January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Going on day 4 of no running and I feel like I'm going crazy. I just want to run :'( I had my MRI today and now I wait until Thursday to hear the verdict. Best case scenario: the stress fracture has already started to heal and I can start back to running with some slow, low mileage runs. Worst case scenario: I have a pretty bad stress fracture and will be in a boot (or crutches) and out of running 3-4 months. Most likely scenario: active stress fracture that will need 4-8 weeks rest. I'm preparing myself for the worst but hoping for the best.

In order to help preventing a fellow runner from a sidelining injury, I'm posting the following runner's knee exercises for @BeeerRunner . I'm posting them here in case others can benefit from them as well. Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, just sharing exercises that have benefited me in the past. If you are experiencing pain in your knee(s), go see your doctor ;)

It is my understanding (that was explained to me by my PT) that runner's knee is caused by the muscles you use to run becoming stronger than the other muscles in your leg, thus pulling on your knee cap and causing it to shift along with pain. Now, this may have just been an individualized explanation specific to my case. Additionally, these exercises may have been (probably were) picked to strengthen my specific muscles that were weak. The exercises below (there should be 8) were intended to strengthen the weaker muscles in order to balance things out. The exercises that involve a resistance band are supposed to be done standing on the leg of your injured knee. Also, sorry for the dirty paper...it's been hanging on the side of my fridge for 2+ years.

Now off to catch up on the rest of the thread.

tu300cdfuzv5.jpg
    vxfjqhhfhv21.jpg
    9ayr7i9yi8dg.jpg
    ob112fegnrro.jpg
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m. - This weeks goal is 55 miles.
    01.03.17 - 9.1 m. TM 6 M + 5K.
    01.05.17 - 9 m. TM w/ incline.
    01.06.17 - 10 m. TM. 9:10 pace.
    01.07.17 - 8.1 m. TM 5 M + 5K.
    01.08.17 - 8.8 m. incl 2x5K's.
    01.09.17 - 11 m. TM @ 8:35 pace. - This weeks goal is 60 miles.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 I know I'm a little late to the game in responding, but I think it's really unfair to advertise a running clinic the way they did and actually turn out to be more of an advanced running club. I'm really glad that they are refunding you the money. I also find it odd that they don't have other runners your pace that are interested in the same clinic. I wonder how many others have been in your situation as well.

@Orphia Congratulations on the 10k PR!

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @OSUBuckeye Thank you so much! Before I saw this, I did some of those hip exercises with the tubing tonight.

I hope you get good news from your MRI results. At least you can also swim in the meantime, but I know you just want to run. :smile:
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Love these monthly challenges!
    My January Goal: 30 miles!

1/7/17: 6 miles
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post my monthly challenge goal. After failing to meet my goal 2 months in a row, I am staying with the 50 mile goal for this month and at least one in outside per week.

1/1......rest day Happy New Year!
    1/2......6 miles...pace 12:30.
    1/3.....work
    1/4.....Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Classical stretch
    1/5......3.72 miles on treadmill @ 12:14 pace, average heart rate at 88% max.
    1/9.....3.87 miles on treadmill at 11:45 pace, average max heart rate st 85%.

Total...13.59
    Goal...50 miles
  • zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Morning non-functional check in. Achilles/calf feel about 90% today. Also, got referral for PT should hear from them by the end of the week. Go figure, I start feeling better and then get the referral. Still going to make thr appt when they contact me. I figure it's good to get checked out even if I'm feeling better.

Planning to try a 1-3 mile run tomorrow. Plan is if I feel any pain, I stop and walk. I'll be starting early enough that I could walk most of it and still be done on time. Hoping rest and icing has taken care of it, but we'll see. Seeing thr PT will be a big help I think.

go easy ...dont over do it ..i have had about 6 months of recurring issues because i started back too soon
  • zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I posted this on Facebook but haven't gotten much response yet. Maybe you all can help? And just to note, my appetite and energy level are back today. I'm still taking it easy but am doing some small stuff around the house. Only problem may be going back to work Tues-Fri.

