So hungry on herbalife !!

Options

Replies

• cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    nickybow86 wrote: »
    That's guys . I have tried counting calories , weight watchers , slimming worls ect ... to no avail :( I have an addition to food (like most people on this) so this is a last resort to try help. I'm 5'9 and 215lb ! It's not as easy as " just log your calories" when I start eatting I don't stop !

the biggest part is eating the right food. If you gorge on vegetables you are not going to stay overweight :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Making yourself miserable isn't going to be beneficial to you in any way. You'll probably end up binging because your body is going to send you signals that it needs real nutrition.

Your best bet is to stop trying so many different things and commit to one legitimate & sustainable plan. Since you're on MFP use it. Log your food as accurately as possible, find some exercise you truly enjoy and profit.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Unless you want to drink Herbalife shakes and take their pills for the rest of your life, a program like this isn't sustainable in the long run. Let's assume you're able to stick with Herbalife and reach your goal weight. Then what? If you're like most, you'll go back to eating normal food and the scale will start to slowly creep back up.

Losing weight is only half the battle. The other half is maintaining a healthy weight and for that, you need a lifestyle change. Using MFP at the outset, as the others have suggested above, can provide you with the building blocks for that new lifestyle. By logging calories everyday, I can honestly say I've learned how to eat. I'm much more conscious of the foods I consume, I have a greater awareness of which foods are more satiating for me, which foods leave me hungry after an hour, which foods give me more energy, etc. All of this newfound knowledge will be essential for me once I reach my goal weight and transition to a life of maintenance. So yeah, I vote for ditching Herbalife, going through MFP's guided setup, and using a food scale to accurately weigh and log everything you eat.

And as someone much smarter (and greener) than me once said, "Do, or do not. There is no try."
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to drink Herbalife shakes and take their pills for the rest of your life, a program like this isn't sustainable in the long run. Let's assume you're able to stick with Herbalife and reach your goal weight. Then what? If you're like most, you'll go back to eating normal food and the scale will start to slowly creep back up.

Losing weight is only half the battle. The other half is maintaining a healthy weight and for that, you need a lifestyle change. Using MFP at the outset, as the others have suggested above, can provide you with the building blocks for that new lifestyle. By logging calories everyday, I can honestly say I've learned how to eat. I'm much more conscious of the foods I consume, I have a greater awareness of which foods are more satiating for me, which foods leave me hungry after an hour, which foods give me more energy, etc. All of this newfound knowledge will be essential for me once I reach my goal weight and transition to a life of maintenance. So yeah, I vote for ditching Herbalife, going through MFP's guided setup, and using a food scale to accurately weigh and log everything you eat.

And as someone much smarter (and greener) than me once said, "Do, or do not. There is no try."

truth of the matter is the even taking the pills and shakes won't keep the weight off...if you get this hungry you will eat more food eventually and gain it back.
  • abigail659
    abigail659 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Tips:
    1 - get off herbalife (I know everyone said this already, but had to say it again to provide my position on it)
    2- drink more water (gallon per day)
    3- get rid of all junk food and "Bad" food in your house (chips, soda's, candy, cakes, fried foods).
    4-go grocery shopping and only buy food that will nourish your body. Staples for me are: eggs, chicken, ground turkey, fish (tuna/salmon), veggies, fruit, almonds, yogurt.
    5- get rid of bad friends who don't support your goals or tempt you to eat bad.

Doing these things will help remove the temptation of overeating and if you do, it's on stuff that are good for you. I know cooking with new foods can be a challenge when you're used to eating out, having others prepare your food for you, or cooking unhealthy meals...BUT learning, studying and trying new (healthier) recipes will be the only way you will ever "get there". Side NOTE: Meal planning and prepping my meals for the week are a HUGE help to me. Not having to think about what I'm going to eat helps me stay on track. If I have to think, choose, or decide... I'm going to decide bad. So, I eliminate the in the moment decision when I decide healthy on Sunday's.

Good Luck! You can do this... you just have to convince yourself you can. That's the hardest part. :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

truth of the matter is the even taking the pills and shakes won't keep the weight off...if you get this hungry you will eat more food eventually and gain it back.

Well, of course. But seeing as that's the road OP is likely headed down at the moment, I didn't think it was necessary to restate the obvious. ;)
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    That's guys . I have tried counting calories , weight watchers , slimming worls ect ... to no avail :( I have an addition to food (like most people on this) so this is a last resort to try help. I'm 5'9 and 215lb ! It's not as easy as " just log your calories" when I start eatting I don't stop !

the biggest part is eating the right food. If you gorge on vegetables you are not going to stay overweight :)

OP, this can be helpful advice to help you feel full, but it's not a balanced, long-term solution.

I personally eat a lot of vegetables, but I also didn't want to face the rest of my life eating just vegetables.

There is no "wrong" or "right" food, and thinking of it that way isn't helpful.

What there is regarding certain foods concerns the appropriateness of the portion size for the food.

I can eat a pound of broccoli in a sitting, but it's not appropriate to eat a pound of caramels.

Yesterday, I had one caramel. I let it melt slowly in my mouth and savored every moment of eating it. It was 45 calories.

I also ate almost a half a pound of spinach.

Context and portion within your diet of certain foods is important.

OP, you'll learn all of this as you go along.

What GottaBurn is describing here is mindful eating. It can be a really good skill to practice and learn for those of us who eat in response to emotions rather than hunger or for fuel. When you eat sit down, turn off the TV, put the tablet away, focus on how good each bite tastes and how it feels. I don't know about you but I can eat a whole bowl or plate of something so fast, usually while reading or watching TV, that I didn't really even get any enjoyment out of the food. This is usually one of the factors that leads me to seeking out more food.

You got a lot of great advice from previous posters. Best of luck to you!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sometimes when we start a new way of eating, especially one that forces us to limit the amount we eat rather than what we eat, it can be hard to get motivated. It's easy to sit down to a much smaller meal than we're used to, and imagine the endless boring days of our lives stretching out before us with no joy in sight. While we're in that stage (it really is just a stage), it's hard to keep going. That stage is the "widow-maker" of any life change we ever decide to make.

But changing our way of eating tends to have a kind of momentum. It builds on itself, and soon the widow-maker stage is over and we learn how to find joy in our new lives ... the same way we learned to find joy in our old lives.

The problem with plans like Herbalife is this: it's not a way of eating. It's not a life change.

Herbalife steals your joy.

Agree with this. It's always hard in the beginning but if you bite the bullet...get yourself in the mindset....and stick it out for a week or two you'll see that it starts to get easier. Change is always hard. Forming new habits is hard. BUT...it's doable. Does that mean you'll never slip up? No! None of us is perfect. But it's true that once you get into the swing and start seeing/feeling a difference...you'll want to continue. It's just a matter of getting started. You CAN do this.

• acarpenter6
    acarpenter6 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was a wellness coach for a while last year. I drink the shakes because they taste good, and it's something quick I can have in the morning. I usually eat most of my calories at night, so having 900+ calories to eat for dinner and late night snacks is perfect for me. Plus, I like that I get all my vitamins and minerals just drinking the shakes.
    That being said, it's definitely not for everyone. I only drink the shakes and I hate the tea and tablets. You can lose just as much weight without drinking Herbalife as you can with it. If it's not working for you stop. But I would consult with your coach (the person who sold you product), and see if they can help you. A good coach will help you, even if you decide to stop consuming the products.
    Just my two cents (: