help me out a little please...well maybe alot

Options

Replies

• tmm4580
    tmm4580 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look up some articles on carb cycling it's one of the fast ways to get the body to shed fat. Also there is a cook book called: Flexible Dieting IIFYM Box Set #1 Flexible Dieting 101 + The Flexible Dieting Cookbook: 160 Delicious High Protein Recipes for Building Healthy Lean Muscle & Shredding Fat $12.00.
    It goes into why your MACROs are so important, (it also talks about carb cycling) and once you understand it all a bit better it will not seem so chaotic. IIFYM=If it fits your macros, so it goes hand in hand with the MFP and it explains a lot. Only cycle until you reach your desired weight though.
    Most of a healthy life style is education once you know and understand it, it becomes natural for you. A side plus is if you get your kids to eat what you eat you will see a dramatic difference in how they behave and how their brain reacts faster and better. At least I did.
    I get most of my food at Aldi and it is super cheap if you have to use Walmart they now price match with the aldi ads so you can get the same price. Also try to avoid Gluten. If an ingredient list has more that 1-5 items on it you probably don't want to be putting it in your body, your liver doesn't know what to do with all the processed stuff and stores it as fat.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    tmm4580 wrote: »
    Look up some articles on carb cycling it's one of the fast ways to get the body to shed fat. Also there is a cook book called: Flexible Dieting IIFYM Box Set #1 Flexible Dieting 101 + The Flexible Dieting Cookbook: 160 Delicious High Protein Recipes for Building Healthy Lean Muscle & Shredding Fat $12.00.
    It goes into why your MACROs are so important, (it also talks about carb cycling) and once you understand it all a bit better it will not seem so chaotic. IIFYM=If it fits your macros, so it goes hand in hand with the MFP and it explains a lot. Only cycle until you reach your desired weight though.
    Most of a healthy life style is education once you know and understand it, it becomes natural for you. A side plus is if you get your kids to eat what you eat you will see a dramatic difference in how they behave and how their brain reacts faster and better. At least I did.
    I get most of my food at Aldi and it is super cheap if you have to use Walmart they now price match with the aldi ads so you can get the same price. Also try to avoid Gluten. If an ingredient list has more that 1-5 items on it you probably don't want to be putting it in your body, your liver doesn't know what to do with all the processed stuff and stores it as fat.

Nope
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kzooyogi wrote: »
    A huge way to save money in the long run is to make things yourself! It will cost a little more upfront so that you can stock your pantry, but once you have things on hand, making your own sauces, salad dressing, condiments, etc. saves so much money and only takes a few minutes!

When i was a single mom i also bought all my meat in BULK. Its cheaper to do this sometimes then individual packs. Also it helps to make soups and freeze them! If you cook maybe make more then you would nornally eat and freeze it aswell so you know its there and easy. Soups, stews, stirfry heck if you need buy whole chickens! You got fresh chicken then and then yoi can make chicken noodle soup!

Uncut meat is normally cheaper then yoi can portion when you cut it
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    you made me smile kommodevaran when you said 195 pounds isn't that much but for someone who is 5'5" I think it is but looking at me you couldn't tell. im mostly heavy in my midsection and thighs. I also know I must buy a scale to weigh my food. this is probably the main reason why I could never lose any weight. also eating the wrong things and feeling hungry an hour afterwards. I know what I need to do but I can never remain consistent. after a week or 2 I relapse and im back to the crap again. the willpower has to come from within. im trying to find it

Baby steps really help. Don't pressure yourself to get everything "right" right away. You're already off to a good start by focusing first on diet before getting into exercise. Then you took another good step by cutting out the alcohol. You're getting a lot of good advice. @GauchoMark's nutrition info and meal ideas will be really helpful. If you are like many people, protein will keep you feeling full longer, which can help reduce overeating at other times of the day. Since you struggle with being hungry an hour after eating, I'd probably next see if you can eat more protein.
  • tmm4580
    tmm4580 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pintrest is your friend for finding recipes for low carb, healthy, keogenic and you can enter them in the recipes section on MFP and tweak the ingredients to make things healthier. Try to eat 6 times a day, 3 meals, 2 snacks. Up your water intake!
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    tmm4580 wrote: »

Nope

Big nope.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Is there an Aldis (good quality low cost supermarket) or food pantries near you? Try those. Also WIC could supplement the family food budget. When I started my weight loss journey my budget wasn't the greatest either. Those helped a lot.

