Bad tasting, healthy food.

Options

Replies

• cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    I must say I'm shocked at the number of people who don't want to eat healthy and eat better food, they just want to lose weight :(

Why shocked each to their own
    Also you find most people are saying they eat fast food but in moderation what's wrong with that
    I must say I'm shocked at the number of people who don't want to eat healthy and eat better food, they just want to lose weight :(

Also you find most people are saying they eat fast food but in moderation what's wrong with that

I'm shocked that people are more concerned with how they look or appear than be concerned with actual healthy eating to get to a healthy weight and stay there.

Lol .
    I am shocked a 15 year old killed a 7 year old this week, now that was beyond shocking
    Now I lost my weight purely for a holiday. I wasn't thinking about health so what?
    But I exercised each day and watched what I ate. So I wasn't concerned about health at all but weight is still off and I am healthy.

Just because people say they are eating fast food doesn't mean it's all day everyday

Well yes i realize that! I am just surprised at anyone who eats fast food on a regular basis. You lost weight for a holiday, why not do it for a healthy life instead? Just curious, you don't have to answer.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why is that shocking?

I went to my Dr about the time I hit my peak weight and there were a few issues.

So I focused on losing weight ... and did.

4 months later, I returned to my Dr who reran the tests. Those issues were resolved.

How did I lose the weight? I ate fewer calories than I burned. How did I manage that? Well, I sought out low calorie but filling foods ... like lots of veggies. But of course I didn't give up things like pizza! :)

Why is that shocking?

I went to my Dr about the time I hit my peak weight and there were a few issues.

4 months later, I returned to my Dr who reran the tests. Those issues were resolved.

How did I lose the weight? I ate fewer calories than I burned. How did I manage that? Well, I sought out low calorie but filling foods ... like lots of veggies. But of course I didn't give up things like pizza! :)

It's shocking to me because i just assumed most people lose weight because of health reasons or concerns but i guess it is just my old age showing here! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Why is that shocking?

Why is that shocking?

It's shocking to me because i just assumed most people lose weight because of health reasons or concerns but i guess it is just my old age showing here! :)

My main reason for losing weight was so that I could cycle up hills.

I used to be an avid long distance cyclist in my late 20s, through my 30s, and into my early 40s. Then life happened, I didn't cycle quite as much and I gained a bit of weight. Then we moved to a very hilly area. At first, I figured that was that for my long distance cycling. But then (2 years ago) I thought ... I'm only 48 years old. I should still be able to be a long distance cyclist. But my weight was slowing me up on the hills.

So I lost the weight in 2015, and got back into long distance cycling in 2016. :grin:

I also lost weight so I could fit in a particular cycling jacket again. It's rain jacket and they do tend to be a bit expensive. It had "shrunk" and so I figured I'd just buy another one, but the price had gone up. So then I figured that losing weight would be the less expensive option.

And sure, as I mentioned, my Dr did note a few minor health issues, but she and I both figured simply losing weight would resolve those and it did. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

I'm shocked that people are more concerned with how they look or appear than be concerned with actual healthy eating to get to a healthy weight and stay there.

Lol .
    I am shocked a 15 year old killed a 7 year old this week, now that was beyond shocking
    Now I lost my weight purely for a holiday. I wasn't thinking about health so what?
    But I exercised each day and watched what I ate. So I wasn't concerned about health at all but weight is still off and I am healthy.

Just because people say they are eating fast food doesn't mean it's all day everyday

Well yes i realize that! I am just surprised at anyone who eats fast food on a regular basis. You lost weight for a holiday, why not do it for a healthy life instead? Just curious, you don't have to answer.

3 mums together and i didnt want to be the biggest out of the three
    I eat fast food still just not 3/4 days a week
    i am not surprised re the vanity thing, but what hopefully happens along the way (what happened to me) is you realise all the health benefits in losing weight too.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Why is that shocking?

