Type 2 Diabetic lets connect to keep pushing forward

Options
So I was recently diagnosed in May of 2016 and I have been trying hard to get my glucose under control to try and reverse... just want to know if there is anyone out there that is going through he same struggle. We can eat healthy together... even if you are non-diabetic smiley:

Replies

• kathleenmattox
    kathleenmattox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed yesterday. The Dr gave me 6 weeks to use diet to get my sugars under control.
  • ConcordDiet
    ConcordDiet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been teetering on Pre-diabetic for a couple of years now. Morning fasting sugar usually between 105 and 118. I've proven to myself that it can be better controlled by watching carbs. I can get it under 100 if I discipline myself. Easier said than done.
  • jbcisney
    jbcisney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For years I was Pre-diabetic, finally went over the threshold Jan 2016, was put on low dose meds... spent 6 months learning and struggling, finally figured out what worked for me.... last check up in August 2016 I was diagnosed as being in "remission" (because you never really are "cured")... all test scores middle of "normal" range, not even Pre-diabetic now, completely off meds. No more tingling feet, etc.

My best advice is to make small changes you can live with, then build on that and sneak in exercise: i.e. when you find yourself waiting/standing around, ask yourself “can I walk while I wait?”; if someone wants to chat… ask them to take a walk with you (rule at my desk, if the question/answer is going to take 5 min or more, then they have to walk with me.)

I use VivoFit3 and MFP... after 6 months of serious use I'm finally getting around to seeing what others are doing on here.

Good luck
  • topdogg71051
    topdogg71051 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is my motivation to get my weight and BMI under control. Working on exercise and educationing myself.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    if you diet is low carb or slow carbs, there are lots of diabetics and pre-diabetics over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

great resources too.
  • trevorw52
    trevorw52 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed type 2 last year. need to drop the weight. on meds i dont think i can reverse mine just dont want it to go to type 1.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    trevorw52 wrote: »
    i was diagnosed type 2 last year. need to drop the weight. on meds i dont think i can reverse mine just dont want it to go to type 1.

That is certainly my husband's reason for going low carb. The doctor suggested it and it has helped a great deal.
  • prdrivas
    prdrivas Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type 2 in 2003. I've gotten my numbers in control using a slow carb diet and exercise. I've managed to reduce, but not eliminate my meds. It's been a very long road with lots of trial and error. Just don't beat yourself up when you fall off the wagon. Get back on it again. You'll find what works for you over time.

It's been my experience that there are a lot of well-meaning medical professionals who will tell you things that will not work for you. Understand that you are in control. Do the things experience tells you will work. Gaining control really depends on who you are as an individual. One size does not fit all.
  • Rowellswales
    Rowellswales Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 5 years ago. Only reason was hereditary as no risk factors. I have also had a stroke 9 months ago - no known reason fro stroke. I am trying to take better control of diet mainly fats, sugar and salt. Happy to chat and share advice or opinion
  • jayjsee
    jayjsee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It runs in my family so I'm trying to avoid it, if I can. Let's eat healthy together!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group Great group of ppl to check out if you're T2 and looking to get healthier, stay motivated and be supportive with other members of MFP! :smiley:
  • Onyx_Eve
    Onyx_Eve Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am non-diabetic, but I can eat healthy, exercise and help motivate you! Good luck!