To Glove Or Not to Glove during lifts?

Options

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    No gloves for me, usually no chalk either unless I'm using a bar with no knurling. My grip has caught up to my deadlift just fine.
    I will use straps/versa grips on assistance work, mainly because it helps with forearm pain for me.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I know it's frowned on, but I use gloves sometimes. Sometimes the pain of my skin stretching against the knurling on the bar is the thing that limits an exercise (romanian deadlifts, looking at you). It's not grip strength, it's palm tenderness. My hands earn me a pretty good living, so I go against standard advice here.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts?
    I personally don't.

I use gloves during DL's, lat pull downs and rows. Everything else I go gloveless for. I have Lupus which causes RA and it makes my grip be slightly off some days, so the gloves help give me that extra assist. Not sure if I'd use them otherwise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use gloves - just got two new pairs for Christmas.
    Improves my grip, especially the modern tacky grip gloves.

Having Raynaud's is also another factor for me. Skin to cold metal contact can turn my circulation off almost instantly.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I started out with gloves, so it feels weird to go without now. My calluses grow huge when I do pullups without them.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all for your comments. It seems like many prefer not to use gloves in general unless they have very sensitive skin, which I understand. I recently bought liquid chalk to help with heavy deadlifts.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ooh I forgot about liquid chalk. Love that stuff!!
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ooh I forgot about liquid chalk. Love that stuff!!

Oh, I'm excited to use it. It should get here to day from Rogue. Got some weightlifting shoes too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No gloves. Versa Gripps for some stuff.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I use gloves due to sensitive skin. Chalk made my palms really itchy.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No gloves; I rather enjoy having my adaptation of callous development. Versa grips (straps) for certain lifts though (pull ups, DLs, Pulldowns, walking lunges, hack squats). Chalk is not allowed in most commercial gyms.

A good alternative is to use Aluminum chloride (CERTAIN DRY...deodorant) to apply to your hands (every other day to everyday) if you have sweaty palms. It can be a bit irritating at first (hence the every other day dosing) until you adapt to the product.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do, still have that hardened skin on my palms, only in this area, but yeah, I use them cos otherwise it all cracks up a bit :P
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sometimes... I have Reynaud's so cold temps are dangerous for my hands and fingers (especially a cold metal Barbell). If it's cold in the gym I glove, if it's not I don't.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Gloves are NOT inherently bad or evil as some would suggest.

Just a matter of personal choice. I use them because I like them and they "work" for me. Don't use them if you don't like them and they don't for you. No need to justify your choice either way.
  • Getlost1369
    Getlost1369 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No gloves here either. I've attempted the use and didn't like the feel of them
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Gloves are NOT inherently bad or evil as some would suggest.

Just a matter of personal choice. I use them because I like them and they "work" for me. Don't use them if you don't like them and they don't for you. No need to justify your choice either way.

There's no need to justify SEVERAL things that are justified on these boards. As for this thread specifically, I don't see where anybody has suggested they are bad or evil.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No gloves. I don't have much in the way of calluses and I don't have sensitive skin. Grip has not been a problem.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Always gloves. Eczema on my palm. I also use straps when I'm moving a barbell or dumbbell weight that exceeds my grip strength. I have always had skinny arms and don't let that set my limit for dead lifts and dumbbell squats.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The rule of gloves in the gym is; "only if they match your handbag".
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    For me personally no gloves no way. If you're female ok I get it but a guy??? Come on now! Your calluses are a badge of honor and no gloves will increase your grip strength which is helpful for things like shrugs and db rows.