Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    CJMQ wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I've had recomp on my mind for a couple of months now. I hit my goal of 176 a while back and have been fluctuating between that and 180 ever since, pretty steadily, while working hard at body weight exercises and dumbbell routines.

I'm hoping that I'm progressing here, because I'm just not seeing any development, size that is. On the plus side I'm definitely seeing endurance and strength gains but for a wall I hit a week or two ago.

I'll get it figured out eventually. I just don't know enough about all the particulars of training right now, or exactly what to expect and when to expect it.

That said, I do feel worlds better than a year ago, so there's that. :)

Have you been taking pictures? I find some of the places I measure don't change, but I sure look different! Stuff moves around.

I still haven't. I just forget lol. You're certainly right though.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    When I couldn't focus on losing any more, I ended up doing more or less a recomp. Left is prior to beginning lifting, right is probably about a year into it, about 7 pounds lighter. I do still want to drop some fat but recomp kept me sane when I just wasn't in the mindset to lose.
    4db66hj3d8o4.png

Wow! Great job!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Totally agree; awesome!! B)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've been signposted to this thread as I'm at a bit of a dead end weight loss wise. Well, I say dead end - I'm just unsure what I need to be doing.

My stats are:
    Sex: F
    Height: 5'4''
    Weight: 58kg/127lb
    Body fat: 35.2%
    BMI: 22

So as you can see my BMI is in the healthy range but my body fat % is waaaaaaaay out of whack. What should I be doing? If I set MFP to 'lose' it's difficult because I'm in the healthy range BMI and not massively overweight. I have started a gym program of HIIT combined with pilates and core classes, and some steady state cardio. However I'm really confused as what I should be aiming for calorie wise and what I should be doing exercise wise to lessen the body fat %. All advice is really welcome as I'm so frustrated about this, I keep reading different things!

Thanks
    H
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    hbunting86 wrote: »
    Hi all

I've been signposted to this thread as I'm at a bit of a dead end weight loss wise. Well, I say dead end - I'm just unsure what I need to be doing.

My stats are:

So as you can see my BMI is in the healthy range but my body fat % is waaaaaaaay out of whack. What should I be doing? If I set MFP to 'lose' it's difficult because I'm in the healthy range BMI and not massively overweight. I have started a gym program of HIIT combined with pilates and core classes, and some steady state cardio. However I'm really confused as what I should be aiming for calorie wise and what I should be doing exercise wise to lessen the body fat %. All advice is really welcome as I'm so frustrated about this, I keep reading different things!

Thanks
    H

Priority 1 should be starting a weightlifting program. I have been on Stronglifts 5x5 and love it. I wish I had lifted during my weight loss cause then I would have had less of the loss be lean muscle.

As for calories, you have 2 options. Go below maintenance with the plan to get your body fat lower and then add muscle in a bulk. The other is maintenance and attempt a recomposition.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi all

My stats are:

Thanks
    H
    @hbunting86
    First off - how are you measuring your BF% ?
    You need to make decisions made on good data and there's lots of really inaccurate ways to get an estimate!
    A look at the bodyfat pictures here might give you an idea - http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
    The fastest way to lose fat is a calorie deficit of course but your weight/height sounds about right (hence part of my question about your fat estimate).

Your training regime isn't a regime to promote the adding of muscle. That's the second thing to look at. Weight / strength training is the most efficient way. Following an established program is normally best or get a PT to set your up a program that aligns with your goals.

What you decide to do about losing or maintaining weight governs your calorie choice.
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Thanks - my body fat % was measured in the gym on a machine so I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. It sounds off to me, but there again does it take into account boobs etc? I'm quite busty haha.

Calorie wise again I'm unsure. I suppose I'd rather gain muscle and so weights do sound a good option for me. I do like cardio so will still continue to do some. I also do yoga and pilates, but that's more for stability and with yoga, meditation and relaxation. It's not training per se.

At 0.25kg loss I'm alotted 1290cal as per MFP. Working out my BMR this is 1367.25. I don't know if that affects anything.

I guess I'll try incorporating some heavy lifting and go from there...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks - my body fat % was measured in the gym on a machine so I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. It sounds off to me, but there again does it take into account boobs etc? I'm quite busty haha.

Calorie wise again I'm unsure. I suppose I'd rather gain muscle and so weights do sound a good option for me. I do like cardio so will still continue to do some. I also do yoga and pilates, but that's more for stability and with yoga, meditation and relaxation. It's not training per se.

At 0.25kg loss I'm alotted 1290cal as per MFP. Working out my BMR this is 1367.25. I don't know if that affects anything.

The problem with the gym machines is they are bioimpendance (electrical pulse) machines, which if not set up correctly or done in an appropriate manor can be vastly inaccurate (like 10%). They are best utilized in the morning, after fasting for 8 + hours, and after you pee. Even then, you might get it down to 6% accuracy. Fluids, among other things can make them a lot more inaccurate.

