Eating out...Do you just stay in?

Options
124»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Why would you cut this out? It's a part of life. I'm treating this journey as a lifestyle change. I enjoy good food. I like eating at nice restaurants, especially with friends. I refuse to give up going out to eat once in a while. It's doable. You don't need to drag a food scale with you. You don't have to limit yourself to chain restaurants.

Here's what I do:
    • Peruse menus ahead of time if possible so I have a sense of what my options are.
    • Sites like Yelp often comment on portion sizes or give you pictures so you know what you're facing.
    • Lots of places offer small plates.
    • Unless the bread is supposed to be fantastic, I skip it.
    • Salad--dressing on the side.
    • I try and eat lighter/less for the rest of the day.
    • I overestimate on the calories when I log it.

I agree with most of your points, and I do follow them. Except that I don't log restaurant calories at all unless I find the nutritional information in their website or in MFP. I don't waste my time looking for something similar because it is not important to me and the estimation will not be accurate anyway. So why bother? And I never used or heard about Yelp (but I may try it in the future) so I wait until I get to the restaurant and I ask the waiter about the size of their portions and decide from there.

• Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In the UK any restaurant/fast food place with more than 20 locations has to put their calorie information on their website, so I plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time, and I don't go places that don't have their nutrition info available (which isn't a lot of places).
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I ate out or had a social meal once a week throughout my weight loss. It was non negotiabe for me.

I made different choices based on what I wanted. Sometimes I ate low calorie item, and sometimes I ate half a meal. And sometimes I ate a huge fattening pile of greasy bar food.

When I did the latter. I would see a 5 pound gain the next day, but as long as I was spot on the rest of the week, I usually STILL lost a little after the week was up.

Think long term. If you can't give it up forever, the figure out how you can have it occasionally. And accept that sometimes it might slow the WL a bit.

Most folk will lose weight if they make great choices 80 percent of the time and enjoy the remaining 20.

Works in my case.

• kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nope- make it a maintenence day then eat a really light breakfast and lunch and do a bit of exercise so you can treat yourself a bit :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If my husband and I cycle the Cycleway in the city after work, or if we go to the gym, we'll usually swing by a Subway and pick up a sub for dinner. The tuna sub fits within my calorie count. This happens about once every other week.

If my husband and I go to the symphony (Fridays about once a month), we'll usually drop by Zambreros for a burrito just before the performance. I climb extra stairs that day and go for a long walk at lunch.

If we cycle 100 km+ on the weekend, we'll pick up a pizza each at Dominos, or stop for fish and chips, or maybe go to an Indian restaurant. That happens once or twice a month.

As for going out just for the sake of going out ... we do that for special occasions or on trips.

We got away for 4 days over Christmas and ate in restaurants a few times then. Before that, we went out for dinner for my graduation earlier in December. Before that, I think we went out after I finished my final exam in October.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat out. not as much as when i was with my ex (which is when i lost most of my weight). All you have to do is plan for it.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm careful to be sure my willpower is a full strength. I try to save nights out for days I already had a good workout or I know I will have one the next day.

Of our regular haunts I've made better food choices, instead of burger and fries i get pork loin with 2 veggie sides. No appetizers. If I allow wing night, we still get our usual dry rub choices, but get 20 wings for the two of us instead of 40 (which allows a nice doggie bag of extras for later in the week).

Etc.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat out several times a week as well. One of my indulgences is a trip to the sushi bar for sashimi to help me meet my protein goals. I also go out for Mexican once a week with my husband and just try to find something that fits into my macros. If I can't, I save up calories over the week.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Reading all of these replies has made me realise what a home body i am! We haven't been out for dinner/lunch in months, probably 5 or 6. I cant even remember the last time we had take away :(

I am actually a chef by trade. I pretty much have to go out if I want to stay on top of food trends, plus it gets tiring when you cook all day and then all night as well. It's a treat to have food made by someone else! I don't use my meals out as cheat meals usually though. It's more so I can socialize with friends.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    Reading all of these replies has made me realise what a home body i am! We haven't been out for dinner/lunch in months, probably 5 or 6. I cant even remember the last time we had take away :(

I am actually a chef by trade. I pretty much have to go out if I want to stay on top of food trends, plus it gets tiring when you cook all day and then all night as well. It's a treat to have food made by someone else! I don't use my meals out as cheat meals usually though. It's more so I can socialize with friends.

I totally get that if you're cooking all day long, you don't want to come home and cook again. Food cooked by someone else always tastes better :lol:
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat out regularly but like some have already said I try to stick to chain reaturaunts, especially the ones with calories on the actual menu. Otherwise u cant go wrong with a medium sized steak and jacket spud with salad without creamy sauces for around 700 cals. At really calorific resturaunts iv been known to have the house salad with grilled chicken, ham or prawns requesting no cheese or mayo..... worst case scenario a starter will suffice. if its a special occasion I just pretend that day didnt exist.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I normally eat at home and don't do restaurant meals. Even if I eat at friends I simply estimate portion sizes and skip some of the items.

The other option if its difficult to control food intake, is to increase exercise output.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If I just started eating on my new plan, I give it a week or two before I eat out. After I've been on plan 1-2 weeks, I accept the invitation and find appropriate dishes on the menu, even look online at the menu before going.

For booze: flavored vodka + club
    Glass of white wine + glass of sparkling water ...dilute wine for for wine spritzer
  • Mayasmama5410
    Mayasmama5410 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love going out to eat. I want this to be a lifestyle change for me and not a diet so I definitely don't skip going out. Tonight we had take out, nachos, queso dip and guac. with shredded beef and chicken, it was much higher in calories than what I would usually use for dinner but it was absolutely worth it.
    When I go out to eat I usually try to look at the menu ahead of time. I often skip starches and ask for double veggies, I ask for oil and vinegar for salad and I tend to order grilled seafood and meats.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't eat out often, but I don't turn down invitations unless I don't like the place I'm being invited to. When I was losing weight, I did eat out even less often, but my social life didn't suffer; food is never the only focus of my social events. Rather, it is the company of others. You can always hang out with friends and just order water.
    The extra sodium that commercially prepared food usually has may mask your weight loss, so I *can* see why you might want to hold off on eating out for a little while.
    If anything, just overestimate your intake (reasonably) from now on.
    Then again, if you're eating out only once a fortnight, perhaps there are CICO errors elsewhere as well?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Cancelling your social life to lose weight is not healthy or sustainable. There are any number of options;

- decrease weekday calories to "bank more the weekend"
    - Increase activity to boost TDEE
    - Eat before you go out and only have a starter or salad
    - Implement IF and until you go out
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No, don't stay in, eating out is one of life's greatest pleasures imo. :smiley:
    How you get round it is eating a bit more at deficit during the week so you can eat out safe in the knowledge you have banked extra calories to enjoy.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat out every weekend : Friday , Saturday and Sunday
    And sometimes even during the week !
    I fast during that day so that I could eat all my calories on 1 meal :)
    I eat whatever I want when i go out but listen to my body and do not overeat.
    I just weigh in 2-3 times a week and if I go over my goal weight , me and my boyfriend just eat in for a week or two until my weight goes back down or go to restaurant which have their calorie info online :)
    Its quite simple really and you do not need to give up going out
    That would depress me honestly
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Excellent strategies and tips in this topic.

Let me add one I guess it was not mention: step ahead when asking for restaurant choices.

My first choice is seafood and fish restaurants. Is one of the few places where a salad and steamed potatoes are the soud choice for side order to a fresh grilled fish :-) (for me is important to not to llok like a diet freak).

Second choice is meat restaurants (for instance argentinean), excellent grilled low-fat high-quality meat. Salad can be weird, but there is always a choice for a baked potatod (my favorite over smashed and fried).

Then, as time passes, I discovered that almost all kind of restaurants have a healthy choice without the need to look at the "healthy section" of the menu.

Last experience, somebody invite for a Turkish restaurant. A good Turkish restaurant have excellent baked meat (kebab), usually served with salad, and another of my favorites: tabboluleh. Just make sure the tabbluleh main ingredient is the parsley and not the bulgur so it will be a very light dish. Then go for the baklava :-)

Hope this helps.