Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

As usual...people take a statement and make assumptions. I said EXPENSIVE workout clothes. You don't need 100$ yoga pants to do yoga. They will not make you better at yoga. By all means though...spend thousands of dollars on *kitten* you don't actually need because a TV commercial tells you so, only to lose weight temporarily and then gain it back (like most dieters). Is the goal is to LOSE WEIGHT, then yeah, no reason you need a bunch of gadgets to do that. If you play sports then that is different. Your goal is probably performance based, or you are competing. That is not what I'm talking about here. The diet industry wants to convince you that you need their crap to lose weight or be on the cutting edge. They promise a quicker way. An easier way. A way that gives you something to talk to your friends at the water cooler at work about. You don't have to fall for it.

Ya know, had you not posted in such a condescending way, complete with the name calling (sheep to be specific) people wouldn't be so irritated about the post.

Thankfully I don't care about offending people. If people want to spend their hard earned dollars on crap they don't need then of course that's their perogative. It's curious however, that the same crowd are often the first to complain about "how expensive things are these days, and families just can't make ends meet anymore". How our grandparents could raise families on one income etc. Yeah..they didn't spend their money on fit bits and exercise equipment that collected dust in the rec room of their 3500+ square foot house that they needed to buy buy because their old house was too small for all their stuff they bought. I remember my mom losing weight in the early 80's. she put on sweat pants and went out side and ran around our neighbor hood. She started by jogging from one telephone pole to the next then walking for 2 just around the block. Each day she ran a little more, walked a little less until she was running 4 miles a day (she actually drove the route in the car to find out how far it was). She ate the same food we always ate. She'd make up her plate, then carefully remove 1/3 of the normal portion she'd usually eat and put it back in the serving bowl/plate. She lost 50 pounds this way.

Fitbits and treadmills are the reason why more families require two incomes today?

Okay.
    Those are just examples. Do you need a list of all the gimmicks and pills and supplements that people spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on? Come on now..

Are we still talking mfp here.. if im not mistaken we go against all of that.. you never stated pills ect.. you said tools then went on to say your mi. Never used anything fancy so clearly you wernt talking about pills ect.. this sounds like a common case of jealously.. you speak a huge game with little back up..

MFP is a free tool. That's why it's popular. I think weight loss tools can be helpful. You can't deny however, that there is an entire industry of supplements (yes "pills" is a general term I used to mention such things..not like I'm talking about illegal narcotics or steroids), fitness equipment, and gadgets designed to do one thing, empty your wallet.

You moved the goal posts...

Your OP was about

"Not one person has ever lost weight because they bought a fit bit, expensive workout clothes or trendy exercise equipment."

Not supplements, pills etc...those are shat and need to go away but a fitness tracker and equipment regardless of who you are are not gimmicks or useless...

Fitness equipment is a good thing...I am on my treadmill everyday, so is my son.

I use my weights 4x a week etc.

We could say the same about being a competitor...designed to empty your wallet with fees, extra training, gear etc...all designed to empty your wallet
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    The Tyler Durden is strong in this thread. ;)

0lk508t8cxc7.jpg
    Best movie. Tied with reservoir dogs for #1 in my book.

• Savagedistraction
    Options
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    Why do you even care, OP? What is the purpose of this little temper tantrum of yours? You could have easily made this thread a motivating one, using your mom as an example. Instead, you chose to berate people who have the means to buy things they feel help them lose weight. I assume this is all happening from a public computer at the library or school, right? The computer companies just make you think you need one at home, so obviously you wouldn't fall for that.

I have the means, just not the inclination. I don't have a computer in my home(or a TV). I am using a smart phone, which I have to have for work. Just because I can afford 100$ yoga pants and a fit bit doesn't mean I should buy one. And I'm not here to be lovey dovey with people. I'm not here to be a role model or motivate people. I've worked In a gym as a trainer and have been athletic my whole life. Reality is a *kitten*. And reality is..the gadgets aren't going to lose weight for you..but there is a huge industry out there that wants to convince you otherwise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why do you even care, OP? What is the purpose of this little temper tantrum of yours? You could have easily made this thread a motivating one, using your mom as an example. Instead, you chose to berate people who have the means to buy things they feel help them lose weight. I assume this is all happening from a public computer at the library or school, right? The computer companies just make you think you need one at home, so obviously you wouldn't fall for that.