Why is that shocking?

we can still look and want to be hot and be old. my young cousin keeps telling me i look younger since i lost weight
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Taste chances over time. I used to love a fair few of those highly processed junk foods - A few times I tried them again Having really looked forward to them. However they did not taste at all as I remembered, they tasted lousy, chemical and incredibly sweet and salty.
    So either my memory was wrongor my taste changed - I think it was a little of both
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Taste chances over time. I used to love a fair few of those highly processed junk foods - A few times I tried them again Having really looked forward to them. However they did not taste at all as I remembered, they tasted lousy, chemical and incredibly sweet and salty.
    So either my memory was wrongor my taste changed - I think it was a little of both

i must admit mcdonalds doesnt taste as good as it used to. but then i guess i used to eat so mindlessly i prob couldnt taste what i was eating.
    Now and then i do go back and try foods that i hated but i still hate them. i.e olives, avocados, celery, cottage cheese etc.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP, I know how you feel. Before and during my weight loss, I craved the unhealthier things. Mostly pre-packaged, frozen pre-fried meats, french fries, pretty much all the beige foods you can imagine down the freezer isle. Not to mention the sweeter things, there, too. It wasn't until after my weight loss when I realized I needed to change my eating habits big time if I wanted this to last. My palate eventually adjusted to the healthier foods. From time to time I will still have fried foods, ice cream, and the 'unhealthier' foods of that nature. There is nothing wrong with it. It keeps us sane. But, if you're eating right 80% of the time, it works out. And, eating those things become more of a treat or an occasion rather than just the normal everyday thing. I also learned to cook more dishes at home, and that has become an interest/hobby for me now.

By eating 'right' or 'healthier' now for me is lean, raw/unbreaded or uncooked meats (chicken, fish, lean beef/pork, etc), lots of veggies (especially peppers, mushrooms, onions for spicing up dishes, green beans, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc for sides), salads, eggs, less bread when making a sandwich (open faced or half size with 1 slice), yogurt, the right size of pasta, salads galore (I used to hate salad!), stews/roasts/chili. All home made, way less calories than pre-packaged food, and extremely more nutritional. :)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

I haven't read all the comments, but I'm sure someone else has pointed out that only calories matter with weight loss. You can eat whatever kind of food you want as long as you watch your calories.

Nutrition is another subject. I eat healthy food that tastes good and I don't spend a lot of money. For example, I eat a lot of lentils and they only cost $1 a bag and make 3 meals. I eat them for the protein, because they are nutritious, and I also like eating them, but they also happen to be inexpensive.

There is no reason to eat bad tasting food of any kind, unless you are in a war zone and have no choice.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    OP: Considering the epiphany you've had about cheap food being high calorie and low nutrient, you might enjoy and benefit from reading Michael Pollan. Look him up...

Community: If anyone wants to argue over Pollan and his viewpoints, go ahead. I'm not here to convince anyone, nor will I engage in any debate. Knock yourself out...
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Lol .

At my age (64) looking "hot" is not a top priority. However, If getting the weight off and getting healthy as a side affect of looking at least "warmer" I won't complain.

I don't eat a lot of fast food nor do I even eat meals at a nice restaurant. Not because they can't fit in to my calorie goals but simply because of a health reason. I have HBP and if I eat anything too high in sodium it shoots my blood pressure up and my ankles swell up(hugely). If it wasn't for those reasons I would try to fit restaurant food in more often.

Life is meant to be enjoyable and I find it enjoyable to on the spur of the moment to go pickup my favorite fast food come home and watch a movie...try out a new restaurant...eat something that is totally different than what I might cook at home. It is also enjoyable to give myself a break from the kitchen since about 90% of what I eat has to be made from scratch. There are days that seem as if all I do is exercise...cook...clean up the kitchen.

