Weight loss plan / Cutting foods.

Options
I am 21 years old

244 lbs

I want to lose at least 44 lbs.

I have cut out soda, candy, fast food, and meat.

Or anything that screams unhealthy!

I plan to eat 1400 cals a day

And workout 30 mins a day 10 minutes cardio ( machine cardio) elypitcal/ treadmill/ bike and use the rest doing sit ups/ leg kicks/ planks/ wall squats/ push ups / arm circles/ flutter kicks.. at home stuff.. Also going to be using tricep machine for arms..

Is this a good plan? Adjustments? Tips..

Replies

• ramicharowland
    ramicharowland Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    As mentioned ... enter your details into MFP (that's what it is here for!), select sedentary as your activity level (unless you work at an active job), and select to lose about 1 lb/week. What does MFP give you for calories?

Eat that many calories.

If you exercise, log it, but log it realistically (choose low, light, easy settings), and then eat about half your exercise calories back.

Spend some time browsing through your local grocery stores, markets, etc. to find low-cal delicious foods that will fit within your calorie limit ... foods that have good staying power ... but foods you like.
  • ramicharowland
    Options
    " it simply means a balanced diet of nutritious and sweets/treats is perfectly fine.

Ahhh I think that is where my issue lies balance... lol Especially with junk food..
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's not complicated, so don't make it harder than it needs to be. If you want to lose weight and maintain it long term you need to make your plan sustainable and enjoyable. Whatever you do to lose the weight needs to be something you are willing and able to continue. Otherwise, when you go back to your old ways, the weight will come back, too.

Don't cut out your favorite foods, just consume them within your calorie goals and exercise to earn more. I personally would cut out soda - but not because it's evil or I need to be punished, but because I think it's a total waste of calories that I could be eating instead. :)
  • ramicharowland
    Options
    I agreee! Thank you :)
  • TheBetterBecky
    TheBetterBecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut out meat unless its a health requirement. I've lost 132 pounds and kept it off for 3 years. Here is what worked for me. You want to eat carbs, protein at each meal. The protein helps the carbs digest slower. See, the one thing you want to remember is that a white potato is just as bad as a candy bar. White rice isn't much better. I would eat lean meats, lots of good veggies, some fruit, and good carbs which would be breads with lots of fiber, oats, etc. The one thing too is this......if you restrict it to a severe "DIET" you will regain it. It has to be something you can do for the rest of your life. So, don't deprive yourself. At the beginning I would be very strict but once the willpower sets in, allow yourself a treat. Those who eat carrots and water and broth will regain it :)) But for me, and this won't be for everyone....for me I allowed myself to have 3 bites of birthday cake at a party. I ate a small cookie here and there, or 5 chips. If you can handle that then do it. If you can't then don't. Just plan for it and enjoy every minute without feeling guilty. BUT, don't do it every day or every meal. Maybe every few days have a small treat. :)
  • TheBetterBecky
    TheBetterBecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    From experience counting calories only doesn't work. It needs to be healthier too. If you eat a bagel for breakfast, a hamburger from McDonalds for lunch, and a bag of chips for dinner, you might lose weight but it will be slow and your body composition won't be as lean. So, like others said, do it in moderation. If you can't stand it and you want a burger, then go get one, BUT, pick the single burger, skip the fry, and have a salad instead with a tad of dressing. If you ate good all day and you really want 5 M & M's then eat them if it won't make you want more :) Have fun. If it's a chore you will tire of it. You gotta say, "I Got This!", have a little fun, and make it exciting.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless you have kidney disease, you dont need to eliminate meat (or anything else!)

your body NEEDS the protein, not to mention it FILLS YOU and keeps you satiated for longer!

ive lost 80 pounds eating everything under the sun (even eating out and junk food and candy!), drinking, living life and loving it. not a single food was eliminated. I simply weigh my foods and eat within my calorie goals, and if i go over a little (or even occasionally a lot), not a big deal.
  • rebeccaelizabethwalker
    Options
    IT seems that everyone on here has a different opinion and I guess that because some things work for some and not others. I cant just have one square of chocolate, or just 5 m & ms i would literally eat everything I have in my house! I decided to quit sugar and anything processed for new year, I got pretty bad headache for a few days but that's gone now and I feel a ot better. I get the odd craving for sugar but I try to eat natural sugars, bananas, apples and other sweet fruit instead. I make sure I log my food on mfp and keep within my calorie amount. To be honest im fairly new here, only signed up on 3rd Jan, but since then i have lost 5lb and it doesn't feel like I've missed out on anything. I treated myself to a few maple syrup pancakes the day I found id lost weight, but just made sure I was still within my calorie limit. I defiantly wouldn't cut out meat though, its too good for you!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat in a way you can sustain long term. Cutting out lots of foods you like- and the people you associate with eat- probably won't be a sustainable or realistic long term diet.

Weight loss is about calories not type of food. You should start with just logging what you normally eat and sticking to your calorie goal. You can alter your diet in small steps after that- like getting more protein or having more vegetables on your plate.

Don't label food unhealthy or junk. A healthy diet is not a specific list of food but everything you consume working together to meet your body's needs. You need to look at actual nutrients of foods you eat and how they fit your whole day. There are a lot of ways to "eat healthy".
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/recreationandwellnesscenter/wellness/nutrition_corner/nutrition-101/

If you are eating out you can plan your order to fit your goals. Chain restaurants have nutritional information online usually. You might pair a regular burger with a side salad with vinaigrette dressing and an unsweetend iced tea instead of a tripe bacon cheeseburger with fries and a shake for example to reduce calories. There are choices that can fit your calorie goal.

I eat the same foods I always did just in appropriate portion sizes for my goal. I look at my calorie goal and protein goal mainly. I try to eat more vegetables or fruits than I used to. I prelog my food for the whole day every morning.

Typically I eat things like this:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Meat is not unhealthy.
    As far as soda, candy & fast food cutting those is fine, as long as it doesn't cause cravings that lead to binges. Everyone deals with that differently, some advocate moderation, but that doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes after not eating those items, you simply don't want them. You'll have to find what works.
    Exercise is good, but understand it's what you eat that has the greatest impact. Maybe alternate days and try to do more than 10 minutes of cardio on occasion.
  • ramicharowland
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's response.. Idk what a TDEE is?? I never said meat was unhealthy :smile:

I just don't want to eat it for now I don't mind losing a little muscle and having my calories burn quicker.

I think the majority of you guys' think I should just follow my calorie deficit and don't eat 20 big macs ( make good choices)

Also don't deprive myself of needed nutrients... thanks guys..