Dry January...anyone else going alcohol free?

Options

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Me too! First weekend since 2003 I've been alcohol-free! My face isn't as puffy in the morning. Spouse is grumpy....went out to dinner Friday and was surrounded by beer and cocktails....felt so strange ordering a Diet Coke I felt compelled to tell the waiter I was goingdry for January...I'm sure he thought I was a whack job!
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I made it too! I'm making up for it with lemon water, and I lost a pound, which I'm sure was water retention from alcohol, because my diet is the same.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've quit booze now until around June. Too much over the holidays, I can do without it for a few months :-)
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That first weekend was not as bad as I thought it would be. Y'all are doing great!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It actually seemed like the weekend lasted a lot longer! Maybe because I was sober the entire time...not really sure.
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    It actually seemed like the weekend lasted a lot longer! Maybe because I was sober the entire time...not really sure.

I thought the same thing.... in the moment for sure.
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, and have never even had an underage drink. Don't care to invest empty calories and I don't enjoy being vulnerable. :)
  • carriebeachbound
    carriebeachbound Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, going dry would probably really help me reach my fitness goals. Is there a link for the challenge? Weekends are the toughest for me. Come Friday I am ready... and social events. Support would be helpful.
  • elizabeppes
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi Carriebeachbound- I think this is the thread for the dry January folks. I'm doing this to reach my fitness goals too. Fridays are hard for sure. I tracked myself for a week including all the alcohol and those calories add up really really fast. Maybe if you saw how just a beer and two glasses of wine can derail weight loss it would motivate. I can't believe I made it through the first weekend and I bet you can too- Hang in there You can do it!
  • runawaycowgirl
    runawaycowgirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in for a dry January, I actually plan on going cold turkey for the year. But we'll just start with January I think ;)
  • elizabeppes
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Runawaycowgirl- now that I'm 10 days in and feeling pretty great I might see how far I take it too, thanks for the idea.
  • Mizzaf
    Mizzaf Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Im in, going to try and get to October. Should be achievable. I went out on Tuesday and the wine was free flowing, when offered I politely declined and got called 'boring' made me even more determined B)
  • Obxdee
    Obxdee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have been dry all of January, just seeing this post! I actually had a good friend text me yesterday .....wine on my porch to catch up? I responded with I am abstaining for the month of Jan, she responded what is that? Lol She then said she would have me over for coffee instead, done deal!
  • dngallimore
    dngallimore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I chose to cut down rather than abstain completely. That has been working out for me. I am a little disturbed that I chose not to go out with some friends this evening specifically because I didn't want to hassle with explaining to them why I wasn't drinking as much as I normally do. Is that crazy?
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it but I rarely drink anyway so it's not much of a challenge for me. Good luck with it!
  • dngallimore
    dngallimore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lizzymcg wrote: »
    I'm in. Just rejoined MFP after a year's hiatus. I'm pretty good about healthy eating, but my downfall is wine. Must have at least two glasses --usually more like 3 to 3.5 -- every evening, 7 days a week. Since the new year, I have measured out precisely eight ounces each evening and have managed to stop when that was gone. That is my idea of moderation, LOL. BTW, using my method, one bottle last 3 nights. My pocketbook will be very happy!

I decided long ago that weight loss isnt worth it if you're miserable and end up quitting! Moderation is a great way to go!

Maybe we should calculate what we'd save from downsizing our drinking and turn it into fitness/healthy eating Incentives. If there's one thing that will get through to my thick skull it's saving money.

great idea ... or set aside the money we saved not buying a bottle and take it shopping for a new outfit for our slimmer, more sober selves!
  • summeroflove99
    summeroflove99 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned this already but there's a dry January app. It helps a bit with motivation and calculates money/ calories saved :)
  • xtrasmallone
    xtrasmallone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting all alcohol out. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person, so when I try limiting, I end up creeping back up. Easier for me to get rid of it completely. I did that last Sept and lost weight for the first time in forever.
  • xtrasmallone
    xtrasmallone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting processed sugar as well. The first week for me is easy because I'm determined. The trick is to keep hanging on until the habit to have that Friday night drink or whatever is broken. After that, you are truly choosing to have sugar or have a drink, not operating by habit.