Is eating 5000 calories per day doable

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    We all know what "clean" food is. You are more the Rich Piana diet I am more the Kai Greene, Jay Cutler diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JMPiZHUXo
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Again we arent Jay Cutler we arent Dorian Yates. Guy who are on a TREMENDOUS ammt. of drugs and have so much lean muscle mass their bodies burn off sugar intake so easily. They are the 1%, we are not
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    And I have seen that vid with Jay and he says he DOES NOT reccomend that others do what he does by eating candy post workout
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Again we arent Jay Cutler we arent Dorian Yates. Guy who are on a TREMENDOUS ammt. of drugs and have so much lean muscle mass their bodies burn off sugar intake so easily. They are the 1%, we are not

so you eat absolutely zero sugar? No fruit, bread, rice, vegetables, etc?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Well this is a WEIGHT GAINING & BODYBUILDING thread so I am assuming the people here are into eating clean I would hope lol.....Nothing wrong or "unclean" about white rice, its all I eat when I eat rice. White rice actually digests much easier than brown rice. Nothing not clean about white rice at all.

you know what happens when you assume, right...?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, the OP (post, not poster) didn't mention anything about bodybuilding. Not that it matters, really.

It did mention building size, mass, muscle. Yeah - eating "clean" is completely not necessary for that. Avoiding sugars, IMO, is fairly "bad" for that.

I don't think many, if any, would disagree that one would (nearly always) look to clean up one's diet and cut out excess carbs during competition prep. But that's not what the OP was about.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem with white bread....it has SUGAR. White rice does not. I would avoid white breads if it were me. White rice is fine though

I just made several sourdough loaves with no sugar, just flour, water and salt, although I would normally add 1 tsp per 1-lb loaf. Is that clean? If so, I will add that to our definition of clean foods:

1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread with 1 tsp sugar = dirty as sin
    1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread without 1 tsp of sugar = clean???
    Random white rice = clean

Just so you're up to speed, here is the starter list of "clean" definitions collected by @diannethegeek :

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No take-out or junk food at all.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    A plant-based whole food diet.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.
    Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    No bad carbs and processed foods.
    Anything that makes a better choice.
    Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.
    Clean eating means eating optimally.

If you have definitions to add, you can do so here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Is craft beer out of question though? In all seriousness, it has some nutrition in it and well... I love a few now and then.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem with white bread....it has SUGAR. White rice does not. I would avoid white breads if it were me. White rice is fine though

I just made several sourdough loaves with no sugar, just flour, water and salt, although I would normally add 1 tsp per 1-lb loaf. Is that clean? If so, I will add that to our definition of clean foods:

1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread with 1 tsp sugar = dirty as sin
    1-lb rustic boule of homemade white sourdough bread without 1 tsp of sugar = clean???

Just so you're up to speed, here is the starter list of "clean" definitions collected by @diannethegeek :

Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.

If you have definitions to add, you can do so here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Is craft beer out of question though? In all seriousness, it has some nutrition in it and well... I love a few now and then.

If you personally define it as clean, it can be added to the list, LOL. What can be cleaner than the German Purity Law of 1477??

(The collection showcases that there are so many definitions of clean that it is basically a useless term, except for when it is handy for preening, posturing, and holier-than-thou arguments. Panera assures me all their foods are clean, so here I am, snackin' on a Cinnamon Crunch Bagel with Honey-Walnut Cream Cheese....clean bulk!!!!)
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    Options

No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.

If you personally define it as clean, it can be added to the list, LOL. What can be cleaner than the German Purity Law of 1477??

(The collection showcases that there are so many definitions of clean that it is basically a useless term, except for when it is handy for preening, posturing, and holier-than-thou arguments. Panera assures me all their foods are clean, so here I am, snackin' on a Cinnamon Crunch Bagel with Honey-Walnut Cream Cheese....clean bulk!!!!)

You got me on the German Purity Law. I think they go well on weekends !
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot?
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    Options

I don't get it either... I had some edamame with a happy soy bean... I guess those aren't good then boo
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

If you read the thread, these were all definitions that were collected from the MFP forums. Pretty amusing. And even more amusing when someone acts like there is one definition of clean and everyone knows what it is.

My definition of "clean" is raised in my own personal organic garden, nourished by magical fairy rainbows and the poop from the world's most adorable bunnies and ponies, and watered with dew drops and unicorn tears.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The bro-science is way too strong in here. I'm out

I was warned, but I read anyway... And instantly got a headache from reading the bro science. **IM OUT**