Low Carb Lifestyle?? Yay? Or Nay?? Did you have success?

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I don't fear carbs. I fear foods that can make you sick or ill or make you die. Ground beef (e coli); fish (mercury); dairy (just not into cholesterol).

I would like to eat foods that fill me up but not in calories. As I read, some here don't do well with carbs, some do.

For me, eating a low fat diet works, and I am trying to make it a lifestyle.

I do find that products low in fat by weight usually has high sodium (as well as other things).

I would say to go and find comparable products (bring a calculator) and compare calories from a "regular" product and a "low carb" product.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/ezekial-4.9/bread/

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/food-for-life/low-carbohydrate-savory-herb-bread/

What the label doesn't tell you in the "low carb" version of the bread is the weight in grams, only 1 slice. So next time you are at the market, compare the two and see if the serving size is the same as well.

Food for thought.

1. Cook groundbeef to lower the risk.
    2. Don't eat solid white albacore tuna and don't eat more than 5 cans a week.
    3. You can help lower your LDL cholesterol by consuming Omega 3's, Vitamin E, Green Tea, Garlic, Soy Protein and other foods/vitamins.

Your body needs fat. Fats are required to produce and build new cells. They are a source of energy and are critical in the transmission of nerve impulses and brain function and development. They are also involved in the synthesis of other essential molecules such as hormones. Fat gives you sanity, satiety, and among other things...libido.

You should be eating .35g-.75g of fat per lb of bodyweight.
  • mamawof5
    mamawof5 Posts: 2
    Options
    I started a Dr recommended low carb diet. It was monitored monthly, but after 3 months was advised to go off. Yes, I lost weight and yes, I lost it fast. But its extremely hard on your body. You will spend many hours in the bathroom and could possibly have trouble with losing your hair. This is probably not typical for everyone but is what happened in my case. Good luck making your decision :) You have to find what is best for you (and healthy)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Look at the people around you(weight and health) that are eating the high carb diet that is pushed at us. There is nothing wrong with low carb . Heck cut carb to half of what is pushed an you will be better off for it.

How low are you tailking? 20g, 50g, <100g?

I hang around 70g/day and i don't have cravings for any carbs. Anyone that says it's not maintainable of full of you know what. It is not unhealthy. The high carb is has a good chance of causing problems.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Carb Cycling and Keto diets are VERY effective.

Carb Cycling is more with weight training, but it's basically dependant on your training days and what you do. On heavy training days I eat high carbs (2 days a week), Lower intensity days I eat medium carbs (2 days a week), and then I eat very low carbs the other 3 days.

Keto dieters normally eat under 20g-30g of carbs 6 days out of the week, enter ketostis and then they have a refeed day on the 7th day in which they eat high carbs. Then they go back to eating very low again the next day. It's proven to work VERY well depending on your goals. There are some people who can't do it for health reasons or they get sick. Some can though and swear by it.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Are there somethings I use to eat that I miss? Sure, but I enjoy being almost 100lbs lighter more.

There are few topics that start more debate than low-carb lifestyle questions! Just reading to learn more, but that quote has to be the best so far! :wink:

LOL... Thanks. :D
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I hate the 'everything in moderation' approach. If you know something is crap for your body, why eat it? And what is moderation? Once a day, once a week, once a month?

But complex carbs aren't crap for your body. They are fuel. Simple carbs maybe but then they still CAN form part of a healthy diet.
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    And Ketosis can be dangerous, there is no point just going "it's just making the body burn fat rather than carbs" it's HOW it does that. It's all well and good doing it, having great results, well done. Don't kid yourself that it's without risk. Ketosis is considered an "unhealthy metabolic state" which is why in large the medical profession don't think it's a great idea. And just because your doctor thinks it's ok doesn't mean that all of them do. Effectively you are messing with the normal function of your liver and kidneys so there will be some risk.

It can cause kidney failure, osteoporosis, high calesterol. studies have shown there is an increased risk of cancer, gout, kidney stones, nausea, bad breath, and it messes with monthly cycles in women often making them heavier. Ketoacidosis can cause death as well.

I did it years ago, it worked, then I gained it back despite eating sensibly. Then I got disheartened and didn't eat sensibly and ended up where I am now. For me restrictive diets don't work, lifestyle where nothing is out of bounds as long as the portion is right does. Whatever works for you long term is important.

Some interesting reading...which gives a balanced (ish) view.

http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    And Ketosis can be dangerous, there is no point just going "it's just making the body burn fat rather than carbs" it's HOW it does that. It's all well and good doing it, having great results, well done. Don't kid yourself that it's without risk. Ketosis is considered an "unhealthy metabolic state" which is why in large the medical profession don't think it's a great idea. And just because your doctor thinks it's ok doesn't mean that all of them do. Effectively you are messing with the normal function of your liver and kidneys so there will be some risk.

It can cause kidney failure, osteoporosis, high calesterol. studies have shown there is an increased risk of cancer, gout, kidney stones, nausea, bad breath, and it messes with monthly cycles in women often making them heavier. Ketoacidosis can cause death as well.

I did it years ago, it worked, then I gained it back despite eating sensibly. Then I got disheartened and didn't eat sensibly and ended up where I am now. For me restrictive diets don't work, lifestyle where nothing is out of bounds as long as the portion is right does. Whatever works for you long term is important.

For the love of god, will you PLEASE stop spreading misinformation and outright bs? Read a book for goodness sakes. If you don't even know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidiosis you should NOT be posting on this topic at all. Honestly, I read this crap and for the most part can let it slide as just ignorance but when the same person persists in posting the same idiocy over and over I'm going to reply and I don't care whose feathers get ruffled.
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Did you stick with it?

Yes.

DId you lose weight?

Yes. Went from 58kgs to 49kgs in a very short time.

Did you physically feel good?

No, I was rather on edge and grumpy as!

Though in saying all that. I did it the first time when I was 24 and had only had 1 child. These days I am 32, have had 2 children and have a thyroid problem. So I lost 3kgs with it and then my weight refused to budge.
  • beccarockslife
    Options

For the love of god, will you PLEASE stop spreading misinformation and outright bs? Read a book for goodness sakes. If you don't even know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidiosis you should NOT be posting on this topic at all. Honestly, I read this crap and for the most part can let it slide as just ignorance but when the same person persists in posting the same idiocy over and over I'm going to reply and I don't care whose feathers get ruffled.

Don't worry, I'd have to give a *kitten* about your opinion to ruffle my feathers. I've read plenty of books, including Atkins, but funnily enough people trying to sell you things don't give a balanced view. Ketosis can cause problems, I have first hand experience of the problems it causes plus I see a lot of people go through clinic and see it too.

Information such as that presented in this article where it says:

There are several disadvantages and dangers of ketogenic diets. The most significant danger is the risk associated with ketosis itself. Pregnant women, alcoholics, or persons suffering from kidney or liver disease should never undertake a ketogenic diet.

Says nothing about ketoacidosis. I did mention there is a difference in my first post, one injures your body and the other kills you.

There is plenty out there too support how I feel about the "diets" which use Ketosis, including the American Heart Association. It IS a risk, that's proven fact, I didn't say anywhere that it would happen to you, all I said is there are risk factors.

I'm not sure what about my posts has shot your panties so far up your *kitten* other than you seem to be very defensive. Ketosis itself does carry risks, that's why pregnant women, those with kidney or liver function problems and diabetics are told NEVER do do diets which encourage Ketosis. Ketoacidosis is much more serious and not recognised as a good diet for anyone (although I'm told you lose 7lbs when you die, which is a pretty good loss instantly).

ATEOTD I said there are risks. Forcing your body to work in a way it's not designed too, like being a big fat *kitten* does, will always carry risks. You'd have to be a total dumb *kitten* not to realise it. I did have a great book which clearly explained what happened to the body when it went in to ketosis but it's packed up as I'm moving in two weeks.

But seriously. Calm down dear. It's only a diet. With risks. Like any diet.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options
    Not all low carb diets are created equal either....
  • BarbieHier
    BarbieHier Posts: 29
    Options
    I have tried low-carb and regular dieting, (by cutting back on portion size) and have lost weight both ways.

However, I think a LOT of people do well on low carb, once they cut out the carbs that contain gluten. MANY people have gluten intolerance and discover that when they go off of breads, etc., while trying a low carb diet. I feel MUCH better off of carbs and while on the portion restricted diet, I found if I had carbs, my cravings were much worse and I would eat more than I needed because carbs are a trigger food for me.

I am currently on a lower carb plan (I do eat some fruits and occasionally brown rice) and have lost 50 pounds, no cravings, feeling great.

So ultimately people may be having success on a low carb plan, for other less obvious reasons than just cutting out carbs, they may be also cutting out food they are sensitive to, which is helping them to feel better as well...that is the case for me.
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    Not all low carb diets are created equal either....

Fair point, well made.
  • Kodiacat
    Kodiacat Posts: 1
    Options
    Yay! For me eating low carb works. Do I gorge on meat? No. I love vegetables, I eat quite a bit more veggies when I'm low carb than when I'm not. Does it mean I can't have bread, pasta, and rice? No. Just means I have to be smart about it, so that it doesn't screw too much with my blood sugar. I personally don't eat it often, because I know that I have a tendency to over do it, and end up eating too much.

I have found some really creative and healthy substitutes that I would not have found otherwise. For example: Cauliflower pizza, Cauliflower mash, almond bread, dreamfields pasta, and low carb tortilla wraps.

I also don't tend to eat a ridiculous amount of calories when I'm on low carb, I have a hard time eating enough because I find that I'm not as hungry.

I think lots of people have heard about low carb, or read an article about low carb. It doesn't mean that what they have heard or what they have read is true.

There are lots of misconceptions about low carb. I have had a researcher get on my case because we went out to Larry's pizza to eat, and I opted for the salad bar only. I was told that I wasn't eating low carb, because I was eating a salad. This same researcher who is over weight herself, then proceeded to gorge on pizza, and lecture me about how moderation is the key to weight loss.

Its this kind of reaction that drives me crazy, in fact I often try to avoid telling people that I'm following a low carb approach because of this. I usually will just tell them what I'm eating instead.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options

Don't worry, I'd have to give a *kitten* about your opinion to ruffle my feathers. I've read plenty of books, including Atkins, but funnily enough people trying to sell you things don't give a balanced view. Ketosis can cause problems, I have first hand experience of the problems it causes plus I see a lot of people go through clinic and see it too.

There are several disadvantages and dangers of ketogenic diets. The most significant danger is the risk associated with ketosis itself. Pregnant women, alcoholics, or persons suffering from kidney or liver disease should never undertake a ketogenic diet.

Says nothing about ketoacidosis. I did mention there is a difference in my first post, one injures your body and the other kills you.

There is plenty out there too support how I feel about the "diets" which use Ketosis, including the American Heart Association. It IS a risk, that's proven fact, I didn't say anywhere that it would happen to you, all I said is there are risk factors.

I'm not sure what about my posts has shot your panties so far up your *kitten* other than you seem to be very defensive. Ketosis itself does carry risks, that's why pregnant women, those with kidney or liver function problems and diabetics are told NEVER do do diets which encourage Ketosis. Ketoacidosis is much more serious and not recognised as a good diet for anyone (although I'm told you lose 7lbs when you die, which is a pretty good loss instantly).

ATEOTD I said there are risks. Forcing your body to work in a way it's not designed too, like being a big fat *kitten* does, will always carry risks. You'd have to be a total dumb *kitten* not to realise it. I did have a great book which clearly explained what happened to the body when it went in to ketosis but it's packed up as I'm moving in two weeks.

Based on what you write, it is very hard to believe you've read anything other than the dreck at webmd. You do realize that webmd is just a publicly traded company designed to make money? Everything they put on their website is not touched by the hand of god. The article you posted a link to previously for example makes a variety of claims but backs up exactly zero of them with references. Wow, that is definitive--how could you not be persuaded by that? </sarcasm>

As to your claim that pregnant women are NEVER told to go on ketogenic diets, I happen to know that is patently false. Since you are all about the exceptions to the rule you should know that women with gestational diabetes are frequently advised to go on a ketogenic diet. But how could that be in your little world of absolutes?

