Two weeks in and have not lost weight

Options
So! I started out at 280 and now... I'm at 281.

I'm accurate with my food (I've been weighing it and have used the barcodes and have been measuring food.) I pretty sure I have about 96% accuracy. I've forgotten to log a couple things I'm sure... but for the most part it's accurate.

I've counted up all my intake from the past 12 days and then subtracted it from my "maintenance" intake.

I started at 280, dipped briefly down to 275, and now I'm at 280 again.

I averaged about 1700 calories of food intake a day.... Maintenance is 2500 for sedentary.

(This isn't counting a couple of gym classes and... collectively about 40 miles walked/hiked.)

I mean... I was at 275 a few days in. Now I'm up to 281 at 15 days in.

It's a bit depressing.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You will get more help from the community with an open diary.

Aside from that, like the one above said, give it time. Two weeks isn't long enough to determine how you're truly doing.

Logging accuracy is key. Weigh every bit of food that you can and take care to not forget anything. :smile: It takes time to get used to it and let it become habit. I write it down as I'm weighing, then log before I eat to make sure I don't forget.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker.

I'm more competent than most at weighing and measuring food.

My educated guess is I've weighed and measured at about 96% accuracy.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Barcodes aren't always accurate because they are mostly user-entered just like the majority of the database. Double-check the entry compared to the nutrition label on the box.

Log before you eat so that you don't have to worry about remembering to log an item. That also gives you a chance to change your mind before you eat something.

The main thing is patience. If you still aren't losing after a couple of months of doing what you are doing, you can reevaluate at that time.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I could have ridiculous weight fluctuations. Sure it would get depressing if no losses showed up after diligent logging...but if you stay the course they WILL.

Just keep logging every thing and you'll see results.

For myself, the culprit is nearly always excess sodium + lots of simple carbs. Still happens to me too after almost 3 years of this journey.
    Just this week I was a bit shocked to see a 4 pound gain...but looking at what I ate I knew I was spot on with my calories, it was that I'd deviated from my normal lower carbs, had a TON of salt, and these two made my body retain a LOT of water. After just two days my weight went down 2 pounds and I bet by Tuesday I'll be back down the other 2 pounds.

Don't get discouraged by ups and downs on your scale. If after a couple more weeks you're still not losing, well- you're going to have to reevaluate your daily caloric intake and perhaps lower it a bit until you start seeing some results.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is a short time. You need to be patient and keep tracking your food.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    It's just disheartening.

I was thinking I might drop my calories. I'll wait another week and see.
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't drop Your calories!
    If you take in less calories than your body needs to do its daily tasks then you enter starvation mode and your body stores fat.
    Likewise, if you take in more calories than you burn you gain weight.
    And still yet, hormones cause annoying weight fluctuations of as much as seven pounds, sometimes more.
    Exercise. Walking is great, but strength training a few times every week will help you build the muscle that will burn more calories while youre resting. Even if it's just thirty squats every other day on top of your walks, your quads are the biggest muscle in your body. When they work, your whole body warms up.
    But remember it takes four weeks to see a real difference.
    Idk I hope this helps
  • ashesnposies333
    Options
    Regardless, don't let this get you down. If goal chasing was instant, we wouldnt need these apps or the community!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'd love to offer some sage advice, but I'm too busy being a wet blanket over here. :wink:

I get that it's disheartening, but the fact it that it's a long road ahead of you. You will need more patience. First, review your logs. So many of the database entries are incorrect. Additionally, packages can be off by 20% (usually understated) so weighing prepackaged stuff as well, will me more accurate. Second, is there anything else that could be masking the losses? Close to TOM (some women gain during ovulation as well), did you have more sodium than usual in the last day or two, or new workout routine (my losses stalled for weeks when I started weight lifting). If you are certain that your logging is as accurate as it can be, then give it some more time, but I would strongly suggest reviewing your logs (including the database entries themselves) for accuracy.

I would also suggest reading through the posts stickied at the top of the getting started and general diet forums. In particular:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

and

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

and

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Part of my problem is I've been lurking on a lot of diaries and everyone seems to be eating fewer calories than me.

I've also never been a scale person... even when I've lost weight before.

I've posted a thread before and was given the advice to eat more when I work out. But when looking at diaries (of successful people who are losing weight) they typically are lower than my daily intake.

Also... I've had some distant past bulimia issues that are starting to pop up today.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'd love to offer some sage advice, but I'm too busy being a wet blanket over here. :wink:
    There are worse things to be. :)
    I get that it's disheartening, but the fact it that it's a long road ahead of you. You will need more patience. First, review your logs. So many of the database entries are incorrect. Additionally, packages can be off by 20% (usually understated) so weighing prepackaged stuff as well, will me more accurate. Second, is there anything else that could be masking the losses?
    I don't eat much prepackaged anything. Off the top of my head, the only thing I've eaten this past week that wasn't prepared by me was pizza and... someone gave me 3 individually packaged oatmeals and I've eaten those.
    Close to TOM (some women gain during ovulation as well), did you have more sodium than usual in the last day or two, or new workout routine (my losses stalled for weeks when I started weight lifting). If you are certain that your logging is as accurate as it can be, then give it some more time, but I would strongly suggest reviewing your logs (including the database entries themselves) for accuracy.
    I track my periods and I ovulated a few days back... that's interesting. Maybe that isn't helping.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Part of my problem is I've been lurking on a lot of diaries and everyone seems to be eating fewer calories than me.

I've posted a thread before and was given the advice to eat more when I work out. But when looking at diaries (of successful people who are losing weight) they typically are lower than my daily intake.

Also... I've had some distant past bulimia issues that are starting to pop up today.

Start with looking at what's triggering the bulimia issues. As for the calorie intake, I lose 2lb/week on 1600 calories, I am older than you, shorter than you, and weigh less. These three factors mean that my caloric intake should be less than you for successful weight loss. That being said, I am fairly active. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to lose on 1700/day, assuming that your logging is accurate.
  • ashesnposies333
    Options
    Be strong. It takes a very long time to get where you're going. You are not them, they are not you. Success is not linear and what works for some doesnt work for every one.
    Step one, do not compare yourself to others. Every. Body. is different. Same as everybody is different.
    Step two, don't quit.

And perhaps look into Fitgirls Guide. It's an e-book I found on Instagram two years ago. Insanely helpful tips to help change your lifestyle aaaaand recipes for clean eating that satisfies even the sweetest of cravings. I love it and it helped me immensely as it has for thousands of women and men.
    Theres an online community too.
    I started using this app to help count calories and macros, but without Fitgirls Guide, I probably would have kept climbing the weight ladder like I was before I stumbled on it.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options

Start with looking at what's triggering the bulimia issues. As for the calorie intake, I lose 2lb/week on 1600 calories, I am older than you, shorter than you, and weigh less. These three factors mean that my caloric intake should be less than you for successful weight loss. That being said, I am fairly active. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to lose on 1700/day, assuming that your logging is accurate.

I didn't eat much this morning since I had an absolutely huge meal the night before. So today a lot of my calories have come in late in the day. I'm feeling a little nauseous and that's made me think about vomiting. I'm not going to, I'm years removed from that, but the thought flitted through my mind.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'll wait this all out. It'll come off.