Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• britda62
    britda62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to be friends with any other moms too! Feel free to send friend request!
  • Walkergirl74
    Walkergirl74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Newly married 42 year old mother of 5 teenagers (3 of mine, 2 of his) who joined 3 days ago with my husband. We want to be healthy and more active so we can have a long life together! I also need to be a better role model (when it comes to eating) for our kids. I love fast food, eating out, and soda- I have had none in 4 days and am down 7lbs. I'm sure it's water weight. Husband and I are having fun challenging and supporting each other!

Love to add some friends and see how others journeys have gone.
  • SimplyEmi
    SimplyEmi Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here, mommy of 3 girls ages 9,8&6 also a 16yr old girl who lives with her dad, and 20 yr old marine son who just made me a grandma.
    Im 5'3" 250lbs and would like to lose 50lbs by next xmas.
    I dont drink soda or eat fast foods but I'm an emotional/stress/late eater and pretty much sedentary.
    I've challenged my 16yr old and I want to show her I can do this.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My family and I are going to the next level lol. my wife and daughter and I workout together now, and it's interesting to see.

My wife....is a machine. She hasn't worked out for years and is slightly overweight, but she goes after it like a beast.

My daughter is 26 and knows the routines well, but she's out of shape.

I'm 31 years older than her, but in good shape, albeit with a lot of old injuries that really plague my workouts.

Anyway, my daughter and I are going to do the Tough Mudders competition in June. It's going to require a good mix of strength and muscular endurance training for me to get through that.

The reason I'm posting this is for parents who wonder if they'll ever manage to have a decent relationship with their kids. She and I have been through hard times. She was extremely rebellious 10 years ago. Much Love, patience and a little harshness later...and next to my wife, she's one of my best friends today.

My wife isn't competing this go around. She wants this to be ALL about the Daddy/Daughter team.

Yeah, very proud parent right here. :)
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    1abpva6l26as.jpg

Some words of wisdom for you this Friday evening. It doesn't matter if you are wanting to better yourself in your career, your health, fitness, your family, or whatever it is you might want to be progressing in. The first thing you have to look at is what your current standards are? Are you setting yourself up for success or failure? Maybe your standards are actually a little below where they actually are, but your expectations are high?

For example, when I first decided to get back in shape, I was going through the motions to exercise and do the best I could at that, but I wasn't changing my nutritional habits. I was still eating what I wanted, and quantities that were much more than I needed, or some times not enough, and my weight loss results were very slow. I had to take a hard look at what I was wanting to accomplish and what I needed to do to accomplish that.

One of the first things you can try is to look at someone that has achieved the goal you want? But before you go to far, you then have to ask yourself...do you really want that for yourself? You may look at what their standards are and realize that is not for you or doesn't fit your lifestyle. So be absolutely sure before you adapt to someone else standards.

If you do resonate with their standards, then look at what they have done to accomplish those goals. If you are not sure, ask them. I'm willing to bet that they would be more than happy to share with you. If not, then look to someone else. Everyone is different, and someones approach may be different or better for you than another.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I would LOVE to have more mom and dad friends!!!

There's plenty of room on my friends list if you're interested. I'm pretty fortunate, got a great mix of very active friends always posting, including Mike, who is a machine lol. Great support :)

You are too kind. Thank you. I do my best.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    H&C - Chisel Endurance. I forgot how unforgiving Autumn was in this one. MHR =145. Calories burned =297.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Happy Sunday. You made it through the first full week of 2017. You should be proud of yourself. Take someone time to be with your friends and family and enjoy the day.
  • KingsQueen86
    KingsQueen86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a super busy full time shift working mom and wife....with a house full of auto immune Type 1 diabetic boys. Everyone in my house is involved in activities but not everyone drives! Lol! But of course I'm good with playing taxi to and from the hockey rink etc. My busy life has gotten in the way of my dedication to my personal health and fitness, so I decided it was time to change that. Some support would be awesome!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Alright, I have my calendar updated in my phone, soo all of my workout's are scheduled, meal times, personal development times, etc. So this should keep me on track, and still be able to spend time with my family. I have found it so much easier when I schedule my day and stick with it. How many of you do this?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Personal development times? If you don't mind can you explain that a bit more?

