January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Today's experiment was the race hat from Winter Warrior. It is lighter than the last 2 years' race hats, and it turned out to work well on today's run. It was too warm to wear the Winter Warrior hat from 2015 or 2016:

jgw7lyzgzq30.jpg

Those hats are an awesome idea for Race swag - quite useful for winter running up here in Central New York...

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Awful day today, run usual 9 miles but it was all frozen and snowy, not typical conditions here and it was very slippery. I decided to run on gravel to avoid icy footpath but it was still not OK. Then run final 4 miles upwind, a damned chilly wind that killed me.

Now awaiting to take off, a million hours flying time, I'll try to rest as much as possible, my muscles are really tight, I really had to focus on my balance and run contracted. I thought about you guys in US where these conditions are more common and worst, respect to you!

Tomorrow I'll be in Tokyo in the evening, so forced rest days then I'll see what I'll do, I hope to be able to run a bit cause I'm planning to eat all Japan.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles
    1/3 - 0 miles
    1/4 - 3.5 miles
    1/5 - 3 miles
    1/6 - 4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles with Skip and Macy
    1/8 - rest day
    1/9 - 0 miles
    1/10 - 4 miles

22 of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp I'm loving the hats too, it's nice to have the lighter one for those not as cold days, love your shirt and jacket!
    @osubuckeye906 I'm glad you decided to get the MRI done, sending all good thoughts for the results. My PT has given me the same basic exercises to strengthen my hips. Thanks for posting these.
    @orphia make sure you post a link to interview when it's done, that is so cool.
    @7lenny7 have a safe trip taking the boy back to school, and get that project done LOL
    @ddmom0811 nice weather you are having! I like the idea of banking the complaining hours for the summer LOL
    @MNlittlefinn glad to hear you had a good test run!
    @nats2508 tiny steps are still forward steps, great job!
    @patrikc333 have a great and safe trip.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It looks, feels, and smells like spring outside :-o 60F and the wind is crazy. Thankfully I think the wind will die down for the afternoon a bit so I hope to run a little. I just wasn't willing to torture myself yesterday.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Looks like my compression sleeves should arrive today. Thinking another run, tomorrow, is it order, to try them out.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

@bmelb1 I would be livid, especially after your experience with the 10K running group. We have so many running groups around here and I have never heard of anything like that, whether it's a unofficial group or a store running it. Even when someone posts on our FB page they say "I'm going x miles at x pace and I won't wait" or "all paces welcome just post what your mileage will be and pace and someone will run with you". I'm so sorry for your experience. Please don't let that stop you from running outside, we all started somewhere.

Yup! @skippygirlsmom is right. here in Huntsville, AL, we have a large variety of groups in our Huntsville area. Everything from the official Fleet Feet training groups, Run For God groups, and so many unofficial groups that are frequently advertised on our WRH Facebook page. Even the random "hey I want to run 5 miles at the greenway this Saturday morning at 7am and I run about a 12min/mi pace, who wants to join me?".

Sorry it didn't go well for you @bmelb1 The store should refund your money for their leaders acting so irresponsible at the group run. It seems they are more interested in making a buck instead of encouraging the spirit of running.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for the group- What's the longest you will run in sub zero wind chills?
    I was hoping to do 16 today, which will take me about 2.5 hours, but I don't want to be stupid.
    A lady I was running with yesterday was telling me that she got severe frost bite on her legs doing a 20 miler, even through her thermal leggings.

So Saturday I was traveling back from Ft. Campbell on my way home back to Alabama. I woke up that morning with a sinus pressure headache and wasn't going to run 15 miles on strange roads that were still icy. So I waited till I got home. When I got home, I got the, "can you do this daddy" stuff and it wasn't until about 4:30 in the afternoon that I told everyone, I need to go run. It started out around 21 degrees and once the sun went down it got colder. have no idea how cold it got. About 3.5 miles into my run, my hands were freezing really bad and the cheap cotton gloves I got at Dollar Tree were not helping. Luckily the bathroom at the greenway was still open and I took a short stop. Put my gloves under the hand drier and they warmed up quickly. So much that I had no problems on my run after that. Made my entire 15 miles I planned to do. It helps to layer up properly. I posted some good videos on how to layer up a few months ago. I will post them again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze8ULiCumO0

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp which compression sleeves did you get/can you let me know how well they do? I've been looking for a pair.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I hope you have a speedy recovery to start your marathon training fresh.
    @Orphia congratulations on your run.

