when running...

Options
brittg7
brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
what do you think about?

its an odd question but i have always been curious about what other runner think about on their runs.

i am a day dreamer for sure. i think about the day i can run in a sports bra and shorts without a care or worry, running with a boyfriend again (lol) and where i will be running a year from now, being as a year from now i will not be living where i currently am.

so the question:

when you run what do you think about?

Replies

• rider797
    rider797 Posts: 52
    Options
    110% what I am doing!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Thats why I hate running, I can't seem to turn off my brain. I keep thinking about how much running sucks, because it isn't challenging enough to take thinking out of it.

So I think about every breath, every step, every muscle.

Running sucks.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    At first it's my form. Once I get warmed up and the sweat is rolling, I just get into the music and how my body feels.
  • tigerlily_18
    Options
    Whether running or walking I get lost in the music...unless I'm with a pal.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thats why I hate running, I can't seem to turn off my brain. I keep thinking about how much running sucks, because it isn't challenging enough to take thinking out of it.

So I think about every breath, every step, every muscle.

Running sucks.

This.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    At first it's my form. Once I get warmed up and the sweat is rolling, I just get into the music and how my body feels.

yup.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Depends, some days I think about work, some days like Avalonis said I think about every step and breath and how far until I'm finished, and on really good days, I think about a story I'm writing and do some brainstorming.
  • rider797
    rider797 Posts: 52
    Options
    if and when you take running seriously you will focus on every stride...your pace...your fourm...but if I am just doing some loose training I listen to my music and take in the sights...but it is unbelievable the difference focusing on what you are doing can do for your running
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I run different routes almost every time I go out that helps keep me from getting too bored! But I think about everything from what I need to do the next day to whether or not there's a crazy person hiding in the bushes or not!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    today I was jogging up and down my stairs for a little calorie burn and I was thinking about my to do list tomorrow. It seems to be quicker when I have impoortant things to think about lol.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I TRY to think about things that need thinking about...but usually I just think about the fact that I am running, how far I have gone and how far I have to go, how long I could go, how many calories I am burning....blah, blah. Occasionally I'll actually start thinking about something else entirely and am amazed at how I forget what I am doing for a short time.

A friend of mine who is a serious long-distance runner for years (we're talking 8 or 9 miles per day!) says that running is his meditation time, where he thinks things through and works out problems. I am nowhere near that, but maybe someday! For now, good music helps spur me on.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Music, pace, prayer lists, grocery lists, what my kids are up to, the birds are chirping, what else to I need to do today, great song, this road is really busy today, wow I can't believe I'm doing this, crazy iPod playing weird stuff today, bunnies are cute, pace, just keep breathing, is it time for an energy bean yet, I love this singer, pace....

You get the idea. I'm all over the place. Sometimes I just need to focus! So far I've been getting my runs done and in the times I'm aiming for, so it's alright, but if it gets too distracting I'm going to need to figure out how to focus!!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think, "Just one more minute, okay just one more, okay to the end of this song, okay to the end of this lap, okay one more minute, just make it one more minute, okay to the end of this song, now the end of this lap...." I don't really enjoy running so I spend my entire run convincing myself to go just a little further.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about whether or not I am in my heart rate range where I am achieving the most efficient fat burn/calorie burn, then I look at form, then I think about how much my legs hurt and then I think about what I am going to do when the snows comes down in November and hope I will have reached my weight goal by then.

I remind myself that this is for my health and so I push through the pain and achieve my VICTORY!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well, I usually run on the balcony of my gym which overlooks the basketball courts. Thus, I usually focus on the guys playing basketball or just remind myself that once I am done running I will feel better and be happy that I worked out. Just jammin' to my music is what stops my mind from wandering otherwise.
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    I think...3 minutes left..I can do this!!

Or...oh..puddle..should I jump?...no....:)

Or...What am I going to do today?..now what am I not going ot do today?

Or...ooh! i bet at the mailbox I will be walking..(Im' doing couch to 5 K..so I'm on interval running)

or..what's for breakfest? What is my hubby doing? oh! I can catch up!

or really..it's all pretty random! lol
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I think about what the very second I cross the finish line on my first marathon will feel like!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Running is my therapy because I work through my problems or things that are stressing me (usually work). I plan my day, week month. I think about my running or fitness goals and I what I need to do to reach them. I also daydream - a lot!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I first start out listening to songs- that lasts about 5 minutes. Then I end up tuning out the songs and focusing on my breathing and my posture and how I am doing.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I run directly after work most days, so I think about work stuff and unwind from the day.
    I like to get into the music.
    I think about my time, pace, the way I feel, A LOT!!! I am constantly battling with myself to push it.

I enjoy running. I look forward to it everyday.