Wanting to gain muscle!

Options

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^Agree
    OP, figure out what kinda of training you will enjoy. Eat. Measure training progress and don't worry so much about the scale.
    If you can get a hold of a barbell, I hope you like it, it'll yield you gains.
  • TrainingSayian
    TrainingSayian Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: You are a classic "skinny fat" person. Your objective really should be body re-composition -- not weight loss or gain.

You need to lose fat and gain (or maintain muscle) by doing low rep heavy compound lifts (no hi rep/low wt stuff), eliminate any high endurance cardio and eat at maintenance (calculate your TDEE) w/in +/- 100 cal/day so that you do not gain weight using a macro of at least 35-40% protein, 35-40% carb and 20-30% fat.

Starting Strength (SS) or Stronglifts (SL) would be suitable weight lifting programs. They both focus on the Big 4 compound lifts -- bench press, deadlift, overhead press and squat. These are all of the lifts you need to do. No need to bother with any accessory or isolation lifts. Not even rows or power cleans also used by SL and SS, respectively. In fact, too much additional lifting, could be detrimental to your ability to do the basic 4 compound lifts. So, just focus on them.

You shouldn't even think about gaining weight until you get your BF down to at least 15%. Get a DXA scan or Hydrostatic test to best determine your BF level initially and every 3 months thereafter. Bioelectrical devices are basically worthless in terms of accuracy but can be useless to map trends. Calipers can be accurate if used by an experienced operator but there are very few people who can use them well.

You should shoot for at least 1g/lb of body weight in order to have enough available for muscle growth. IMO, the more protein the better; excess protein will convert to sugar and will be consumed as part of your normal energy needs as long as you are not eating at an excess It will NOT hurt you. You need protein for muscle development. Protein is also harder to digest, makes you feel full (so you'll eat less) and requires more energy to digest. The only caveat would be that the extra protein is useless if you are not doing any lifting to make use of it.

Below is a link to an article on how to address the skinny fat 'problem." There's some nonsense and hype in this article but there's good advice too. Just ignore the hype and follow the essential tips:

-- Learn to Diet Properly
    -- Focus on Heavy Compound Weight Lifting
    -- Cut Back on Cardio

See: https://www.muscleforlife.com/skinny-fat-solution/

Good luck!

I'm planing to start with the 5x5 lift program. I'm getting a lot of different versions for my goal some here say don't cut first just have a 3500 cal diet, then some say cut first. Haha so ima have to do a little trial and error to see what works best. I'm not really sure where or how to get an accurate reading on body fat index. I'm already starting a high protein diet either way shakes included.

• TrainingSayian
    Options
    Also I plan to do the 5x5 3 days a week not consecutive but would it overkill or pointless to put a arm day between them?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Also I plan to do the 5x5 3 days a week not consecutive but would it overkill or pointless to put a arm day between them?

If you really want to do extra arm work, then you may want to try ICF. It's a 5x5 (like Stronglifts), but with accessory work.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    Would it be more beneficial to add a leg day or is that gonna wreck me lol?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, positively, "no" to an additional leg day. You're squatting 3x per week, deadlifting 1x or 2x per week, depending on the week.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    Dually noted lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you really want to do accessories, you can, but I would think an arm day is fairly pointless. As Charles Poliquin says, if you want to add a pound of muscle to your arms, add 10 pounds to your whole body.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    Is there an alternative workout for the overhead press the bench setup at my gym is somewhat in closed so idk if it can actually fully or even half way extend the press.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you have a seated shoulder press rack, I use that for my presses, I just stand with a leg on either side of the seat. I am too tall to press in the rack.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you really want to do accessories, you can, but I would think an arm day is fairly pointless. As Charles Poliquin says, if you want to add a pound of muscle to your arms, add 10 pounds to your whole body.

Most power lifters have small arms and an underdeveloped upper chest compared to bodybuilders. If that's something OP cares about I would suggest adding in an arms day and an incline bench after bench press. I wouldn't say it's pointless at all. Actually, if OP cares a lot about aesthetics I would probably have him run a different program completely. Something from johnny candito or Mike Matthews perhaps.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Most power lifters have small arms and an underdeveloped upper chest compared to bodybuilders. If that's something OP cares about I would suggest adding in an arms day and an incline bench after bench press. I wouldn't say it's pointless at all. Actually, if OP cares a lot about aesthetics I would probably have him run a different program completely. Something from johnny candito or Mike Matthews perhaps.

Sorry. I probably shouldn't have said pointless. Probably have noted it wasn't a suggested it's not as important.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Sorry. I probably shouldn't have said pointless. Probably have noted it wasn't a suggested it's not as important.

Agreed. Compound lifting is pretty much always #1.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to the whole diet thing. But I exercise regularly. Right now I weight 152lbs at 5" 10 and I'm trying to get to 170lbs or close to it after research many say to cut first then gain. Which I have no problem with. Anyone have any suggestions for starting macro wise? Or any advice, also I do take whey protien after workouts.

Thanks in advance
    If you aren't gaining, it's because you're not in a surplus. Start there first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TrainingSayian
    Options

So I should something completely different from the strong lift 5x5? Lol there is much confusion here, no arm day, yes arm day.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

So I should something completely different from the strong lift 5x5? Lol there is much confusion here, no arm day, yes arm day.

SL 5x5 and SS are both strength programs. They are focused 100% on getting as strong as possible on deadlifts, squats, bench press and overhead press. Those are the lifts focused on by power lifters for competition. If that's what you want to do then I would highly recommend SS over SL 5x5.

If you want to get strong, and also develope a good physique at the same time, then those probably are not the best programs. You would do better on a program geared towards bodybuilding that still focuses on those big lifts but also doesn't neglect the upper chest, arms, abs and calves.

That's not to say you can't get a decent physique from SS or SL, but it wouldn't be symmetrical from a bodybuilding standpoint because certain areas would be neglected and underdeveloped.

All depends on your goals.
  • psuLemon
    Options

StrongLifts is a great program to start with.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    Yes I want to get stronger but get bigger and a better physique mostly. I figured the SL was a full body workout? Being a compound exercise. If it were between power lifter and bodybuilder I'd go path of body builder. With that said how far can the SL 5x5 benefit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Yes I want to get stronger but get bigger and a better physique mostly. I figured the SL was a full body workout? Being a compound exercise. If it were between power lifter and bodybuilder I'd go path of body builder. With that said how far can the SL 5x5 benefit.
    How long have you actually trained? If it's less than a year, SL is a great program to BUILD FOUNDATION. You can't build a sturdy house with a crappy foundation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• galgenstrick
    edited January 2017
    Options

Honestly I would pick a different program that focuses on those big lifts but also includes extra work for the lagging areas since you care a lot about aesthetics.

Johnny Candito had some free BB programs
    Bigger leaner stronger is pretty customizable
    The book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle has another great program.

All of those programs still focus on the compound lifts and progressive overload.

Next, I would buy the book Starting Strength no matter what you do just so you can learn the mechanics and proper form of the compound movements