Fun fact...

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    Why do you even care, OP? What is the purpose of this little temper tantrum of yours? You could have easily made this thread a motivating one, using your mom as an example. Instead, you chose to berate people who have the means to buy things they feel help them lose weight. I assume this is all happening from a public computer at the library or school, right? The computer companies just make you think you need one at home, so obviously you wouldn't fall for that.

I have the means, just not the inclination. I don't have a computer in my home(or a TV). I am using a smart phone, which I have to have for work. Just because I can afford 100$ yoga pants and a fit bit doesn't mean I should buy one. And I'm not here to be lovey dovey with people. I'm not here to be a role model or motivate people. I've worked In a gym as a trainer and have been athletic my whole life. Reality is a *kitten*. And reality is..the gadgets aren't going to lose weight for you..but there is a huge industry out there that wants to convince you otherwise.

All I can say is I'm thankful the trainer I hired is pretty balanced and patient but mostly kind. Makes me want to listen to him!

ETA- the app map my walk and my up band help me go from 15 min of walking to a 5k in a month in a half. More importantly seeing progress was confidence building!!!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

I've spent $13 on a food scale and $20 on a bathroom scale. That's it. Lost 50lbs with those two things and I'm now several years into maintenance, still using only those two things (I did recently buy a new food scale for another $13 because I dropped my old one).

I still eat the same kinds of foods as before, I just now eat less of it (so I actually probably save money there). I'm more intentional in every day activities but I don't have any special exercise clothes (don't even own a pair of yoga pants right now because I spilled paint on my old ones ugh). And I don't have any special kinds of shoes- mostly flip flops in the summer and snow boots in the winter lol :)

I agree with the OP that weight loss/maintenance can be free or pretty close to it.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Why do you even care, OP? What is the purpose of this little temper tantrum of yours? You could have easily made this thread a motivating one, using your mom as an example. Instead, you chose to berate people who have the means to buy things they feel help them lose weight. I assume this is all happening from a public computer at the library or school, right? The computer companies just make you think you need one at home, so obviously you wouldn't fall for that.

I have the means, just not the inclination. I don't have a computer in my home(or a TV). I am using a smart phone, which I have to have for work. Just because I can afford 100$ yoga pants and a fit bit doesn't mean I should buy one. And I'm not here to be lovey dovey with people. I'm not here to be a role model or motivate people. I've worked In a gym as a trainer and have been athletic my whole life. Reality is a *kitten*. And reality is..the gadgets aren't going to lose weight for you..but there is a huge industry out there that wants to convince you otherwise.

So you made a post specifically to NOT be motivating?
    Sure wouldnt want you as my trainer....something sheep spend money on but dont even need.
    Trainers dont lose the weight for us.

So.Much. Irony.

I don't work as a trainer anymore. Haven't for many years. Why do I put up posts like this? I work in healthcare. I see the effects of poor lifestyle every day in my hospital.

Seeing a 21 year old man who's 450 pounds and can't walk playing with his new Fitbit, saying how cool it is. Same guy who can't hold down a job because he can't walk and has so many health problems. He can't afford it, but that's not the point. He thinks he needs it. He thinks it will motivate him and help him to lose weight. It hasn't. It sits like on his wrist like a cruel irony as he makes excuse after excuse about how he can't afford to eat healthier or join a gym. My heart breaks for people like that. Not just because they are on the fast track to disability and death, but because they've bought into a system of advertising that promised great results with little effort. It's a public health issue. I care about that.

Well for the most part we are all here- reading your broken-heart- inspired- post- because we already want to better our health.
    Your response to me is an extreme example of one guy's relationship with his fitbit? Is that what sparked your outrage against gadgets* and workout pants? Enough to make a whole post addressing us, sheep?
    Tell us, oh good Shepard... what starting point would you prefer he, or any person looking to better their health, take? One that would be "good enough" in your all-knowing eyes?

That man is an extreme example, it there are many many more. People get a gadget and geek out over it. A year later it sits unused and they're still fat. They were hoping a cool gadget would somehow give them the motivation to get healthy. Nope. It doesn't work like that. As far as the unfortunate man I mentioned, he can do whatever the hell he wants, but if he wants to "start" somewhere how about moving around more? He can't walk yet without assistance, but he can with an assist and a walker. But he refused. He whines and complains that "it hurts". Yeah..it's gonna hurt. That's just something you're going to have to work through, and the more you do it, the less it will hurt. Sitting in bed playing with the fit bit isn't helping.
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    I don't know what I was expecting engaging in this topic but i doubt closure is in the cards*
    Im still left wondering what happened between you and FitBit.
    #itstillhurtstotalkaboutit
    I don't know about fit bits, but I just bought this.
    qunfgqzko4ve.png

So I guess I am guilty of buying a not really necessary piece of equipment. To be fair I will use this a lot and it will save me a lot of time. It's not heavy enough to use as a dumbbell so I'm not sure it qualifies as exercise equipment.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

So you made a post specifically to NOT be motivating?
    Sure wouldnt want you as my trainer....something sheep spend money on but dont even need.
    Trainers dont lose the weight for us.

