Mile Time

Calling the runners community! I am not a runner by any means, and cardio is a definite struggle for me! I have to decrease my mile time by August, and I am not sure what the best route to take would be. Any advise/suggestions?
My current time is about a 10 even, sometimes just under. I need to be an even 9 or below.

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    10 is really good average imo...how far you planning on running? I found with time and more miles and speed sprints have helped me
  • Becb1980
    Becb1980 Posts: 12 Member
    My shorter runs i.e. 5k I run an average of 9.14 and my longer runs i.e. 10k is about 9.30 ish. I once read that if you try to run your shorter distance faster it will help increase your distance but going off my own experience, I got faster the fitter I got..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I have to decrease my mile time by August.

I'm assuming that this is for a fitness test?

What is the structure of the test?

Generally I'd advise working towards 5K as a reasonable way to prepare for it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Becb1980 wrote: »
    My shorter runs i.e. 5k I run an average of 9.14 and my longer runs i.e. 10k is about 9.30 ish. I once read that if you try to run your shorter distance faster it will help increase your distance but going off my own experience, I got faster the fitter I got..

You've got the the wrong way round, to get faster, run farther.
  • Becb1980
    Becb1980 Posts: 12 Member

Nope.. didn't get anything the wrong way round. Like I said "my own experience"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Nope.. didn't get anything the wrong way round. Like I said "my own experience"

No, what you said you read is the wrong way round...
  • MeanderingMammal
    I once read that if you try to run your shorter distance faster it will help increase your distance

Whatever you read was inaccurate. For new runners most improvement in place is generally associated with increased running volume; longer individual sessions and more frequent sessions. There is a point of diminishing returns though; HM is where I found that place improvements eased off.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Run more miles at a very easy pace, building the volume will build your base cardio level higher and allow you to run faster on the short run. Throw in about 20% or less in random speed or hill work per week. I carved 15:30 off of my 5K time in the last year doing this and ran a treadmill mile in 7:50 the last time I tested myself. I now find that I enjoy running, something I thought was impossible when I first started.
  • _blondevsworld
    _blondevsworld Posts: 6 Member
    I have to decrease my mile time by August.

I'm assuming that this is for a fitness test?

What is the structure of the test?

Generally I'd advise working towards 5K as a reasonable way to prepare for it.

It is! The test is just to run the mile as fast as you can, and it has to be in 9:00 or less!
  • _blondevsworld
    10 is really good average imo...how far you planning on running? I found with time and more miles and speed sprints have helped me

It is only 1 mile, we just have to run it as fast as we can and it has to be in 9:00 or less!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Don't play, mine is like 14-15 minutes. I am not in any way, shape, or form built to be a runner (or jumper) though. I have short thick legs so I'm the world's slowest runner, but I can squat a lot
  • _blondevsworld
    Don't play, mine is like 14-15 minutes. I am not in any way, shape, or form built to be a runner (or jumper) though. I have short thick legs so I'm the world's slowest runner, but I can squat a lot

I'm having he exact same problem
  • MeanderingMammal

It is only 1 mile, we just have to run it as fast as we can and it has to be in 9:00 or less!

Thanks. I also have to do annual testing, and generally pass in the target age range for up to 25 yo.

I'd just reiterate the point above about training for 5K. As a new rubber the best way to get faster is to run more, and 5K is a half hour workout. 9 minutes is pretty generous for testing, so well within reach.

When you're trying your also want to warm up for a mile, so that gives you that capacity.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    I found interval training increased my speed fastest. I usually do it on the treadmill. 3 minutes at a steady pace, like 6mph, then increase to a sprint (right now 7.5mph for me) for 1 min. Add incline for more challenge. Repeat for 25-30 min, 2-3x a week. If you can't sprint for 1 min, work up to it. (You can also do this on a track. I recommend an interval timer to signal when to change speeds). Then when you run outside push yourself to go a little faster then your last time. Over time you will find your speed overall will increase.

Good luck!
  • _blondevsworld

Thanks. I also have to do annual testing, and generally pass in the target age range for up to 25 yo.

I'd just reiterate the point above about training for 5K. As a new rubber the best way to get faster is to run more, and 5K is a half hour workout. 9 minutes is pretty generous for testing, so well within reach.

When you're trying your also want to warm up for a mile, so that gives you that capacity.

Thank you for all your help!! :)
  • _blondevsworld
    darbunk wrote: »
    I found interval training increased my speed fastest. I usually do it on the treadmill. 3 minutes at a steady pace, like 6mph, then increase to a sprint (right now 7.5mph for me) for 1 min. Add incline for more challenge. Repeat for 25-30 min, 2-3x a week. If you can't sprint for 1 min, work up to it. (You can also do this on a track. I recommend an interval timer to signal when to change speeds). Then when you run outside push yourself to go a little faster then your last time. Over time you will find your speed overall will increase.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!! :)
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    I was advised to read the book 'The Art of Running Faster' by Julian Goater and Don Melvin, interesting stuff.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

That's pretty much all that needs said on this subject. The best way to get better at anything, is to do more of it*.

*Excluding no-parachute skydiving, suicide bombing, rock-diving.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    You don't say how frequently or what distance you're able to run now but the general rule is that you need to run farther and with a consistent frequency to build your aerobic capacity. The good news is that while building your aerobic base most of your runs will actually be quite slow with a little speed work thrown in once a week or so. (Speed work can be everyone's favourite, running hills or if you have access to a track 400m repeats)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I agree with run farther. I'm slow but have done one 8 minute mile, warmed up and went as fast as I could and that was it, I was about to puke. Wish I could string together even 11 minute miles, but I cant.

So run longer distances, till a mile feels shorter to you, and your one-mile time will be faster.