I lived off of small portions of leftovers, sandwiches, soups, oatmeal and cereal for lunch. If I got fast food I made it stretch to lunch and dinner with extra veggies. Shop sales, look for manager's specials in the store, cut coupons. Try to plan meals, and shop with a list and stick to it!

A lot of good advice was given to you from the other posters. You can do this!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    lots of great tips here, and i want to just add a +1 for making large batch food and freezing. soups, casseroles, curries, etc. freeze really well, you can portion them out and stick a piece of tape with the calories on them in the freezer then you have them ready to grab and go when you don't have the time or energy to cook. i also eat a lot of leftovers and i'm ok with making something in a big batch and eating the same thing every day for a week because it gives me time to do all the other things i need to do besides cooking.

having a consistent 4-5 recipes you can go to at any time is great too, you can use pinterest or the recipe section here for ideas. i always keep greek yogurt, tofu, canned tuna and eggs on hand for protein in a pinch. rice bought in bulk and i always have a couple of cans of coconut milk stocked up from sales too. i find that pretty much any veg on the verge of going bad can be a great meal with some curry powder and coconut milk over rice with a protein.
  • danipals1
    danipals1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree that Aldi is the place to go! Their produce is usually much cheaper as are eggs/milk. Eggs are our "go to" for inexpensive healthy meals, especially since they have been so inexpensive the past few months. You can get a dozen eggs for well under a dollar and that is good protein for multiple meals. Add in a loaf of whole wheat bread and some produce and you have quite a few meals for just a few dollars.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good advice. I just wanted to add budgetbytes.com. Delicious recipes that are really cost friendly! She is pasta heavy, so watch your portions, but everything is pretty healthy.

My groceries cost approximately $130 per week, feeding myself, my husband, 2 kids, and includes toiletries and dog food for two large dogs. I usually make one meal that Hubs and I eat all week for lunch (this week was big pot of turkey chili). A baked oatmeal does breakfast for a couple days. Birdseye Steamers veggies are a staple.

It takes more time, but as you get used to meal prep/batch cooking, it's much easier! Once a month or so, I do a freezer meal day where I prep things that I can freeze to dump in the crock pot.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    im a little overwhelmed by all the responses but im taking it all in. my first purchase will be a scale that's for sure and then ill focus on the food. I do have my family's support but im not going to force them on this journey with me. This is for me and if they want to make changes they have to want it for themselves. It will be hard to be around them when they are eating everything I love but after time im sure I wont even want those foods anymore. Im just trying to learn to be patient. I have always wanted a quick fix. Now its just time to slow my roll and learn from this website. Ive failed at this before but I never give up. I think this time im ready

And who ever said you cant eat that? Think we all eat "healthy"? Key is moderation and planning.. i get excited about eating cookies now lol and on sat ill be drinking eating pizza and having cake. Will i feel guilty? Not a chance! Because were allowed every once in awhile;) good luck!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You've got a great attitude!!! Slow is good. Do what you can right now to stay at your calorie goal. Slowly you will learn what foods keep you satisfied and what foods to eat only occasionally. Read through the forums for tips and things.

Best of luck!!
  • donnapal79
    donnapal79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    -Plan your meals around what's on sale. I bought a chicken on sale for $79/lb. I roasted it Sunday for dinner. Made chicken salad for lunches a couple of days. And am now simmering the bones for broth. When the broth is done (2 days in the crock pot) I will feed the bones to my dogs and cat as treats and use the broth to make a soup or something this weekend.
    -Make soup at the end of the week with all your leftover veggies.
    -Beans and rice are super cheap and versatile.
    -Use your freezer. If it's just you and your daughter, it will be easier and more cost effective to make large batches of things and freeze some for additional meals when things are tight.
    -Add veggies for bulk. I especially love cabbage for this. I just bought cabbage for 10 cents a pound and it can be added to many different types of dishes.
    -Bacon is not the devil. A little goes a long way for flavor and the bacon grease can be reused.
    -Flavor your food well and you can satisfy a lot of different cravings. Herbs, vinegar, fish sauce, chilli sauce; mix it up so you don't get bored.

Bottom line: Healthy eating isn't really expensive.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    +1 for Aldi's. Lentils are very inexpensive and a good source of protein and fiber. We have meat for dinner maybe twice a week; the other five nights are bean-based.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm eating well on a very tight budget - feeding the family on the USDA "Thrifty Food Plan" budget, which is what SNAP is based on.

A few thoughts from someone who does all the shopping and cooking for 2 adults and 2 teens while working full time and does it on the cheap:
    1) Spend the money that was being spent on drinking on health-related things.
    2) You don't need special food to lose weight.
    3) We eat a lot of beans, lentils, ground meat, chicken thighs.
    4) I stretch meat with beans and grains. (Example: When we have burritos, there are always beans in it too)
    5) Frozen veggies are your friend - I get frozen store brand veggies for 99c a bag (that's not sale, that's the regular price) and they're a great way to get more vitamins and fiber. Frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash are especially cost-effective.

Regulars in our meal plan include:
    Beef and bean burritos: pack of tortillas, pound of ground beef, 2 cans of beans (I mash them with a potato masher in an iron skillet), bit of cheese (maybe an ounce per person).
    Red beans and rice with bacon or ham
    Jambalaya - a lot of rice, carrots, onions, a can of tomatoes, some chicken thighs and some diced sausage
    Split pea soup - peas, carrots, onions, a bit of ham or bacon

All those can be healthy foods and can be "diet" foods when eaten in reasonable portions.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i feel like im a train wreck seriously. Im the heaviest ive ever been in my entire life. Even when I was pregnant I was never this heavy. I weigh in at 195 pounds and im 33 years old. I know where this gain has come from and its alcohol and fast food. Almost everyday. Well good news is ive completely cut out the alcohol. I cant even drink in moderation...at least not for now anyway so it had to go. As a single mom working from paycheck to paycheck and getting some government assistance with food, its super hard to buy all the healthy stuff that I need to get started. So I will be relying on my tax refund to stock up on at least 2-3 months of healthy foods to get myself started. What I want to know is...myfitnesspal has me at 1240 cals a day given the info that I put in and I feel that's way too low. Im sure it can be done but I feel like im starving near the end of the day because most of my cals are eaten at lunch time. That's when im the hungriest. I guess I just need some suggestions of what I can eat on a very tight budget for now and I really mean TIGHT! I want to focus on my diet before I incorporate any exercise. Don't want to put too much on my plate at once...literally. so any suggestions im open to and my diary is a hot mess lol please don't judge. Also I know absolutely nothing about macros and all those other words so ill need the basics to start off. Thanks[/quote
    you might consider low carb high fat (LCHF) or Keto. i have been doing it for a year. i cut my cals and am rarely hungry or have cravings and have lost 120 pounds great website that you do not have to buy anything is dietdoctor.com
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the advice on sales, coupons, & meal planning. A few additional notes:
    Make sure you write the expiration dates in a large, easy to see way on the packages where you can’t miss it, and make sure you use everything before it expires – we produce WAY too much food waste in this country. Eggs are a super cheap way to get protein in, and can often go on sale for a $1 a dozen, although not as often as they used to LOL. Frozen veggies are better than canned, because they usually have less sodium in them, but both are good options, so when they go on sale, stock up. They can be nutrionally equivalent, if not better than, your average grocery store fresh produce, particularly this time of year. This is because they are flash frozen & packed very quickly after they are picked.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/reasons-buy-frozen-fruits-veggies/story?id=20683879
    Dry beans are cheapest, but take some planning to soak the night before. If that is just too much, then stock up on the canned beans when they go on sale.
    Ultimately, planning is going to be your biggest tool. Keep a food inventory list on the cupboard or fridge door, so you know what you have and when you need to replace it. Sit down with the weekly ads, see what’s on sale, and take a few minutes to plan out the meals for the week using those sale ingredients, plus what you have in your pantry that needs to be used up. When it goes on sale, buy the BOGO chicken breasts, cook them all, portion them out, & freeze them in some Ziploc to have cooked meat whenever you need it. That would help with the “fast” part of replacing fast food too. The recipe sites are a great help for planning meals around sales, because you can plug in the one or two key ingredients you’d like to use. Good luck on your journey to a healthier you!
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    im a little overwhelmed by all the responses but im taking it all in. my first purchase will be a scale that's for sure and then ill focus on the food. I do have my family's support but im not going to force them on this journey with me. This is for me and if they want to make changes they have to want it for themselves. It will be hard to be around them when they are eating everything I love but after time im sure I wont even want those foods anymore. Im just trying to learn to be patient. I have always wanted a quick fix. Now its just time to slow my roll and learn from this website. Ive failed at this before but I never give up. I think this time im ready

And who ever said you cant eat that? Think we all eat "healthy"? Key is moderation and planning.. i get excited about eating cookies now lol and on sat ill be drinking eating pizza and having cake. Will i feel guilty? Not a chance! Because were allowed every once in awhile;) good luck!

I like how you eat lol! I wanna be like you but for nowi have to start off slow because that kind of food is like pringles and you know what they say about pringles lol once you pop you cant stop