Feeling freezing cold

Options
IWantToFloat
IWantToFloat Posts: 31 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not under eating or anything, but I've increased my water intake to a more normal amount and of course I've cut back from what I can typically eat in a day.

Now I am freezing cold all over and it's been about a week. Is my metabolism slowed down? Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Stats:
25 years old, female bodied
7 days at 1800 cals a day, staying within macro's most days, lots of protein, some days too much sodium
Moderate exercise (30 minutes walking, 3-4 days)
340 lbs start
327.6 lbs currently

Replies

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It is normal to feel colder when eating at a deficit. Drink hot tea!
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Can you list your stats?

Just made an update on the post but here they are again!

Stats:
    Age, 25
    Female
    7 days at 1800 cals a day, staying within macro's most days, lots of protein, some days too much sodium
    Moderate exercise (30 minutes walking, 3-4 days)
    340 lbs start
    327.6 lbs currently
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,899 Member
    Options
    How big is your deficit. A drop in core temperature is one of the ways adaptive thermogenesis works. However it does not tend to kick in that quickly unless you are creating a large deficit.
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    Arapacana1 wrote: »
    It is normal to feel colder when eating at a deficit. Drink hot tea!

I should do that when it isn't so late. Thanks!
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    How big is your deficit. A drop in core temperature is one of the ways adaptive thermogenesis works. However it does not tend to kick in that quickly unless you are creating a large deficit.

I'm eating 1800 calories a day on average. That is enough of a deficit to lose 2 lbs a week which doesn't seem like a lot. I do have hypothyroid (treated and levels are fine) so that may play a part?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I hear others on here frequently complain about being cold after losing a chunk of their weight. I'm 40 down and wish this would happen to me already. You are fine and in good company OP.
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    I hear others on here frequently complain about being cold after losing a chunk of their weight. I'm 40 down and wish this would happen to me already. You are fine and in good company OP.

I hope so! I just haven't lost a lot yet so I'm a bit concerned.
  • IWantToFloat
    Options

I just calculated my deficit and it's between 200-300 calories a day. That isn't very large.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Your numbers as stated don't make sense. If you are set to lose 2lbs a week your daily deficit is set to 1000 Cal a day subject to the MFP 1200 minimum.

If you are obese a deficit equal to 25% of your tdee would be considered ok. Otherwise look at deficits of up to 20% of your tdee to preserve lean mass and minimize adaptations.

When I was obese and could generate a 1000Cal deficit while eating 3000 Cal due to a tdee ~4000Cal, that 2lb goal was appropriate.

Nowadays my tdee is closer to 2800, so my maximum goal is 500Cal to lose 1lb (my actual goal is -250 to lose .5lb, and secretly aiming for -125 to lose .025lb; but that's another story)

Trending weight app helps with smaller goals...
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    Your numbers as stated don't make sense. If you are set to lose 2lbs a week your daily deficit is set to 1000 Cal a day subject to the MFP 1200 minimum.

If you are obese a deficit equal to 25% of your tdee would be considered ok. Otherwise look at deficits of up to 20% of your tdee to preserve lean mass and minimize adaptations.

When I was obese and could generate a 1000Cal deficit while eating 3000 Cal due to a tdee ~4000Cal, that 2lb goal was appropriate.

Nowadays my tdee is closer to 2800, so my maximum goal is 500Cal to lose 1lb (my actual goal is -250 to lose .5lb, and secretly aiming for -125 to lose .025lb; but that's another story)

Trending weight app helps with smaller goals...

I'm just using MFP's levels. Turns out I didn't know what my maintenance level was at all.
    I guess I need 2770 cals to maintain, and I'm currently eating at 1800 cals. That number has now gone down as my 12 lbs of weight loss was finally recognized. So I have a 1000cal deficit roughly.
    So back to feeling cold since starting this past week doesn't seem to make sense.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat and oils are you eating each day?
    45 grams could be a good amount as a minimum. I aim for more than that each day.
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    How many grams of fat and oils are you eating each day?
    45 grams could be a good amount as a minimum. I aim for more than that each day.
    Have you had your thyroid checked?

I'm on average about 50 grams of fat.
    I had my thyroid checked this month. I have hypothyroidism but my levels are all fine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you are dealing with the cold. :) Maybe in your case it is temporary.
    Most people who mention it, have lost a large amount of weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at all? When I first started any activity that brought my core temp up was followed by feeling very cold in the winter, and this is still the case. I don't know why it happens, maybe because the core temp drop feels colder in comparison to the higher temp during activity? Even a walk triggered that for me because at my starting weight walking was quite a workout.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Edit: was suggesting thyroid check but seems you have done this already :)

Might be worth discussing your sensitivity to cold with your GP though.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    As suggested talk to your doctor re potential contribution by thyroid to your feeling cold.

As to the rest of it, I am not 100% sure what to say as my advice was, in my own head, fairly clear, but you don't seem to be seeing that it also applies to you.

A 1000 Cal deficit is appropriate if your daily burn is 4000 Cal and you are obese, or your burn is 5000Cal and you are overweight or normal weight.

Your total energy expenditure for the day (burn) is less than 4000 Cal.

Ergo 1000 Cal deficits are not appropriate for you.

Limit your deficits to 20% of what you spend (25% while obese).

Lose weight sanely. Use the time to develop good habits, strategies, goto foods, explore the conditions under which you overeat, think on how you can control them. Figure out a diet as a way of eating... permanently, not just till you lose weight!

Succeed, be happy, and have a better than average chance of keeping that weight off for many years to come!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've lost 70+ pounds down from 233 and I'm freezing all the time. My son has lost 70 and has the same problem. I think with time it will subside but as you lose the insulation your body is accustomed to it reacts by being cold, lol. My thyroid is already low so I'm on meds for it and it doesn't seem to matter.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 80 and am always freezing.

my love says im a blast furnace in bed though. go figure. LOLOL
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I can't quite get my head around the math...a 1,000 calorie per day deficit doesn't sound like too much for a woman who weighs 327 pounds, but 1,800 calories for that woman who gets some moderate exercise does sound like too few calories. How tall are you?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I would see a doctor. This could be something or it could be nothing. My father's co-worker felt very cold for no good reason and he was found to have an illness which needed medical attention. Better safe than sorry. Get checked by a doctor.