Do you eat your exercise calories ??

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is exactly why I follow the TDEE method and have updated my calories based on actual results every 4-6 weeks. All of this is just an estimate. Actual results based on average intake + average weight loss = ~ daily expenditure. From there, I adjust according to my goals.

Example, I eat 2500 calories a day on average. I lose 1 lb a week. 1 = 3500 / 7 day = 500 calorie deficit. My daily average TDEE = 3000 calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I try not to, the bigger deficit, the bigger the weight loss

And depending on how much you have to lose, the bigger the deficit, the more muscle mass you will lose. Your body can only oxidize so much fat in a day. The less total fat you have, the less percentage of that fat you can burn off. Once your body has burned off the amount of fat it can in a day, it takes the rest from other sources, meaning a bigger deficit is not always a better deficit as the goal is to lose fat not muscle and other lean mass.

Can't you prevent that, by eating, drinking additional protein and lifting weights?

That's only two of the three things that guard against muscle loss - the third being NOT HAVING an excessive and prolonged deficit.

FIFY

Oops! Thank you, nice catch.
    I must have been :drinker: my exercise calories.....

• ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the topic, MFP user @vismal spoke about his opinion on this in a YT vid:

https://youtu.be/tTb7lEs_6BU
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    Just to add to the topic, MFP user @vismal spoke about his opinion on this in a YT vid:

bwahaha..That's pretty close to me climbing a mountain - someone once referred to the pouch strapped to my sternum straps (containing clif bloks/clif bars/granola/peanut butter packets/etc) as my "feed bag". I like the term.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I now have a heart rate monitor that attaches to my phone. Using the supplied app (Wahoo fitness) during aerobic activities supposedly gives values that are more accurate than otherwise. Good for running, walking, elliptical training, cycling, etc.

But not swimming! The calorie estimates MFP provides for swimming seem high to me. (717kcals for a 50 minute "vigorous" swim. Well, I thought it was vigorous...)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So in my scenario, MFP is estimating my maintenance without exercise to be 2,400 calories. Now I go on a nice ride and burn around 600 calories...do I eat them back? Yes...yes I do...

In the summer I was riding for 90 minutes at ~16mph average. MPF said that was 1272kcals. I think that was an overestimate, although I have no proof.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

All that being said, my response:

First, I have very rarely seen people over state their activity level here. I am sure there are some, but the vast majority seem to select sedentary even when they are not. A case in point was a stay at home mom with five little children who set her activity level as sedentary. I am a dad, but even as a dad who worked outside of the house, when I returned home when our one son was small, I was not sedentary. If I was home with five, doing all the chores that are part of that, I definitely would not be sedentary, even lightly active would probably not cover it. So in terms of activity level, while conceivable that there are people who set it based on the exercise they do, I think that is the exception not the rule, at least on MFP.

As for the rest, I more of less agree with him in theory, but the thing is, it is not how MFP is set up. If a person sets their profile up correctly and gets their calorie goal from MFP, the expectation is that they will eat back the calories burned exercising for all the reasons that have been listed in this thread already. Saying, "Don't eat your exercise calories." will be taken by many new users to mean that to do so would be the wrong way to use MFP, and while he does a fairly good job stating if they don't want to eat back exercise calories they should use a different calorie calculation, at the same time, I think too many people would miss that and stick to their 1200 calories not eating back the hundreds of calories extra they burn exercising and thus burn themselves out making long term compliance very difficult.

Finally, there is one advantage to MFP's approach for those who are inconsistent with exercise. Yes, I agree the goal is to have weekly consistency in ones exercise pattern, however, for those starting out, that is often not the case. The carrot (rather than the punishment scenario he presents) is that when they exercise they get more calories. This can lead to more consistent exercise habits that would most definitely benefit from going with a deficit off TDEE.

So for the newbie, stick with MFP's approach and eat at least 50% of your exercise calories back until you are consistent with exercise, then consider other options.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I try not too, but only because my calorie burns are not that high (around 250 cals) and I like to have it as a buffer in case I've underestimated my calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

So in my scenario, MFP is estimating my maintenance without exercise to be 2,400 calories. Now I go on a nice ride and burn around 600 calories...do I eat them back? Yes...yes I do...

In the summer I was riding for 90 minutes at ~16mph average. MPF said that was 1272kcals. I think that was an overestimate, although I have no proof.

I would be around 800-900 calories for that...
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Nope... I usually don't.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes, since that's how the tool is designed and if I didn't I'd probably be netting in the neighborhood of 1300-1400 cals a day. I wouldn't last long before crashing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

So cwolfman13, what are those numbers based on?

It really depends on a person's stats. A 220 pound person doing a 90 minute a 14-16mph ride for 90 minutes will burn substantially more than a 180 pound rider doing the same ride, but 1272 doesn't sound like an outlandish number for an hour and a half of riding at a decent pace.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back.

With that said, I do not.

However, the reason I don't eat mine back is because I'm burning maybe 200 - 300 calories a day approximately five times a week through exercise. I have MFP set up to a modest 1 lb a week deficit. The extra 1,500 calories or so I burn through exercise bumps me up to almost a 1.5 lb a week loss, which isn't unreasonable at my size. I could set MFP up to a 1.5 lb a week loss and eat back my exercise calories, but on the days I didn't exercise I would have fewer calories. I'd just prefer it this way where I have the same amount of calories everyday.
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    i don't,but if i go over my calories during the week,i don't worry about it because of the fact i don't eat my exercise calories back.it gives me flexibility with the logging.

This sums up my approach, as well. Currently, I am not eating them because I am just starting back out, pretty much from the start. But, I do consider it a buffer that is there to protect me from a defeating sense of guilt if I have a heavier-calorie day or two. When I get into more intense workouts at a lower weight, this may change and I may need to eat them if I encounter the muscle loss issue. Right now, I don't need them because I have plenty of extra fat from which to draw that fuel...lol.
  • dancingshooz
    dancingshooz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me to select the option to not count the extra exercise calories in my goal for the day
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me to select the option to not count the extra exercise calories in my goal for the day

That's basically the TDEE method. You average out your exercise calories add them to your base calorie allowance, then set that as your goal. Your allowance is higher in that case than what MFP gives you to lose whatever amount you picked. It doesn't mean you don't count your exercise calories, it only means that you don't count them day to day.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes! I eat my exercise calories. Well, sort of...

I use a fitness tracker (w/chest strap heart rate monitor) for my calorie burn. I find to be extremely accurate. I use my calorie burn to gauge how hard I'm working (compared to my average burn) and supplement extra calories based on the type of my workout. On heavy/intense weight lifting days, I use exercise calories to add lean protein. On days I run, I use calories for nutrient-dense carbohydrates. I agree with others that I still try to end the day with an overall calorie deficit but you need to put back what you take out, so I allow some extra calories, eaten responsibly, on workout days!

I TRY not to use exercise calories as an opportunity to eat more cookies but I will say the holiday season was difficult. Every day is a new day. Happy to get back on track!

I so hear you about those cookie calories! :)
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I use mine as a buffer. I plan to eat just my regular calories, but then if I'm hungry, I give myself permission to eat half of the day's exercise calories. I don't always do it, but it's nice to have the option.

That's kind of what I do

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Is this supposed to be some kind of argument against eating food to replace the calories you burn with exercise? This lady doesn't have extra weight to lose, it looks like what she's doing works pretty well for her.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

So cwolfman13, what are those numbers based on?

It really depends on a person's stats. A 220 pound person doing a 90 minute a 14-16mph ride for 90 minutes will burn substantially more than a 180 pound rider doing the same ride, but 1272 doesn't sound like an outlandish number for an hour and a half of riding at a decent pace.

Primarily my Garmin 510 with HRM and speed and cadence sensor stacked against other sources and formulas, as well as four years of experience.

1200ish calories doesn't sound outlandish IMO at all depending on the individuals stats.