I have been training since this summer for my first marathon next weekend. Last Saturday I came down with a cold which turned into a sinus infection on Wed night/Thurs morn. I have been trying to rest, eat, and hydrate. I still have a cough and some stuffiness. My energy level is low. I have difficulty breathing just walking around (yay ashtma). Do I skip the marathon? This would be my first year missing PF Changs since I started racing. So I'm feeling extremely sentimental. I am also a little sad that if I don't do it I miss out on making the giant 4 year metal (I have the first two, this would be #3). What are your thoughts?

I am just so torn as to what I should do. I want to do the marathon but if I'm not 100% and I can't finish it would be worse than not doing it. Argh!

please just take one day at a time, your health is more important, i have had to skip races and its painfull for sure but there will be more races and other challenges. this would be an easy week for you without hard training, you have done the work so just wait ....wait ...wait and you might feel 100% by the weekend
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906
    Have read your Runner's Knee post and looked at the diagrams. Thanks for posting this! And I hope your injury clears up soon.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I can't believe today is the 10th already. Beautiful run in 50F weather. I have to really go overboard when the weather is nice praising it and being thankful so that I have the right to *kitten* non-stop for the hot six months of the year. :wink:

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/10 - 4.1

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 - I pray it's the best news!
    @MobyCarp - love the delivery you got!
    @MNLittleFinn - saw you ran on Strava! How was the achilles?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    1/1 rest. Colds suck
    1/2- 5.23
    1/3- 4.03
    1/4- 4.01
    1/5- 5.0
    1/6- 4.0
    1/7- Rest calf/achilles pain
    1/8- recovery from calf/achilles pain
    1/9- rest/recovery from calf/achilles pain
    1/10- 2.01 YAY!

Total: 24.28

Monthly goal: stay healthy and continue base building to start marathon training at the end of the month.
    Nominal mileage goal: 140 miles.

today's notes: I decided to take a test run today, no HRM, no pace alerts, just running, no distractions so I could concentrate more on how my calf and achilles felt. Both felt pretty good, I'm feeling like they are like 90%.

One thing to note, I go WAY too fast when I'm not concentrating on my pace. First mile was 9:04, and second was 8:40. Good news, I guess, that my leg held up to those paces. More info I'll be able to give the PT I guess.

Also, I'm pretty much officially not going to meet my mileage goal for the month, Oh well, it was just a number, getting/staying healthy for when training starts on the 29th is the most important part.

@ddmom0811 Thanks for asking!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 That's great news about getting your money back!

@MNLittleFinn Glad to hear that your calf and achilles seem to be getting better, but I agree with @zipsterj in making sure you take it real easy...it can be all too simple to do a little too much too soon and cause bigger problems.

@OSUbuckeye906 I hope you get good news on Thursday. Thanks for listing those exercises; I recently bought some resistance bands for this very reason.

--

Today's run was the first of three days of back-to-back longer runs (for me), so I took it real slow and steady. The last thing I want to do is wake up tomorrow morning thinking "Well this ain't happening...today's run can just kiss my sweet little kitten".

01 - 5.21 miles
    02 - 5.60
    07 - 5.56
    08 - 5.60
    10 - 10.71

Total: 32.68 / 75
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Glad to hear that your calf and achilles seem to be getting better, but I agree with @zipsterj in making sure you take it real easy...it can be all too simple to do a little too much too soon and cause bigger problems.

Rodger that. It's going to be all easy running until I start marathon training, just enough to stay loose. Today was an aberration, I just have a real hard time going slow enough without a reminder. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt a longer run, but I'll set my pace alert and make sure to keep it in the slower end of the E range.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - Nice gear!! Is it typical to pre-order your jacket? I guess I thought I would get it at the expo. Will they be available there or should I not count on it? Also, I just now realized that this year's race falls on Easter weekend. I don't think that's going to go over too well with the family!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Morning gang!!! :smiley:

exercise.png

1/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    2/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    3/1: 3.52 kms (Wk1 D1 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 10 mins Squat Challenge + 5 mins Tabata HIIT
    4/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 7 mins HIIT
    5/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K – repeat) + 30 mins yoga + 14 mins HIIT
    6/1: 3.63 kms (Wk1 D3 C25K) + 30 mins yoga
    7/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 4 hours of cleaning (post paint job)
    8/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    9/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 2.5 hours of cleaning (post paint job) - Had to fast for a medical app't in the morning, so no usual workout
    10/1: 3.55 kms (Wk2 D1 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga