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if they used different sized pints or pounds in the days when the saying originated, or if 5% to 6% difference didn't seem worth worrying about to them.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

Given your vehemence, do you think then that muscle and fat are exactly the same thing? that gaining muscle is as bad as gaining fat? "The scale went up and that is all that matters. Eat less."

come on, this guy is trolling us. If you weren't sure before, that post was shouting sarcasm.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    To those who insist that muscle does not weigh more than fat because one LB of muscle is the same as one LB of fat (ignoring that volume is implied in the statement), I am truly curious:

Do you really think that other people are confused about whether one LB of something weighs the same as one LB of something else? When people say (incorrectly, obviously) that someone dieting for a few weeks and adding in some exercise might not have lost because muscle weighs more than fat, do you imagine that they think that 1 LB of muscle shows up as 2 LB on the scale or something?

Because it would never cross my mind that anyone could think something so weird. It's kind of insulting, really.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But I've browsed several of the "muscle weighs more than fat" discussions here where it's clear that at least one person does not understand mass or volume, which is why I brace myself a bit when someone says "of course a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle" - there are some folks for whom that is not an obvious statement.

I don't know, I really have not seen anyone for whom that is so in these discussions. I've seen lots of people assuming that is so, and I am genuinely wondering why they assume that.

I wish before pedantically correcting someone it would at least be asked "do you mean that you think 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat," because I am close to 100% certain that the answer would be "of course not, I mean given the same amount of both (volume, that is, although they might not add this), the muscle would weigh more.

IMO that is ALWAYS implicit in the statement.

Someone in this thread did just that tho - claimed that by the logic of 1lb of anything is equal to 1 lb of anything else that mice and elephants weigh the same. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that "logic". And her post got "liked" and "awesomed" :o which means at least a few people agreed.

That's why it gets pointed out that a lb is a lb.

I'm assuming that the difference between you and the people who clicked like or awesome on my elephant and mice post is that their senses of humor are more in tune with mine, along with their recognition that I was undercutting the argument that "muscle weighs the same as fat because 1 lb of each weigh the same" by pointing out its logical absurdity when you apply it in other situations. Sorry that this has gotten you so riled up.

I've never seen anyone claim 10 lbs of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat. Never. So your mouse/elephant post is not the logical next step of saying one lb of muscle weighs the same as one lb of fat.

When people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean muscle is more dense. The muscle takes up less space at the same weight. But that doesn't mean one lb of muscle weighs more than one lb of fat. The latter also gets said from time to time, and gets corrected (and rightfully so).

OK. You're still not understanding me. It doesn't seem worth trying to explain again.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »

come on, this guy is trolling us. If you weren't sure before, that post was shouting sarcasm.

;)

Although there are some folks who fear lifting weights because they don't want the scale to go up...
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with this whole phrase that I've heard so much in my life it's ridiculous.

The only times I have heard this phrase used is when someone thinks they are in a deficit, have gained weight, and then some trying to be helpful person comes and says "oh you're probably just gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat."

*insert me banging my head on a desk*

In all likelihood it's either a) they aren't in a deficit as they think or b) it's water weight.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    Here's my problem with this whole phrase that I've heard so much in my life it's ridiculous.

The only times I have heard this phrase used is when someone thinks they are in a deficit, have gained weight, and then some trying to be helpful person comes and says "oh you're probably just gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat."

*insert me banging my head on a desk*

In all likelihood it's either a) they aren't in a deficit as they think or b) it's water weight.

That is a logical response.
    Although some folks add the "A pound is a pound" phrase to that (correct) explanation, and I don't think it adds anything.
This discussion has been closed.