People taking pride in their appearance and bodies is not a crime. If I was healthy and younger...I'd be right there with them. Nothing wrong with looking in the mirror and liking what you see.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Well, if they think or tell themselves that eating healthfully means bad tasting food and never having their favorites again, it doesn't seem so surprising, does it?

Also, as amusedmonkey mentioned in another thread recently, if they didn't give a fig for health/eating healthfully before dieting, why would dieting change that.

Personally, however, I find that most people I interact with on MFP/in general do want to eat healthfully, and I certainly do (and did when I was fat, although I knew overeating was contrary to the benefits of my generally nutrient-rich diet). IMO, a healthful diet isn't the least bit bad tasting; for me it's far more delicious than a diet based on fast food or whatever (if you do like fast food you can include some within a healthful diet, though).

On the other hand, while I love pretty much all vegetables (if cooked properly), I loath tuna salad and don't think I need to eat it to have a healthful diet. (That's a matter of taste, not nutrition.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Fast food is cheap and the industry knows about food addictions, they base their food on those addiction, such as salty sweet, salty savory (the bacon craze), sweet and gooey, etc. I dont think good food tastes bad, we just need to adjust our habits and eventually when you see a Carls Jr commercial you can recognize how awfully unhealthy they are. I eat a lot of tuna, it is one of my staples. bad food is an aquired taste as is healthy food.

But...but...I cook some things that are salty and sweet...a lot of salty and savory (I use turkey bacon so maybe that saves me) and sweet and gooey are some of my favorite things to make (just not too often). Does that mean that my cooking is making me addicted?

I eat out maybe once a month. The rest of my food is cooked at home. If I try a new recipe and it is "just okay" I don't make it again. I have to "love" my food or why bother going to the expense and the time to cook a meal?

Tonight I had curried chicken over rice with roasted broccoli. It was so good I could eat another serving...except I am saving it for lunch tomorrow.

BTW What flavor would you have restaurant base their food on? Should they make it taste horrible just so that people don't overeat?

Heh, all of this.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Why is that shocking?

Why is that shocking?

Why would you think this?

I was thin for years and ate an almost neurotically healthy diet, but was extremely unhealthy in other ways.

Then I was fat yet continued eating healthfully (well, except for the major problem of overeating). I knew vaguely that of course it wasn't good for my health, but my lifestyle was in other ways less unhealthy than it had been so I figured I would get it together eventually. Plus, I never had any health issues related to weight -- my doctor mentioned it was a risk factor, of course, but my tests were always good.

Eventually I got disgusted with how I looked in a photo and with the clothing options available to me and was just generally unhappy with my appearance and wanted to get back into running and biking, so decided to lose.

If I'd waited 'til the health thing was enough to motivate me, I'd have put it off much longer. Obviously if someone has bad tests, that's more motivating, but often just losing weight improves health a lot (and my healthy diet didn't make being fat okay for my health).

Oh, and I've been losing more or planning to lose more despite being well within a healthy weight for a good bit of my time here, as are many others, so probably that's not really for "health" either. (For me it's because of wanting to run faster and be more fit for athletic stuff, and because of what I think looks good for me, and plus I like vintage clothes.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    OP: Considering the epiphany you've had about cheap food being high calorie and low nutrient, you might enjoy and benefit from reading Michael Pollan. Look him up...

Community: If anyone wants to argue over Pollan and his viewpoints, go ahead. I'm not here to convince anyone, nor will I engage in any debate. Knock yourself out...

@vikinglander I'm a huge fan of Michael Pollan :)The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals changed my life.

Need to reread In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

These books are available in my library system, so if other posters are interested, they may find them at their libraries as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

When I was new to the forums, I thought this is what a lot of posters were saying as well. However, if you stick around you will realize that no one is actually advocating 100% junk. Most people who say only calories matter for weight loss also go on to say that what you eat matters for satiety, health, nutrition, etc. Sometimes people give a short response because they have answered the same question hundreds of times, but if you have read their other posts you will have context for their complete views.