Is 1200 calories per day sustainable?

Options
So based on the numbers I entered for current weight and weight loss goal, MFP said I should eat 1200 calories a day. I find that is enough to get me through the day but I am always hungry in the evening. If I eat anything unhealthy - e.g. chocolate or wine then it puts me over that number. Just wondering if anyone started out with that number and were able to maintain it or if they broke down or had to adjust their goal.

Apparently for someone of my age, gender, height and weight I will maintain my weight at 1700 calories so I know I need to be below that to lose weight.

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How can we know if you dont post stats? Sounds fishy to me though unless you are like a midget.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    People do eat 1200. You can and should do a little exercise to eat more.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variables. How much do you have to lose? What are your stats? Activity level? As an older female I started out with 1200, sedentary (is was winter and I was kind of being a slug), and added a strenuous hiking, snowshoeing, and skiing routine. I typically ate back some of my exercise calories, not all because I thought the numbers were way too high. I reached my goal mid summer, adjusted that down more and am now down 60 pounds overall. I did change my activity level over the summer so I could up my calories a bit. My maintenance if I don't do anything is 1440 or so. I continue to exercise a lot so I can eat more and so I feel good. If you want some extra calories for that wine or chocolate, move more.
  • purrrmeowww
    purrrmeowww Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 29, female, started at 122, want to be 110 (what I used to weigh at 20 yrs old), 5'3

I wanted to lose the weight by March, started end of December
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry in the evening then you are not eating enough during the day.
    I eat at 1200 at 61 years age, almost 62 yrs old in February.
    To lose weight I eat 1200, strength train and do HIIT. To maintain weight I have to drop to 1000 calories and at least walk daily.
    If I have my wine or chocolate and follow either my maintenance or weight loss calories, I will slowly gain weight if I do not exercise.
    When I'm at 1200 and I incorporate my wine or dessert into my daily plan, I can still lose weight as long as I'm exercising doing both strength and HIIT.

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    We are years apart but yes I agree with the posters, pick a reasonable attainable goal. My goal is 1/4 pd a week, which gives me a 1 pd loss per month. 5 years ago I wanted it to be 1 lb pd a week.
    So for me 1/4 pd per week is fine for my goals and with the life style I have learned that makes me happy.
    I've been here since 2012, and learned that you need to find what fits for you with all the real life stuff (death, injuries, managing stress, having happy relationships, etc) that goes on in our life, too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am 29, female, started at 122, want to be 110 (what I used to weigh at 20 yrs old), 5'3

I wanted to lose the weight by March, started end of December

Set your goal for .5 lb a week instead of 1 lb a week. If you exercise log it and eat some of the exercise calories.
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My advice would be to spread your calories out more, if 1200 is your goal break that up so you have 400 calories per meal. Pushing your dinner time back a little bit may help too that way there's less time to be hungry between when you eat and when you go to bed. My last piece of advice will no doubt cause people to go apoplectic, but I stand by it (and will not argue it or discuss it) 30 minutes BEFORE dinner take a shot of apple cider vinegar. I use a standard shot glass myself and do it just as I start cooking followed by a full glass of water. Give that a try for a week and see how you feel.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'd also recommend eating a bit more, and taking it more slowly.

Yes, this is because you have so little to loose. There's a limit to how much fat your body can metabolize daily. The research is a little ambiguous, but it seems to be no more than 30-some calories per pound of body fat per day. Beyond that, and perhaps even approaching that, your odds of burning lean tissue - of unnecessarily burning difficult to re-gain muscle, for example - are increased. You don't want that.

So, set your goal to 0.5 pound loss per week, and monitor your weight carefully. If you're losing much more than that weekly (on average), eat even a bit more.

The hunger question is separate, IMO. Satiation is a very individual thing.

For satiation, it can help to experiment with the timing and composition of your eating.

By timing, I mean how many meals/snacks daily, and what relative size each is. Some people do best with 3 even meals, some with 6 small meals, some do intermittent fasting and eat one big meal daily, or endless other variations. Some people need a big breakfast, while others feel fuller overall if they skip breakfast and eat those calories later in the day. Some people need to save calories for an evening snack. And so forth . . . .

By composition, I mean which macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) you emphasize, while keeping all in a healthy range, and also how much of high-volume/low-cal foods (usually fiber-containing veggies) you eat. Here again, people vary. Some find protein filling, some prefer fat. Some people do best if they eat complex carbs (grains, potatoes), others find carbs cause them to crave more carbs. Some don't feel full unless they eat high volume foods, like fiber-containing veggies in good quantities.

So, for satiation, try experimenting with a different eating schedule or composition for a couple of days. If it works better, keep it. If it works the same or worse, try something else, and repeat until you find what works best for you.

It may also help to pay attention to the influence of other factors that can affect appetite/cravings: Sleep, stress, boredom, hydration, exercise, etc.

I'm not dramatically bigger than you (5'5", 120s, but maintaining). When I got to 10-15 pounds above goal, I cut my loss rate to 0.5lb/week, and found it helpful. I personally do best with a big breakfast that includes protein, and plenty of protein through the day, and a good lot of veggies. Your specifics will vary, but the general experimental approach to finding what works for you should work about the same.

ETA: I was at 1200 net calories only briefly, eating back all exercise, when I weighed 150-something. It was way too little, I lost too fast and was fatigued, so I adjusted as soon as I realized that. I could lose handily at 1400+, and I'm 61 years old. That doesn't work for everyone my age . . . but do pay attention to your personal loss rate.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am also currently at 122 and I plan to stay at a .5 pound a week loss rate until I get to 120. I am older than you are (37 years old) so in theory you burn more than I do at the same weight and I net 1250. I exercise quite a bit because I want to eat much more than 1250 calories worth of food in a day. In your place, I'd try to net 1300 and I'd exercise enough to burn 200 or so calories a day. Doing that, you should be able to eat a comfortable amount and it should be sustainable.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Choose a lot of foods that are worth the calories, it's much easier to do this eating spinach, kale, collard greens, red and green peppers , then select lean meats for your protein. I'm never hungry and so it's doable for me.
    I'm 5'1" and so am short.......
    Many ppl who aren't tall are given 1200 calories a day. You could ask for friends with open diaries on the 1200 calories and check out what they eat on a daily basis.
    One more thing, if you like fish, it's even easier to manage your calorie allotment. GL
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    For me personally I couldn't get by on 1200, I'd rather really ramp up my exercise and eat more. But it's all very much a personal thing. Don't try and rush things and if you find that 1200 is leaving you weak/tired etc then try and up it a little bit. It's trial and error :smile:
  • purrrmeowww
    purrrmeowww Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments everyone!
  • JKinHalfMoonBay
    JKinHalfMoonBay Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm about your size though a bit older (5'4" and 49 yrs old) for me, 1200 a day it was doable to get me from 129 to 117, which took about 3 months. Personally, I don't think it's wise in the long term to be that calorie restrictive because it's very difficult to get one's daily recommended values of important nutrients. For a few months, I see no problem. See how you do on 1200 and if it's not working, add 100 a day until you find the magic number. Good luck!!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 0.5#/wk. It will take a little longer but you will have better body composition (lower %body fat) at the end. Totally worth it.