I do however love your claim about forcing our bodies to do something they weren't designed to do. You do realize that for thousands of years man existed primarily on a protein and fat diet?

Your lack of knowledge about ketosis, ketones, beta-oxidation, gluconeogenesis, glycogen and what is or is not a "normal" body function however make you really not worth my time debating.

Honey, I frankly could not care less what you personally eat or drink. Knock yourself out and good luck with your personal weight loss effort. I am sorry a ketogenic diet didn't work out for you. We do agree apparently that they aren't for everybody and certainly only for people who can stick with them.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options
    I have tried low-carb and regular dieting, (by cutting back on portion size) and have lost weight both ways.

However, I think a LOT of people do well on low carb, once they cut out the carbs that contain gluten. MANY people have gluten intolerance and discover that when they go off of breads, etc., while trying a low carb diet. I feel MUCH better off of carbs and while on the portion restricted diet, I found if I had carbs, my cravings were much worse and I would eat more than I needed because carbs are a trigger food for me.

I am currently on a lower carb plan (I do eat some fruits and occasionally brown rice) and have lost 50 pounds, no cravings, feeling great.

So ultimately people may be having success on a low carb plan, for other less obvious reasons than just cutting out carbs, they may be also cutting out food they are sensitive to, which is helping them to feel better as well...that is the case for me.

Well put.... I just have to limit my carbs. I try to eat fruit in limited portions on days that I workout (6 out of 7) because an apple on a non workout day for me means the scale goes up the next day. :/

I have never felt better than I do on my "low carb diet".
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I don't think I want to get involved in this pissing match, except to say: since when is salads and vegetables, and whole foods considered unhealthy for the human body? Because I'm doing low carb, and that's what I seem to eat the most of. My intake of meat has not gone up. Sure, I can eat more of it, but I can't remember the last time I gorged myself on protein. I can, however, remember that back in my high carb eating days when I was eating "Carbage", I could finish a whole bag of Cheetos (crunchy OR puffs) all by myself in front of the tv.
    Also, the urban legend is that you lose 21 grams when you die (supposedly what your soul weighs)...I've not heard of losing 7 pounds when you die.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Low carb has changed/ saved my life and the lives of several family members.

I could never go back to feeding myself unhealthy sugar and poisonous grains.

Meat, eggs, and veggies are all I need :)
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I don't want to get in a p*ssing match either but do want to say that my DR put me on a low carb diet when I was pregnant with my last baby. I was eating Special K for breakfast & usually a grilled chicken salad for lunch and snacking on fruit. I have a small frame and at 8 months pregnant my baby was getting too big to quick and I was showing too much sugar in my urine.

So she limited me to 40 grams of carbs a day. He was definitely healthy. At 2 weeks early he weighed in at 7 1/2 pounds and quickly got to 10 by the time he was actually due. I did not have gestational diabetes however.

My point is, DRs can put pregnant women on low carb diets. I honestly feel that this was why I didn't gain as much weight the last time as I usually do.

Also after seeing joejccva71 posts about Keto dieting I recommended this to my husband. It has worked great for him. He's losing weight and is finding it very easy to do. It's definitely sustainable for him because he isn't missing out on anything.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    NOT ALL DIETS DESCRIBED AS LOW CARB TRIGGER KETOSIS.

Let's all say that again in unison...aaaaaand, go.

You can effectively lower your overall carbohydrate and have energy and not be in a ketogenic state. Low carb is loosely defined as diets with 30% or less macro breakdown of carbs per day.

I'm still trying to find my happy, healthy, medium of carbohydrate that helps me gain better body composition while having sufficient energy. Some need fewer, some need greater. It's a very individual thing. Energy needs, metabolic functions, preference all affect this level.

The issue I've found over time is that YES, I can lose weight at a higher carb (staying within calorie needs), but I often feel hungry. If I go too low on the carb intake, I lose energy, but generally feel very sated. I'm trying to hit that middle ground right now.