So.Much. Irony.

I don't work as a trainer anymore. Haven't for many years. Why do I put up posts like this? I work in healthcare. I see the effects of poor lifestyle every day in my hospital.

Seeing a 21 year old man who's 450 pounds and can't walk playing with his new Fitbit, saying how cool it is. Same guy who can't hold down a job because he can't walk and has so many health problems. He can't afford it, but that's not the point. He thinks he needs it. He thinks it will motivate him and help him to lose weight. It hasn't. It sits like on his wrist like a cruel irony as he makes excuse after excuse about how he can't afford to eat healthier or join a gym. My heart breaks for people like that. Not just because they are on the fast track to disability and death, but because they've bought into a system of advertising that promised great results with little effort. It's a public health issue. I care about that.

If your heart is truly breaking, it may be worth considering how to communicate in a way that connects with people. Maybe some people just like him are reading this post, yet you say you don't want to motivate anyone. If you don't want to help people, why seek to actively alienate them?

If you don't want to help people, why not just choose silence? Why this?

I think we have here another newish poster who has made a lot of assumptions about the people who populate these forums. She wants to enlighten us based on those assumptions.

Who also happens to be dead wrong.

This is what happens when you take no time to actually read a lot of threads before diving in and getting a feel for the culture of the place.

Exactly!
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Not one person has ever lost weight because they bought a fit bit, expensive workout clothes or trendy exercise equipment. If you need to lose weight, the only thing that works is to eat less and move more. The toys and expensive outfits..unnecessary. I'm sure this may be obvious to most..but it seems a reminder is in order. Weight loss does t have to cost you any money. Don't be a sheep. The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed. Nope. Move your *kitten* and eat less. That is all you need.

Another fun fact.

MFP is owned by Under armor, and if nobody bought their gear, you wouldnt have this forum to write a post about not buying their goods.

Well then everyone must go out and buy all heir things right now!! We OWE it to them..
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Not one person has ever lost weight because they bought a fit bit, expensive workout clothes or trendy exercise equipment. If you need to lose weight, the only thing that works is to eat less and move more. The toys and expensive outfits..unnecessary. I'm sure this may be obvious to most..but it seems a reminder is in order. Weight loss does t have to cost you any money. Don't be a sheep. The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed. Nope. Move your *kitten* and eat less. That is all you need.

Another fun fact.

MFP is owned by Under armor, and if nobody bought their gear, you wouldnt have this forum to write a post about not buying their goods.

Well then everyone must go out and buy all heir things right now!! We OWE it to them..

Why is it a bad thing? buying and selling goods and services is what we build the economy on. there is alot of things we dont "need" We dont "need" expensive facial creams, we dont "need" a toaster or a popcorn machine. There is alot of things we dont need - yet we buy things for a millions different reasons.

People need a purpose with life, so we have education and jobs to fill that purpose. Bying and selling goods and services is vital for the worlds economy. Thats how we finance all the fantastic progress the human kind has made.

• Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this may be obvious to most..but it seems a reminder is in order.

Does it? Why?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!
    @K3rB3ar89 oh no you didn't....I stopped reading right here do not go after mah spaghetti girl ...we will fight! >:)

To the OPs point, just about everything that's been named in this thread that are nice to haves/must haves (some I'm in agreement with) are aids to get fit.

Although health markers will almost certainly improve with weight loss alone, you don't have to get fit to lose weight. I personally think they go nicely together, but if I "Only" focused on weight loss without the fitness I would not need the shoes/gym memberships/fitbits/thing to hold the girls up ( That would look funny on my hairy self) and all the other niceties that make getting fit easier.

She specifically cited the "diet industry" not the fitness industry.

I'm done. Come at me. :p

Before I lost weight, I spent a lot of money on nail polish and all things manicure related.

Then my nails went to crap because psoriasis got to them and my doctor told me I couldn't wear nail polish any more.

The psoriatic arthritis was also why I started exercising. It was also why I needed really good shoes, because my joints are terrible. Because my joints are terrible, I decided I needed to lose weight.

When the weather got cold and the cold didn't play nicely with my joints, I joined a gym. They told me about MFP. I read the forums, and heard of the wonders of a food scale. I already thought I was eating a proper number of calories and the scale wasn't moving, so I got a food scale.

Good. Investment.

Can you see where this is going?
    I do. I have read an awful lot of your posts since being here, and am aware of some of the challenges you've overcome, which makes me less inclined to "argue" with you - not because of your challenges, but because of how you conduct yourself in spite of them - I have immense respect for you. With that said, I'll continue below.
    None of this was me being "blinded" by the fitness industry, and this is where the OP is misguided (at best) in her thinking. None of us are automatons being led by the nose unwittingly in our endeavors to become better versions of ourselves here.
    I understand this. I've stated many times myself the value of reading, learning, examining and exploring to find out what works in general as well as for each individual. But the key phrase in what I just quoted is "Fitness industry".

