Apple Cider Vinegar for FAT LOSS

Options
13»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Also, it appears everyone here is an expert and has doctor's degree in nutrition, exercise physiology and chemistry. Who would've thought. Still, I appreciate all the zeal from this group.

There are physiologists, chemists, Dietitians and other nutrition, fitness, medical and science professionals on this site...

But yeah, if you do a search on google scholar, you'll see that there are studies on ACV, but reading the conclusions should tell you that acv does has minuscule to no difference for weight loss. It's always CICO that is the clear winner.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Also, it appears everyone here is an expert and has doctor's degree in nutrition, exercise physiology and chemistry. Who would've thought. Still, I appreciate all the zeal from this group.

Not everyone, but many do and they are very helpful. Most are happy to share links to research and you will quickly learn who those people are. I just lurk and learn because my area of expertise is geology and has no relevance, even if we're talking rock hard abs.

My wife has a PHD in Exercise Physiology and a BS in Biochemistry, while I have a Masters in Civil Engineering. So we believe in science and getting the right information and doing our own research. It's not hard to see here those that don't value science based information. Thanks for the heads up.

Actually, I've been to few forums where science based information is valued more highly. I believe many people here would be very interested to see the science based evidence that ACV has any value at all in fat loss, if you have some. Peer reviewed, of course.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This month I have seen so many ACV threads. Like 10 times more than usual. What's up with that? Is there some sort of advertising blitz going on right now or what? :p
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Link to the study from the graphic in the OP. http://dx.doi.org/10.1271/bbb.90231

Pretty small, n=175. Claims to show significant weight loss in obese subjects compared to placebo. Study was in Japan, so obesity was determined by Japanese standards with BMI 25-30, mean BMI of study participants 27.2. Subjects randomized into 3 groups, placebo (n=58), low dose (150 mg/ml acetic acid, n=59), and high dose (300 mg/ml n=58). Placebo was lactic acid at 250 mg/ml to simulate the taste of vinegar. Subjects were given 500 ml of the test solution split into 2 doses. Subjects kept a diary of foods with macros analyzed by a standard software suite, and were asked to avoid drinking more than 25 ml of alcohol per day, and to avoid other vinegar-containing foods and drinks. 14 people dropped out before the study was complete.

They appeared to find some differences among the groups, with more fat and weight loss in the vinegar-taking groups to what may be a misleading amount of statistical significance given the small size of the groups and the fact that this is a single study only. It's a mistake to cite this study as if it were conclusive -- as that big YES in the graphic implies; it ought to be "maybe...?" -- but it's interesting and suggests more research should be done. But "maybe...?" doesn't sell vinegar, does it?

Incidentally, they seem to have chosen apple cider vinegar not for any particular properties, but because its flavor is favored among Japanese. Study authors make no claims for apple cider vinegar per se, just for acetic acid. You might as well just drink cheap white vinegar.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

Incidentally, they seem to have chosen apple cider vinegar not for any particular properties, but because its flavor is favored among Japanese. Study authors make no claims for apple cider vinegar per se, just for acetic acid. You might as well just drink cheap white vinegar.

Personally, I prefer the taste of white vinegar.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Not everyone, but many do and they are very helpful. Most are happy to share links to research and you will quickly learn who those people are. I just lurk and learn because my area of expertise is geology and has no relevance, even if we're talking rock hard abs.

My wife has a PHD in Exercise Physiology and a BS in Biochemistry, while I have a Masters in Civil Engineering. So we believe in science and getting the right information and doing our own research. It's not hard to see here those that don't value science based information. Thanks for the heads up.

There were a couple of us interested to know if you had read the study. You didn't respond, so it's hard to engage in a scientific discussion. It's interesting to me that you claim to be interested in the science and yet have been unwilling to engage in discussing said science, but rather sling mud at the community for not engaging in the discussion. Ironic, much?
    Yes. To be honest, I was super shocked by the responses, but I responded as soon as I could. I did read the study and like any study, it did lack some things to make it completely valid. Number of participants, hard to keep track of what the participants where eating, anyway, thebhumas is complex and we all react differently to certain things. Although it may not have any effect on anyone, due to their intake of the nutrients/components that ACV offers, it may help others. Anyway, I will try to respon faster and not be afraid of being kicked out for posting "another" ACV thread.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Link to the study from the graphic in the OP. http://dx.doi.org/10.1271/bbb.90231

Pretty small, n=175. Claims to show significant weight loss in obese subjects compared to placebo. Study was in Japan, so obesity was determined by Japanese standards with BMI 25-30, mean BMI of study participants 27.2. Subjects randomized into 3 groups, placebo (n=58), low dose (150 mg/ml acetic acid, n=59), and high dose (300 mg/ml n=58). Placebo was lactic acid at 250 mg/ml to simulate the taste of vinegar. Subjects were given 500 ml of the test solution split into 2 doses. Subjects kept a diary of foods with macros analyzed by a standard software suite, and were asked to avoid drinking more than 25 ml of alcohol per day, and to avoid other vinegar-containing foods and drinks. 14 people dropped out before the study was complete.

They appeared to find some differences among the groups, with more fat and weight loss in the vinegar-taking groups to what may be a misleading amount of statistical significance given the small size of the groups and the fact that this is a single study only. It's a mistake to cite this study as if it were conclusive -- as that big YES in the graphic implies; it ought to be "maybe...?" -- but it's interesting and suggests more research should be done. But "maybe...?" doesn't sell vinegar, does it?

Thank you! I was hoping more of these kind of responses. You're absolutely right about the study though, and like I said. Our body super more complex and one study is insufficient. There's almost always an agenda.
    But hey, next time, i will be careful what I post about and try to respond sonner.