Since there aren't any good shots of you in your profile, it's rather hard to assess if a small cut or a recomp would be beneficial. At the very least, I would start working on figure out where your maintenance calories sit, adjust protein to around 110g (if not already) and ideal pick up a 3 day full body routine. There are a few programs that are more directed towards women: NROL4W, StrongCurves, and Thinner Leaner Stronger. They are all books which walk you through the whole process and plan (roughly 52 weeks). Other fan favorites on this board are StrongLifts and Starting Strength. That latter is the most basic program you can follow. It's very effective and only composed of 4 lifts, 3 per day. And Mark Riptoe is one of the most knowledgeable strength coaches out there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

If you're talking one of those handhelds in the gym, they are so ridiculously off for some people it's hysterical. Those handheld put me under 10% because I have a very lean upper body, however my lower half is all of my fat distribution. If you are busty and carry your body fat on your upper half it is going to ridiculously overestimate your body fat. So there is a chance that that machine is 10% or more off. Pictures if you're willing to post them would be slightly helpful for us to give you an idea if we think it's accurate or not

Like other said you need to decide if you want to do a recomp at maintenance or do bulk and cut Cycles to work on muscle development that way.

Either way you also should decide if you want to go the route of a personal trainer or just using a preset up lifting program. No matter what you should have lifting into your program if your concern is muscle and lowering body fat.

And never eat below BMR. Never ever ever. BMR is what your body basically needs to survive in bed rest in a coma. no reason to do that to your body.
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Thanks guys both those posts are really helpful. I'll certainly check out some of the reading material. I'll also post some photos tomorrow when I'm on the computer. There's plenty for me to think about but the 3 day full body program idea sounds like it'd fit in really well with my other commitments.

Thanks for the advice and I now know not to eat below BMR :smiley:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That is 1290 cal for NON-exercise days - if you are really the activity level you picked.

Most seem to pick sedentary - most are not actually, even with desk job.

Add some calories from your exercise - you'll rarely if ever have a goal of 1290.
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Thanks - I will do. It's a great bonus knowing I can and should eat those back, whilst upping my overall calories. I think that's the mistake I've made in the past, not lifting heavy and eating too much of a deficit so that the only thing that ever happened was that I was 'skinny fat' which is absolutely what I DON'T want. I really want to get lean and toned, bring my overall body fat % down and build muscle. Seem to have got more sense from this thread than most of MFP threads put together haha :wink:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks - I will do. It's a great bonus knowing I can and should eat those back, whilst upping my overall calories. I think that's the mistake I've made in the past, not lifting heavy and eating too much of a deficit so that the only thing that ever happened was that I was 'skinny fat' which is absolutely what I DON'T want. I really want to get lean and toned, bring my overall body fat % down and build muscle. Seem to have got more sense from this thread than most of MFP threads put together haha :wink:

If you consistently exercise, I would move to the TDEE method, where you do the calorie calculation to include exercise. From there, you would eat the same amount of calories every day. After 4 weeks, you would make an adjustment based on actual results. For example, if you ate 1600 calories on every for 4 weeks and you lost 1/2 lb per week on average, you would increase your calories to 1850 (1/2 lb week weight loss roughly equals a 250 calorie deficit) to get at maintenance and work the recomp. Or you could set it at 1700 and allow some room for error.
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Ah I see - I'll have a go at this. When you say work the recomp, what exactly does that entail? Sorry for the questions just want to make sure I get things accurate.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ah I see - I'll have a go at this. When you say work the recomp, what exactly does that entail? Sorry for the questions just want to make sure I get things accurate.

Eating around maintenance, training hard and getting adequate nutrition. Over time, you should seem some changes in your body... fat loss and increased muscle mass.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options

If you have to time, read through this whole thread and it will give you a good idea. Unlike losing fat with a deficit, then seeking to put on muscle with a bulk eating over maintenance for a time while lifting heavy, then losing fat again with a deficit hopefully coming out of the cycle with more muscle, a recomp instead has a person eating at maintenance or a very small amount below and lifting heavy to slowly burn off fat and slowly put on muscle, basically to recompose their body to being leaner and looking better. The goal is not to lose weight, but to basically remain the same weight and change body composition.
  • hbunting86
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Eating around maintenance, training hard and getting adequate nutrition. Over time, you should seem some changes in your body... fat loss and increased muscle mass.

Thanks - that's great info :smile: I'm really enjoying training hard, so it stands to reason that I am naturally hungrier. I cook from scratch all the time (always have) but have really upped how much attention I pay to protein. Contemplating getting a supplement but unsure whether whey or casein is the best option and which brands are both palatable and reputable... there seems to be a LOT out there!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The machines are notoriously inaccurate. Yes it would include boobs!
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump