January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Just cut the cord off and duck tape the safety tab in there, I had a fidgety safety tab once that that solved it quite well.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have not run since Sunday. I did get my home project done but stayed home since this the last week home for my two college kids. My daughter left yesterday and I take my son to Milwaukee Sunday.

I'm planning on a short run tonight, a long trail run Saturday, and a medium trail run Sunday.

I have a half marathon in two weeks. I'm torn between changing my training schedule and doing a proper taper to maximize my performance, or just using it as a tempo run. After missing 16 miles of running this week I'm not too crazy about tapering right now, particularly since this race was an afterthought. It was cheap ($40), it's a great setup (you're inside pre & post race) and great swag (long sleeve Brooks tech shirt, "collector" mug, and admission to the St. Paul winter carnival events)

@RunsOnEspresso so sorry you can't run Sunday! Heartbreaking for sure.
    @OSUbuckeye906 It's not often a 4 week break from running is good news but this is certainly better than surgery and a longer break!
    @MobyCarp I'm glad to hear about taller runners having a slower cadence. I'm 6'5". If I focus on it, I can maintain 170 spm, but it's tough to get any higher. If I'm out for an easy run, I'm lucky to get 160 spm. After reading more about it, I'm convinced that the SPM is not the key issue it's made out to be. I believe the key issue is that you're not overstriding, and that a higher SPM is an outcome of not overstriding, if that makes sense. I now focus on getting my foot to land under my hips and not in front of me, and letting the SPM fall where it may.
    @MNLittleFinn good news!

2017 Races & Events (*registered and tentative)
    01/28/2017 - * Securian Winter Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    04/08/2017 - Zumbro 17M Trail Race - Theilman, MN
    04/29/2017 - * Chippewa 50K Trail Race - New Auburn, WI
    05/24/2017 - * Endless Summer Trail Running Series, 10K - Eagan, MN
    06/24/2017 - Dan Patch Days 5K - Savage, MN
    07/12/2017 - Endless Summer Trail Running Series, 7Mi - Eagan, MN
    07/19/2017 - * Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis, MN
    08/02/2017 - Endless Summer Trail Running Series - Bloomington, MN
    08/30/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN
    09/13/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN
    09/??/2017 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    09/27/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN
    10/07/2017 - * Big Woods Run Trail Half Marathon - Nerstrand, MN
    10/11/2017 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series - Bloomington, MN
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Azercord wrote: »
    @jahend08 Welcome and don't worry if you haven't found a dead body and you aren't walking then you are a runner. You'll get there in no time.

Surely only people walking with dogs are the body finders?

Joggers. Joggers find the bodies. So, if you don't find a body, you must not be a jogger - therefore, a runner!

true.

joggers or men walking dogs (never women)

I am constantly expecting to find bodies. Last year there was a guy sleeping rough in a tent on my route. I went past one day as the tent was just a big mound of stuff and I had to go and make sure he hadn't died in there. I'm still a mere runner.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @jahend08 Welcome and don't worry if you haven't found a dead body and you aren't walking then you are a runner. You'll get there in no time.

Surely only people walking with dogs are the body finders?

Joggers. Joggers find the bodies. So, if you don't find a body, you must not be a jogger - therefore, a runner!

true.

joggers or men walking dogs (never women)

I am constantly expecting to find bodies. Last year there was a guy sleeping rough in a tent on my route. I went past one day as the tent was just a big mound of stuff and I had to go and make sure he hadn't died in there. I'm still a mere runner.

Oh that reminds me, I did see a guy sleeping in a culvert on one of my runs this summer. Scared the crap out of me because it was early & I don't usually see homeless in that area. I am pretty sure he wasn't dead because he stirred a bit but didn't wake up.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all! I'm so sorry that you can't run the marathon! *hugs*
    Maybe you can drop down to a shorter distance and walk it, so that at least you get one of the medals?
    As for running another marathon in a few weeks when you are back at 100% health - I had a quick look, and there would already be one in two weeks; ARR Desert Marathon , or if you want more time to repeat a few weeks of your training plan, there's also the Phoenix marathon on the 25th February.
    Hal Higdon has an article with a few plans for postponing a marathon, maybe that could help you figure out what to do next? It would be such a shame not to run a marathon after all the hard training you did!

I saw the Desert Marathon. It's actually quite far from me.

