Full Body Workouts - Muscle Building?

Options
I've been reading a lot about how in the pre-roid era, the body builders would do full body workouts. I'm curious if anyone has had experience doing full body routines, and if so, are they good for building strength and muscle? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The most commonly recommended beginners barbell training routine is probably 5x5 SL, which is a full body work out and gives excellent strength and (with the right diet) muscle gain.

I work with a PT who bases his beginner and intermediate plans around full body work outs (unless, I guess there is some specific sporting, mobility, or rehab reason not to).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The most commonly recommended beginners barbell training routine is probably 5x5 SL, which is a full body work out and gives excellent strength and (with the right diet) muscle gain.

I work with a PT who bases his beginner and intermediate plans around full body work outs (unless, I guess there is some specific sporting, mobility, or rehab reason not to).

Agreed. I would say the one except or reason to not follow a full body routine is if you struggle with recovery issues. Some people struggle to adequate recovery from squating/DL 3x a week and would benefit more from an upper/lower or push/pull split. But starting with a full body 3x routine, is a great place to start. A lot of them can be found here.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above.
    For me full body is in line with my goals and is a perfect use of my limited gym time. I am currently bulking and doing full body training, my goals are to primarily grow the lower body, so it makes sense to hit the lower body 3-4x per week. However, my program is not self-designed, it is very strategic and allows for adequate work and recovery (ie I'm not just hammering the legs as hard as I can 4x per week!)
    In the end different things work for different people. I have done body part splits, upper/lower splits and full body. Full body is my winner winner chicken dinner ;)
  • damzie
    damzie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think full body workouts can be great at any stage, but are particularly appropriate for new lifters who need to gain all over muscle and strength. Splits can be helpful down the line when you are trying to focus in on particular and/or lagging muscle groups and have a stronger mind/muscle connection so that you can make the most out of isolation exercises.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am not sure when the "pre-roid" area was unless you are talking about in the 50's maybe. I think for the most part training body parts separately works best. Mixing up your days and routine is necessary, combining things like Chest and Traps, Back, Calves and Forearms etc.
    I think there is a place for full body routines and maybe once every other month you take 3 days out of your training week and do a full body to shock your system. Depends on your goal to be honest.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I cycle from full body for a few months, to isolation work. I love either workout and usually just mix it up to suit my time constraints.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    I am not sure when the "pre-roid" area was unless you are talking about in the 50's maybe. I think for the most part training body parts separately works best. Mixing up your days and routine is necessary, combining things like Chest and Traps, Back, Calves and Forearms etc.
    I think there is a place for full body routines and maybe once every other month you take 3 days out of your training week and do a full body to shock your system. Depends on your goal to be honest.

LOLZ for the day...thank you for that. Full body is great for just about anyone.... 3 days/week. MWF or TTHS...whatever works for you. It's a fairly simple principal Frequency/Volume/Recovery are all important.

• BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options

LOLZ for the day...thank you for that. Full body is great for just about anyone.... 3 days/week. MWF or TTHS...whatever works for you. It's a fairly simple principal Frequency/Volume/Recovery are all important.

Not quite sure whats funny about that. It all depends on what the person is trying to achieve to blindly saying its good for just about everyone is not correct. 3 days a week may not be enough for an individuals goals or it may be. It all depends on what they are trying to achieve.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    timmster97 wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot about how in the pre-roid era, the body builders would do full body workouts. I'm curious if anyone has had experience doing full body routines, and if so, are they good for building strength and muscle? Thanks in advance!

If you're a beginner, you're going to be better off with a full body program...the volume that a typical split involves is generally not appropriate for a beginner.

My coach/trainer trains a variety of high level athletes as well as Joe Schmoes like me...regardless of how advanced they are in their lifting, most of those athletes utilize full body programming as a split would take away from training for their sport. A full body program is great for fitness, athleticism, and yes...you can absolutely build a nice physique.

The only people I know who train in splits with him are body builders (or guys that want to look that way) and competitive power lifters. If you want to be a body builder or look like that then ultimately a split would be the way you would want to go down the road...I just wouldn't start there.
  • jmule24
    Options

Not quite sure whats funny about that. It all depends on what the person is trying to achieve to blindly saying its good for just about everyone is not correct. 3 days a week may not be enough for an individuals goals or it may be. It all depends on what they are trying to achieve.

Ok, if you're not using Vitamin S and don't plan on competing at a professional level body builder, then YES full body workouts are GREAT! Three days a week no matter the goal can be accomplished using the principles I outlined once a gain..... Volume/ Frequency / Recovery........ You do realize weight lifting is catabolic...right???
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    That is all i do are full body routines with compound lifts and accessories 3 times a week. Of course I throw a Bro day in for the 4th. It works. Many have said a whole lot here so I dont have much to add then personal experience. Most important is being consistent and tracking. You want to progress with your lifts on any program. Lots of luck!
  • jmule24
    Options
    That is all i do are full body routines with compound lifts and accessories 3 times a week. Of course I throw a Bro day in for the 4th. It works. Many have said a whole lot here so I dont have much to add then personal experience. Most important is being consistent and tracking. You want to progress with your lifts on any program. Lots of luck!

^^^ It's truly that simply!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I started off doing full body workouts and after some time - maybe a year or so - I started to do splits. Mainly because my focus changed to not overall health but to really focus on specific parts of my physique that I want to grow more, etc. I mean, I still work the whole body out, but for example, I want to grow my shoulders and lats more, so I focus more on that.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I did full body for a while with great success. As stated above, recovery can be an issue if you train too much. I worked out twice a week with great results doing something similar to dogg crapp training.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

^^^ It's truly that simply!

Exactly, the best programming, the program you actually do consistently. I am running SS, it works, fits my schedule. I got a job, active kids, so there have even been several weeks where things have come up and I've only worked out twice, but that's still a decent week because it's two hard full-body workouts.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ok, if you're not using Vitamin S and don't plan on competing at a professional level body builder, then YES full body workouts are GREAT! Three days a week no matter the goal can be accomplished using the principles I outlined once a gain..... Volume/ Frequency / Recovery........ You do realize weight lifting is catabolic...right???

Love this argument. Guy that actually has an impressive physique gets told how things are by a less than average joe who then implioes that he is celltekking (which automatically means you didn't work hard at all or make any sacrifices for that body) . Alrightty... I'll listen to the guy that has a physique I'd be proud of (if bodybuilding was my aspiration).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »

Love this argument. Guy that actually has an impressive physique gets told how things are by a less than average joe who then implioes that he is celltekking (which automatically means you didn't work hard at all or make any sacrifices for that body) . Alrightty... I'll listen to the guy that has a physique I'd be proud of (if bodybuilding was my aspiration).

Because there is a direct correlation between muscle size and knowledge? Have you seen mark rippetoe?
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Because there is a direct correlation between muscle size and knowledge? Have you seen mark rippetoe?

There is a direct correlation between muscle size and experience. I have read starting strength and practical programming- great books. Mark Ripptoe is very expericed in the weightroom and knowledgable. What's your point
  • jmule24
    Options

Did you even read what I wrote???? Lol. Thanks for assuming I'm an 'average joe' because I don't have the same physique as the guy who started the thread.

I wasn't insulting him, I was stating factual information about Jay Cutler. Also, I will stand by my statement that the MAJORITY of people on here are the average joe who would most definitely benefit from a lot of information that gets posted on these boards.

It's also the responsibility of the person to do their own research and decide what they feel is credible.