The OP very specifically stated "The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed"

Now, isn't this forum loaded to the gills with threads and posts about garbage the Diet industry is foisting on the public? I may be wrong, and the OP will have to clear this up if I am, but she posted about "weight loss" not "fitness" The two are not synonymous with each other, in as much as they are certainly in bed with each other.

In light of that and looking strictly at the idea, and not the OP, would you still say we cannot lose weight without the toys?

Dunno - maybe I'm the one who's confused here lol.
    We sign up here, we find out about new things, we consider, we evaluate, we invest. In ourselves.

My Fitbit, my food scale, my running shoes, my treadmill, my weight bench, my adjustable dumbbells? They are investments in my commitment to healthy habits.

I made thoughtful, deliberate choices regarding them all, and researched each purchase.
    There's no dispute from me here. I've strived to do the same, and do enjoy and use my toys. :)
  • Savagedistraction
    Options
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!
    @K3rB3ar89 oh no you didn't....I stopped reading right here do not go after mah spaghetti girl ...we will fight! >:)

To the OPs point, just about everything that's been named in this thread that are nice to haves/must haves (some I'm in agreement with) are aids to get fit.

Although health markers will almost certainly improve with weight loss alone, you don't have to get fit to lose weight. I personally think they go nicely together, but if I "Only" focused on weight loss without the fitness I would not need the shoes/gym memberships/fitbits/thing to hold the girls up ( That would look funny on my hairy self) and all the other niceties that make getting fit easier.

Before I lost weight, I spent a lot of money on nail polish and all things manicure related.

Then my nails went to crap because psoriasis got to them and my doctor told me I couldn't wear nail polish any more.

The psoriatic arthritis was also why I started exercising. It was also why I needed really good shoes, because my joints are terrible. Because my joints are terrible, I decided I needed to lose weight.

When the weather got cold and the cold didn't play nicely with my joints, I joined a gym. They told me about MFP. I read the forums, and heard of the wonders of a food scale. I already thought I was eating a proper number of calories and the scale wasn't moving, so I got a food scale.

Good. Investment.

I do. I have read an awful lot of your posts since being here, and am aware of some of the challenges you've overcome, which makes me less inclined to "argue" with you - not because of your challenges, but because of how you conduct yourself in spite of them - I have immense respect for you. With that said, I'll continue below.
    None of this was me being "blinded" by the fitness industry, and this is where the OP is misguided (at best) in her thinking. None of us are automatons being led by the nose unwittingly in our endeavors to become better versions of ourselves here.
    I understand this. I've stated many times myself the value of reading, learning, examining and exploring to find out what works in general as well as for each individual. But the key phrase in what I just quoted is "Fitness industry".

The OP very specifically stated "The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed"

Now, isn't this forum loaded to the gills with threads and posts about garbage the Diet industry is foisting on the public? I may be wrong, and the OP will have to clear this up if I am, but she posted about "weight loss" not "fitness" The two are not synonymous with each other, in as much as they are certainly in bed with each other.

In light of that and looking strictly at the idea, and not the OP, would you still say we cannot lose weight without the toys?

We sign up here, we find out about new things, we consider, we evaluate, we invest. In ourselves.

My Fitbit, my food scale, my running shoes, my treadmill, my weight bench, my adjustable dumbbells? They are investments in my commitment to healthy habits.

I made thoughtful, deliberate choices regarding them all, and researched each purchase.
    There's no dispute from me here. I've strived to do the same, and do enjoy and use my toys. :)

I think the original message is Getting lost in the butthurt outrage so many people seem to feel when their choices are critisized. My message is "you don't need all the gadgets and supplements to lose weight, and buying them will not make you lose weight, burning more calories than you consume will". Lots of fat people with closets full of equipment and gadgets they never use. Just look at Craigslist. In 2 years you'll be able to get a fit bit at the thrift store or garage sale for 10 bucks.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Good. Investment.

I think the original message is Getting lost in the butthurt outrage so many people seem to feel when their choices are critisized. My message is "you don't need all the gadgets and supplements to lose weight, and buying them will not make you lose weight, burning more calories than you consume will". Lots of fat people with closets full of equipment and gadgets they never use. Just look at Craigslist. In 2 years you'll be able to get a fit bit at the thrift store or garage sale for 10 bucks.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant. Regarding the rest lol, I'm not getting caught in the crossfire. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    MyFitnessPal is a tool... ;)

Flagged for insulting/abuse of MFP.

/notsrs
    :open_mouth:
    :laugh:

:cookie:
  • Savagedistraction
    Options

Good. Investment.

I think the message might be a little 'lost' because you're largely preaching to the choir. A vast number of people here know that the Fitbit won't make you skinny and that you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. So rather than it being a revelation or an education, a lot of people are going "yeah... and?" and then, because they are succeeding/successful/educated/all of the above are pointing out how the gadgets CAN be helpful, just not in a vacuum.

I think it's a picking your audience problem more than anything.

[proud FitBit owner who just got a gym membership, is 80lbs down and going for a black belt this year]

Black belt in what discipline?