I didn't see the Phoenix marathon but I am weary about them because I was signed up to do a half in their fall race a few years back. It was downtown and they had no parking. Everything was blocked off (even paid lots) and I couldn't find an open meter so I ended up going home & running on my own. I am going to look into this one & one I saw on Feb 19th. I *may* try to do one of those.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the toe nail loss info! I was worried it would hurt, but glad to hear that's not the case. Hopefully whatever happens does so before summer!! Lol

In regards to cadence, I'm 5'7" but my legs are long in proportion to my body. I have a 34" inseam in jeans which is longer than my 6'1" husband's which is 32". Lol My normal running cadence is in the low 180s on the road, 170s on trails. In a (road) race, my average increases to about 188.

I've been curious if there is a recommended / target stride length based on height or other factors.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)
    1/6: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/7: 4 miles (m)
    1/8: 6 miles (m)
    1/9: Rest Day
    1/10: 4.15 miles (m)
    1/11: Unplanned Rest
    1/12: 3.75 miles (m)
    1/13: 4.5 miles (m)

My Total/January: 44 miles
    Mike's Total: 44 miles

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - a quick summary of the last 400 posts.

people ran.

people didn't run

marathons were cancelled due to injury

other injured people recovered and started running again.

there's some fab lime green calf sleeves being modelled....which led to a frankly disgusting collection of conversations about rotting toenails.

@girlinahat - Thanks - I needed this! Running Challenge Cliff Notes! :laugh:
  • Run4theluvofit
    Run4theluvofit Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1/1 Rest
    1/2 1.6 miles
    1/3 2.71 miles
    1/4 Rest
    1/5 2.61 miles
    1/6 Rest
    1/7 5 miles
    1/8 Rest
    1/9 2.61 miles
    1/10 Rest
    1/11 Rest
    1/12 2.61 miles

17.1 / 45 miles

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6
    1/10 10 miles - 71.6
    1/11 5 miles - 76.6
    1/12 10.15 miles - 86.75
    1/13 5.25 miles - 92

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

A little rainy this morning but still warm. 5 easy recovery miles before work this morning.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Another random thought/question? Do any of you count strides toward your monthly distance total? I've never done strides, and will be starting them with my training. When I was adding my totals for the next 4-5 months I didn't count them. But it occurred to me that they are running. however, are they something that I would add to my mileage?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn any strides I do are part of a longer run captured by my Garmin, and are always included in my totals. I would guess that your plan has you do a warm up prior to any strides, which are also included in the total. I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't count strides as part of your monthly total.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn any strides I do are part of a longer run captured by my Garmin, and are always included in my totals. I would guess that your plan has you do a warm up prior to any strides, which are also included in the total. I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't count strides as part of your monthly total.

Here's a normal day with strides:
    Standard Warm up,
    4 miles + 4 Strides.
    Core routine.

So, I'm guessing I just run my 4, keep my garmin going and do my strides? LOL, I'm such a newb
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

So, I'm guessing I just run my 4, keep my garmin going and do my strides? LOL, I'm such a newb

Yep. I can't think of a situation where you would do strides independent from a longer run. Your legs need to be warmed up and loose.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Yep. I can't think of a situation where you would do strides independent from a longer run. Your legs need to be warmed up and loose.

That's what I was figuring. LOL, having a structured totally set up plan is interesting and new.

I can't wait for the next 2 weeks to go by so I can get going...though I may start a week early so I can fit either another long run, or stretch my taper to 3 weeks from 2....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

That's what I was figuring. LOL, having a structured totally set up plan is interesting and new.

I can't wait for the next 2 weeks to go by so I can get going...though I may start a week early so I can fit either another long run, or stretch my taper to 3 weeks from 2....

I always like to start my plan a week early. It gives you an extra week in case of illness or family emergency or something like that. You never know when you may need to take an unplanned cut back week. If I make it through to the end without using it, I just put in a moderate transition week into my taper.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I went to the expo to pick up my stuff, since I paid for it and all. Now all I want to do is run the marathon! Argh. I am totally stressing myself out over here. :p
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I always like to start my plan a week early. It gives you an extra week in case of illness or family emergency or something like that. You never know when you may need to take an unplanned cut back week. If I make it through to the end without using it, I just put in a moderate transition week into my taper.
    Thanks. I think I will probably do that. That gives me next week to get back into running, and then I'll start in on the plan on the 23rd.

The plan follows a M-Sun schedule, which I keep on mixing up. But as long as I remember that W is my hard workout, and Sat is my long run, I should be able to remember what day each plan week starts on.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km
    January 5 - 7.0 km
    January 6 - 3.8 km
    January 7 - 9.45 km
    January 8 - 9.8+6.0 km