The only thing I really schedule is my workout and that happens when I wake up so it is pretty easy. Beyond that it is work and then home but my kids haven't hit the sports age yet so I will probably have to start scheduling before long (or more likely my wife will send me my schedule so I don't forget anything :D )
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I read 15-20 minutes a day to better my mind and way of thinking. Right now I am reading the Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen. I have been doing this off and on for the past couple of years, and have actually become a better leader and supervisor at my job because of it. I also listen to audio books on my way to work. I have an hour commute, so I figure better to fill my head with knowledge then memorizing lyrics to songs. So... fit body and fit mind :smile:
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thank you for sharing. Right now I have an extremely short commute (about 10 minutes) it looks like that will be changing soon and I might have to find some good books on tape. Any recommendations?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Interesting, thank you for sharing. Right now I have an extremely short commute (about 10 minutes) it looks like that will be changing soon and I might have to find some good books on tape. Any recommendations?

Start with why by Simon Sinek
    You are a badass by Jen Sincero
    The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone
    The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell
    The 15 invaluable laws of Growth by John Maxwell

I use the Audible app. Books are pretty cheap on there, and use bluetooth in my car to play through my car stereo.
  • Lostinblac
    Lostinblac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm.new to this and new to.parenting if anyone wants to add feel free
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Lostinblac wrote: »

Welcome to parenthood!
  • Lostinblac
    Lostinblac Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Welcome to parenthood!

Thankyou
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a whole new kind of workout for ya lol. Sent a FR :)
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    yqj7kianaujo.jpg

So often I hear, "I used to eat x amount of calories, then I increased it to x more calories, and I am still starving. What am I doing wrong?"

The issue is not necessarily that you are not eating enough calories, but you are not eating enough of the right calories. Food is fuel for the body. Your body is a machine. If you do not keep it fueled with the right stuff, you will shut down, be starving, cranky, and more.

Think about it this way. What would happen if you were to fill your car with diesel instead of unleaded gasoline. Chances are it may run for a few minutes, but then it will konk out and you will be stuck. So now you have to flush that out, put the right fuel in it, and then you can go.

Your body is the same way. Imagine if you only ate foods like pizza, mac n cheese, and heavily processed foods. Sure, your body will go for a little while, but that spike in energy will wear off and then your stuck. Not to mention, because those choices are lacking in so many nutrients, your body isn't fulfilled, so the brain keeps saying I need more! So what do you do? You grab another slice of pizza, have another serving of mac n cheese, and slam a coke to wake you up. This vicious cycle will continue over and over.

However, by just changing your nutrition up a little, and adding in more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and "healthy" fats, your body has the right stuff. You are now filling it with all those macro and micro nutrients the body needs to perform it's job. When you have the right balance of foods and nutrients, you will feel better, have more energy, be more alert and....not as hungry. Because your body now has what it needs.
    I used to make this same mistake. I would eat anything I could find to hit that magic calorie intake number, and then still be hungry hours later. And, I wouldn't lose any weight. Once I actually paid attention to a nutrition guide that came with one of my workouts, I found I was eating less, but still feeling energized and full, and actually started losing weight.

So I challenge you. The next time you have these thoughts or feelings, take a good hard look at what you ate for the day and see if you are balancing it out with the right calories. If you're not sure what those are, then chat with me. I would be more than happy to help you out.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    gu4ygfdbpoou.jpg

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting this. Unfortunately, I did not make my goal. I was about 10 miles shy. I know there were a couple of last minute likes.

But you know what. I am still proud of my achievement. When I set this goal, I didn't even think I would get half way there to be honest. So to say that yeah, I RAN 331 miles last year. That's pretty awesome. Most people wont even drive that far for a vacation.

So thank you to everyone that supported me and encouraged me. I couldn't have done it without you.

We'll see what 2017 brings!
This discussion has been closed.