I have the means, just not the inclination. I don't have a computer in my home(or a TV). I am using a smart phone, which I have to have for work. Just because I can afford 100$ yoga pants and a fit bit doesn't mean I should buy one. And I'm not here to be lovey dovey with people. I'm not here to be a role model or motivate people. I've worked In a gym as a trainer and have been athletic my whole life. Reality is a *kitten*. And reality is..the gadgets aren't going to lose weight for you..but there is a huge industry out there that wants to convince you otherwise.

There is a huge industry for a lot of things that we all buy that we don't need. You are no exception. You buy crap you don't need.
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

So you made a post specifically to NOT be motivating?
    Sure wouldnt want you as my trainer....something sheep spend money on but dont even need.
    Trainers dont lose the weight for us.

So.Much. Irony.

I don't work as a trainer anymore. Haven't for many years. Why do I put up posts like this? I work in healthcare. I see the effects of poor lifestyle every day in my hospital.

Seeing a 21 year old man who's 450 pounds and can't walk playing with his new Fitbit, saying how cool it is. Same guy who can't hold down a job because he can't walk and has so many health problems. He can't afford it, but that's not the point. He thinks he needs it. He thinks it will motivate him and help him to lose weight. It hasn't. It sits like on his wrist like a cruel irony as he makes excuse after excuse about how he can't afford to eat healthier or join a gym. My heart breaks for people like that. Not just because they are on the fast track to disability and death, but because they've bought into a system of advertising that promised great results with little effort. It's a public health issue. I care about that.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!

Not true--the Italians lose weight, or maintain, eating pasta and pizza. In moderation, of course.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I also live in canada where most of those "cheap" things you said are way more inflated lol.. i wish i could get eggs for 2 dollars.. more like 5... gotta love economy.

Jeepers, I am in Canada and eggs here are 1.97 a dozen right now.

I get what you mean though, but I think you are falling for that old schtick that healthy eating is more expensive - it really isnt. You buy in season produce or frozen (just as good, sometimes better), lean cuts of meat and smaller portions, cut out expensive and calorie laden but nutrient lacking junk food and you can end up actually saving money. Shop the sales, tailor your menu to what those are, and you would be surprised at how relatively inexpensive eating healthy can be. Now, if you are looking for every fad food item out there, buying cleanses and detoxes, exercise equipment that just lightens your wallet or supplements that are sawdust and pigeon poo, well - thats another story!

I can't believe this was glossed over. Where do you live? I need to move there. If only it wouldn't cost more to have you ship eggs to me.
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

As usual...people take a statement and make assumptions. I said EXPENSIVE workout clothes. You don't need 100$ yoga pants to do yoga. They will not make you better at yoga. By all means though...spend thousands of dollars on *kitten* you don't actually need because a TV commercial tells you so, only to lose weight temporarily and then gain it back (like most dieters). Is the goal is to LOSE WEIGHT, then yeah, no reason you need a bunch of gadgets to do that. If you play sports then that is different. Your goal is probably performance based, or you are competing. That is not what I'm talking about here. The diet industry wants to convince you that you need their crap to lose weight or be on the cutting edge. They promise a quicker way. An easier way. A way that gives you something to talk to your friends at the water cooler at work about. You don't have to fall for it.

Ya know, had you not posted in such a condescending way, complete with the name calling (sheep to be specific) people wouldn't be so irritated about the post.

Thankfully I don't care about offending people. If people want to spend their hard earned dollars on crap they don't need then of course that's their perogative. It's curious however, that the same crowd are often the first to complain about "how expensive things are these days, and families just can't make ends meet anymore". How our grandparents could raise families on one income etc. Yeah..they didn't spend their money on fit bits and exercise equipment that collected dust in the rec room of their 3500+ square foot house that they needed to buy buy because their old house was too small for all their stuff they bought. I remember my mom losing weight in the early 80's. she put on sweat pants and went out side and ran around our neighbor hood. She started by jogging from one telephone pole to the next then walking for 2 just around the block. Each day she ran a little more, walked a little less until she was running 4 miles a day (she actually drove the route in the car to find out how far it was). She ate the same food we always ate. She'd make up her plate, then carefully remove 1/3 of the normal portion she'd usually eat and put it back in the serving bowl/plate. She lost 50 pounds this way.

You spend money on crap you don't need.

Yup bet she has a Gi for BJJ...doesn't need it tho, heavy bag drills???? HIIT Treadmill...wow.

so here is someone spending money on either 1. Gym membership or 2 Gear for the house and tellings others they are sheep too rich...too rich.

I'm not here to lose weight. I'm a competitive athlete. I can't fight and train safely without the proper equipment required for the sport. If I just wanted to lose weight and wasn't competing I'd do just as my mom did. I should market the "Mom Diet" bet some fool would be willing to pay money for it.

My son does BJJ and competes...I know what is required for it...

Kettle meet Pot...

PS join the other sheep please...
    I don't compete in the GI. I train in it rarely. That's not the point. If you do compete in Gi you need a gi. There is no sport you need a fit bit for. Nice try though!
  • Savagedistraction
    Options

Sure wouldnt want you as my trainer....something sheep spend money on but dont even need.

So.Much. Irony.

I don't work as a trainer anymore. Haven't for many years. Why do I put up posts like this? I work in healthcare. I see the effects of poor lifestyle every day in my hospital.

Seeing a 21 year old man who's 450 pounds and can't walk playing with his new Fitbit, saying how cool it is. Same guy who can't hold down a job because he can't walk and has so many health problems. He can't afford it, but that's not the point. He thinks he needs it. He thinks it will motivate him and help him to lose weight. It hasn't. It sits like on his wrist like a cruel irony as he makes excuse after excuse about how he can't afford to eat healthier or join a gym. My heart breaks for people like that. Not just because they are on the fast track to disability and death, but because they've bought into a system of advertising that promised great results with little effort. It's a public health issue. I care about that.

Your heart breaks so much you must call him a sheep? How do you know the Fitbit won't help? How do you know it wasn't a gift? At least he's trying something.

Because people need to hear it that's why. Coddling people doesn't work. And a fit bit won't help if you don't move. He's trying "something", just not something that will help him.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So.Much. Irony.

Your heart breaks so much you must call him a sheep? How do you know the Fitbit won't help? How do you know it wasn't a gift? At least he's trying something.

Because people need to hear it that's why. Coddling people doesn't work. And a fit bit won't help if you don't move. He's trying "something", just not something that will help him.

A Fitbit will help if it inspires him to move. You are making a lot of assumptions about others. And derogating them for doing the same things you do.
  • Savagedistraction
    Options

So.Much. Irony.

A Fitbit will help if it inspires him to move. You are making a lot of assumptions about others. And derogating them for doing the same things you do.

Nice try, but no.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So.Much. Irony.

Nice try, but no.

Are you suggesting that you buy nothing you don't need? Nothing at all?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!
    @K3rB3ar89 oh no you didn't....I stopped reading right here do not go after mah spaghetti girl ...we will fight! >:)

To the OPs point, just about everything that's been named in this thread that are nice to haves/must haves (some I'm in agreement with) are aids to get fit.

Although health markers will almost certainly improve with weight loss alone, you don't have to get fit to lose weight. I personally think they go nicely together, but if I "Only" focused on weight loss without the fitness I would not need the shoes/gym memberships/fitbits/thing to hold the girls up ( That would look funny on my hairy self) and all the other niceties that make getting fit easier.

She specifically cited the "diet industry" not the fitness industry.

I'm done. Come at me. :p