Sorry for the following rant but I really need to get this out of my system:
    After dropping down to the 5K running clinic Friday night, I joined the new group for the training run this morning and it went about as well as the 10K clinic Friday night. Everyone had taken the clinic before, two people joined our running group that were in the more advanced clinics, one of them was planning on running 17K today but decided to start out running with our group and continue on his own after. After 2 minutes of dynamic stretching,which was more than we did Friday night, everyone starting running at a fast pace, no warm up run, same as Friday night. Our group leader ran up front with the fastest 2 people and I was quickly left behind, after 1/4 km I felt like someone just sucked all the energy out of me as I watched everyone pull out way ahead of me. I couldn't run I just felt so deflated and upset that I turned around and walked back to the store and said I quit I want my money back, and I thought the advertisements for the clinics do not accurately reflect each clinic. The woman there tried to talk me into moving down to the learn to run clinic and then take the 5K clinic next round, similar to what I got talked into Friday night when they suggested I drop down to the 5K clinic and take the 10K next time. I told the woman I already did a learn to run program and I can run 5 km no problem, just not at the pace everyone else was running (on Friday my average pace was 11:37/km). They called me later this morning to try to convince me to reconsider and the woman on the phone admitted that the 5K clinic is an "advanced clinic", which I figured out on my own since these people were doing a 4km run in about 30 min and it's only the first week of the 10 week clinic. This is what the website says for this advanced 5K clinic "If you can currently run gently for 1 minute then you are ready". Ready my *kitten*, and apparently they are more than happy to drop you down to lower clinics and have you take more of them but not refund your money, I MAY get a partial store credit but they will have to discuss that with their head office. I guess it's buyer beware, if you ever decide to sign up for a running clinic with the Running Room consider yourself warned.

Are you sure your pace was 11:37/km, not 11:37/mi? 11:37/km (18:41/mi) is slower than most people's normal walking pace.
  • Run4theluvofit
    Run4theluvofit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1/1 Rest
    1/2 1.6 miles
    1/3 2.71 miles
    1/4 Rest
    1/5 2.61 miles
    1/6 Rest
    1/7 5 miles
    1/8 Rest
    1/9 2.61 miles
    1/10 2.6 miles

17.3 / 45 miles
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1/3: 3 miles
    1/4: 4 miles
    1/5: 2 miles
    1/6: 3 miles
    1/7-1/9: Down with flu like symptoms:(
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles
    01/05/17 - 6 miles
    01/07/17 - 10 miles
    01/08/17 - 3.25 miles
    01/10/17 - 6 miles

I am sick. My husband has been sick for the past 2 weeks, so it's about time I caught it, too. Whatever this bug is, it manifested as bronchitis for him, and seems to be an ears and sinus thing for me. He's been to the doctor, and they said it's probably viral, so no antibiotics - so I probably won't go to the doctor at all, either. Funny enough, I felt REALLY GOOD while I was running, even though I was miserable at work. Weird.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp - Nice gear!! Is it typical to pre-order your jacket? I guess I thought I would get it at the expo. Will they be available there or should I not count on it? Also, I just now realized that this year's race falls on Easter weekend. I don't think that's going to go over too well with the family!

I order online because I don't like shopping. I know people who pick up the jacket in Boston. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Son of a gun, that *is* Easter weekend! I guess I'll miss singing a nice anthem in church that Sunday. I'll also miss the last Friday and Monday of volunteer tax prep season, but I expected that because Patriots' Day always falls on or near Tax Day.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @MobyCarp which compression sleeves did you get/can you let me know how well they do? I've been looking for a pair.

I don't think you meant me; I haven't mentioned compression sleeves here and I haven't bought any. I did win a pair as a door prize in 2014: Adidas recovery calf sleeves, price tag says $30 (in 2014), size chart says measure calf at the widest point of calf muscle and L/XL says 14.5" to 18" calf. I've worn these a few times following major races like my first half and my first marathon. They seem to help.

My understanding is that there are also compression sleeves designed to wear while running. I don't own any of those.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    04/01 3.11 miles
    07/01 3.07 miles
    10/01 3.14 miles - running in the wind is so hard

url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w2z6Y99/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6
    1/10 10 miles - 71.6

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

It was warmer today at 44 degrees as opposed to yesterday's 21 degrees.