question for those who workout first thing in the morning...?

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hello, I work out at 6AM M-F. It depends how I feel when I get up. I might have 1/2 cup cherrioes and a 1/2 cup coffee. If i don't eat before workout after my shower I will have a light breakfast yogurt/fresh fruit with sliced almonds. I will eat again around 10AM--smaller meal e.g. 1 cup soup or small salad with protein. I usually aim for 5 smaller meals daily. I have to feel full or I will graze and make poor choices. Good luck. I love working out early--then it is done.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    PS I am in bed by 9PM. Sleep like a log until 530-545.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much! you're all amazing!

unfortunately i went to bed far too late last night as my husband needed help installing some flipping wall speakers once he got in at 7:30pm so i didn't hit my bed until midnight! it wasn't planned so i'll workout tonight then do my first morning one tomorrow morning.

i was properly hacked off that i couldn't get to bed early last night. my usual 6:30am alarm was hideous this morning.
    i'm ON IT tomorrow !!
  • Running_Dad
    Running_Dad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run early most mornings. I get up at 4:30, drink a glass of water, throw on the headlamp or Knuckle Lights and out the door I go. I rarely eat fist unless it is a 10+ mile run. Then I will have a banana and peanut butter on toast.
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning and take nothing other than a caffeine pill (I don't drink coffee or tea) and some water.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Voltarik wrote: »
    Remember one Golden Rule of loosing weight.
    No food after 7 PM and before 7 AM.

I don't mean to be.. well.. mean at all because I'm just not that kind of person, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard. It's one of the oldest myths out there for weight loss and I fell for it for years. It does not matter when you eat. Meal timing is only important if you're training for a specific goal, and even then it's questionable.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Up at 5 and at the gym at 6 every work day, 3 days of boot camp, 2 days with PT, then run on weekends. I make a spinach smoothie every morning so I eat half the banana before working out and put the other half in the smoothie but that's eat for eating usually. My PT told me I need to eat more carbs before coming as I've come close to passing out a couple of times but I just can't. I feel nauseous the whole time if I do. Anxious to see if anyone has overcome this hurdle. Thanks for posting this.

One huge tip my instructor gave me when I started was have your work out clothes near by so you just throw them on in the morning. I actually wore them to bed at the beginning (yes, my husband teased me about it for a while but he got over it once the results started showing) and have your lunch and work stuff ready to go.

I love that I tick that off my list of things to do first thing in the morning and I feel great all day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:15. Lets the dogs out. Pee. Weigh. Treadmill for 30 mins then eat. But my treadmill is downstairs, so I'm not hitting a gym.
  • prdrivas
    prdrivas Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Start at 4:30 AM in my home gym. As far as eating goes, depends on where my blood sugar is (I'm a T2 diabetic). If it's low, I have maybe 4 oz of orange juice. Otherwise, I exercise fasted. If I know I'm going to be doing a longer workout, like a long run, I'll have a protein bar or Kind bar.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! you guys are all amazing getting up at 4am!!! i thought 6:30am was a good start.

only trouble is i don't go to bed at 8pm or 9pm. i've only just sat down now from my day and it's 9:15pm. i'll be up for at least another 2 hours.

i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

thanks for all your tips and routines - it's really helpful.

Everybody is different but I have done bed at 10 up at 4;15 for years.

If you need more sleep go to bed earlier. Why do you need to "sit down from your day for 2 hours?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! you guys are all amazing getting up at 4am!!! i thought 6:30am was a good start.

only trouble is i don't go to bed at 8pm or 9pm. i've only just sat down now from my day and it's 9:15pm. i'll be up for at least another 2 hours.

I'll be honest, it's easy for my body to stay up later if I let it. On nights where I don't seem tired at 8-9pm I simply use Zzzquil, Benadryl (same thing only cheaper), or maybe Melatonin rarely. Gets me back on track. For instance, tomorrow is a rest day for me, so I will probably be up until 10-11, so tomorrow night it'll be rough getting back to bed at 9pm so I'll likely use some Benadryl. I have allergies anyway so I always keep Benadryl around. You just have to make it a priority. Life will intervene from time to time, but if you've been getting a decent amount of sleep the rest of the week by going to bed early a hitch here and there shouldn't kill you. Because getting up so early is tough for me, I tend to take my rest days on Mondays and Thursdays and make sure not to miss my workouts on weekends because I can sleep in then. That leaves me only 3 work week days I need to get up that early.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:15-5:30 M-F and work out in my garage before I get ready for work. I have a half cup of coffee to get me going, and sometimes a small piece of multi-grain toast. Just depends how hungry I am.
    If I am not in bed by 10pm, I have a hard time getting up that early. I don't sleep great so I will take a Benadryl or Melatonin beforehand, to ensure I get sleep.
  • kpletcher08
    kpletcher08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started working out in the morning and I grab water and a fruit and nut bar before my workout and eat some breakfast after.
  • slinky_shaz
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Everybody is different but I have done bed at 10 up at 4;15 for years.

If you need more sleep go to bed earlier. Why do you need to "sit down from your day for 2 hours?

i like to sit down for a bit before bed because i am on my feet all day. up and down ladders and i take a 10 minute lunch break sat on a paint tin. apart from my drive to work, i really am stood up all day. i like a bit of chill time with my husband before i pass out at the end of the day.

again thanks all for your wonderful input x
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I try to get morning work outs in, although lately it hasn't been happening. When I do go in the morning, I eat a protein bar pre-workout, BCAA's intra-work out and tons of water and coffee post-work out followed by a lot of protein throughout the course of my day. It's definitely more convenient than trying to get a work out in during the busy evening hours.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So, I'm guessing all you guys waking up at 4am are going to bed at 8pm?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

No, I go to bed at 10, up by 4:30. 6.5 hours is plenty of sleep. In fact it feels like a luxury after having a kid who woke up EVERY HOUR for the first year of her life.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i was just wondering how you do your morning.
    i usually workout at home after baby has gone to bed (6:30/7pm) and before i've cooked dinner for my husband and i. it's annoying to be honest so i'm thinking of doing it in the morning instead. i'm up at 6:30am so have window to do it before the house wakes up and i leave for work but do you eat or drink beforehand? the thought of exercise at 6:30 on an empty stomach makes wonder ....

thank you

I don't typically eat before exercise unless I'm doing an early morning long run. I usually just have some water and maybe I'll have coffee if there's time.
  • ashorey87
    ashorey87 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hate working out at night.... so I'm part of the 4am club too. My workouts are always fasted.

Alarm goes off at 4am, in the gym by 4:30am, back home by 6:30am, shower/dressed/hair/makeup, then bigggg breakfast, then 45 minute commute and at work for 9am. 6 days a week.
  • slinky_shaz
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

No, I go to bed at 10, up by 4:30. 6.5 hours is plenty of sleep. In fact it feels like a luxury after having a kid who woke up EVERY HOUR for the first year of her life.

i feel like that! my babe did the same.