Crossfit vs gym

2»

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    There is no workout I'd regularly drive over an hour for, no matter how much I loved it.
  • revitupbrian
    revitupbrian Posts: 6 Member
    I started CrossFit three months ago now, three time a week. I do miss being able to go to the gym and workout at my own pace and focus on specific muscle groups. Fortunately, I only have to drive 20mins to get there but in rush hour traffic, which isn't fun.

Whatever you choose, you'll see results if you stick at it. CF is fun and more challenging for me.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Why don't you CF twice a week, say on Friday and at the weekend, when you might have more time.

And then gym on the other days. Be brave and use the squat rack! Once you've done it once, you'll be able to do it again. You can also do CF style training in the gym, EMOMs, AMRAPs, all the acronyms :smile:
  • revitupbrian
    revitupbrian Posts: 6 Member
    Elegra2006 wrote: »
    Why don't you CF twice a week, say on Friday and at the weekend, when you might have more time.

And then gym on the other days. Be brave and use the squat rack! Once you've done it once, you'll be able to do it again. You can also do CF style training in the gym, EMOMs, AMRAPs, all the acronyms :smile:

That's a good point.
    I changed my CF membership to twice a week (starting from next month) and retained my off-peak gym membership. So I can still go to the gym during lunchtime at work.

It works out quite expensive but I will assess it again in summer.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Why don't you CF twice a week, say on Friday and at the weekend, when you might have more time. And then gym on the other days.

^ I think this is great advice!

Shocked there's not a CrossFit box closer to you. It seems like anymore there's one around every corner...

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited January 2017

This is terrific! Especially if you can pay per class instead of monthly.
  • MikeinNOLA
    MikeinNOLA Posts: 91 Member
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    Crossfit is not really a lifting or muscle-building program. Someone doing crossfit will see some results in that area, but only the amount needed to adapt to the specific demands of the exercises.

Coulda fooled me. Deadlift, squat, bench, and olympic lifting alternating - four days a week. Tracked and recorded.

ETA:
    I though it might be helpful to explain the set up at my box.
    First is stretching & mobility (foam rolling, etc.)
    then warm up which is some lighter version of the workout of the day (WOD)
    then weight lifting/strength training
    then goal work, which is whatever thing an individual might be working on,
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

This is our programming format too....sometimes METCON then strength.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Absolutely no way I could justify adding 1.5 hours to my commute to just workout- to visit a friend once or twice a month? sure- but to lift 3 times a week? hell naw dawg.

I'd stick with the gym and if you can't adapt- and you can stomach the commute- then go back to cross fit.
    Crossfit is not really a lifting or muscle-building program. Someone doing crossfit will see some results in that area, but only the amount needed to adapt to the specific demands of the exercises.

Coulda fooled me. Deadlift, squat, bench, and olympic lifting alternating - four days a week. Tracked and recorded.

ETA:
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

I think the point was that cross fit only gets you good at crossfit- it generally (GENERALLY) doesn't have a long term training plan. Even the people who do the games don't actually do WODS- in the office seasons they go onto a regular OLY training cycle that's supplemented.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    IMO, since Crossfit is a HIIT program, the most you should do it is 3 times a week because it's rough on the nervous system. Then supplement other lifting (traditional) inbetween. I do know that Crossfit isn't cheap and usually runs around $150 a month average.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sara1791
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Absolutely no way I could justify adding 1.5 hours to my commute to just workout- to visit a friend once or twice a month? sure- but to lift 3 times a week? hell naw dawg.

I'd stick with the gym and if you can't adapt- and you can stomach the commute- then go back to cross fit.

ETA:
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

I think the point was that cross fit only gets you good at crossfit- it generally (GENERALLY) doesn't have a long term training plan. Even the people who do the games don't actually do WODS- in the office seasons they go onto a regular OLY training cycle that's supplemented.

Right, I agree - that is an aspect of not specializing. It's something I like about it. I'm not going to be an expert at any one thing, but I'll be pretty good at a lot of things.

Plus, in my area NO ONE in the gyms would teach me olympic lifts. My box offers actual classes.

I spoke to my coach about this today and he says yes, there is a wide variety of ways to do cross fit. Some boxes emphasize some aspects over others. I guess I'm glad I landed where I did.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

ETA:
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

Right, I agree - that is an aspect of not specializing. It's something I like about it. I'm not going to be an expert at any one thing, but I'll be pretty good at a lot of things.

Plus, in my area NO ONE in the gyms would teach me olympic lifts. My box offers actual classes.

I spoke to my coach about this today and he says yes, there is a wide variety of ways to do cross fit. Some boxes emphasize some aspects over others. I guess I'm glad I landed where I did.

Yeah- I frequently call cross fit the zumba of weight lifting.

and that's not meant to be a negative thing- zumba is GREAT- or can be. same as cross fit- it absolutely can be great.

You may see a chasse' or a mambo cha'cha- but I don't think anyone is going in there thinking it's a flat out dance class.

It checks a box. And it serves a purpose. Same with Cross Fit.
  • Sara1791
    edited January 2017

ETA:
    then WOD,
    then stretching.

Yeah- I frequently call cross fit the zumba of weight lifting.

and that's not meant to be a negative thing- zumba is GREAT- or can be. same as cross fit- it absolutely can be great.

You may see a chasse' or a mambo cha'cha- but I don't think anyone is going in there thinking it's a flat out dance class.

It checks a box. And it serves a purpose. Same with Cross Fit.

LOL, OK, OK. I just want it noted that I am doing a progressive heavy lifting program as part of my cross fit experience.

EDIT: By that, I mean that what I am doing in addition to the WODs is not that different to what I was doing with Strong Lifts.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i know i'd make the trip to anywhere that was teaching me something important. like form.

i do it now to my barbell club - but just once a week. in between times i go .8 of a mile to the closest rec centre branch. really, if you're getting taught how to lift then you've got just as much right in the rack at that gym as anyone else. and if what you're learning at cf isn't making you confident enough to lift solo, then imo perhaps they're not teaching you well enough to justify making the trip.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    I do crossfit one day a week and gym the rest. I depends on priorities and the cost.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    I picked up the crossfit for the individual instruction and especially so I could get my form correct.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    One rack at my gym and very intimidating for me

My gym only has one rack. It's also very rarely used. I can almost always walk right in and get my rack work done.

The only way to get over the intimidation is to just do it! (Sorry, Nike.)
  • sm27357
    sm27357 Posts: 5 Member
    I am going to say do the commute. Personally crossfit pushes me to do things I didn't think I could do so I work a lot harder than when I work out on my own.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Here is an idea. see what kind of membership that crossfit offers...some have punch cards like 15 classes for $150 or so much for 2 or 3 days a week. So you could make the long commute once or twice a week and do the gym close by the other days.
  • kelssskay
    kelssskay Posts: 11 Member
    I wouldn't drive 1.5 hours for a gym. That being said I swear by Crossfit and I am in the best shape of my life. I still workout out alone but I tend to push myself harder at Crossfit. Like another poster said, not all boxes are created equal so do your homework and try out more than one box. I have lost over 50 pounds by doing Crossfit and eating right.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    I won't go if I just do a regular gym, so I crossfit. But I wouldn't even consider it if I had to drive an extra hour and a half to do it.