How should I lose weight?

Options
I went to my doctor and she told me that I should do 30 minutes of cardio and little to no strength training because that won't help me right now. She said to do this 6 days a week and that it is the best way to lose weight at my weight. I feel like that's not enough and I know she's a doctor, but I would just like a second opinion. I'm currently 260. I would like to drop about 70 pounds for many reasons. I wanted to do an hour of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training 3-4 days a week, but I was shot down and told that would be ineffective and that I shouldnt focus on strength training until I lost enough weight. Should I carry on with my workout plan or listen to her? I have no health conditions that limit me from doing anything.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You should lose weight by working out your calorie goal for weight loss, logging all your food and sticking to the calorie goal.

The exercise you do on top of that will be a bonus - do something you enjoy, that you'll keep doing. I love strength training, and it's a bonus that it helps maintain muscle whilst in a deficit.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd do what makes you happy! You're much more likely to have success if you're doing something you enjoy!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You lose weight through being in a calorie deficit which you can create through diet, exercise or both. You should lift weights now though as this will help you retain as much muscle as possible/.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I already know about having a good diet, I just want to know about my exercise regimen.
  • xNausicaa
    Options
    SoxyKitten wrote: »
    I'd do what makes you happy! You're much more likely to have success if you're doing something you enjoy!
    Thank you very much!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% diet 20% exercise, maybe even higher.
    Eat less calories than you burn and do whatever exercise you enjoy. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so it is kind of important to build up muscle.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% diet 20% exercise, maybe even higher.
    Eat less calories than you burn and do whatever exercise you enjoy. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so it is kind of important to build up muscle.

You loose weight through diet alone. Exercise is for overall health. You can use exercise to offset calories, but I don't believe it's reliable enough.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    xNausicaa wrote: »
    I already know about having a good diet, I just want to know about my exercise regimen.

Then ignore that part and consider the rest of the advice.
  • Gtkozik
    Gtkozik Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would suggest treamil in walking on incline or do stairs at home. That's what i did. The treamil slowly increasing inclined until I was able to do highest of 45 minutes. Builds up your endurance and shed pounds. I last 60 lb last year. Just few days ago I beat my record of 531 floors on fit bit. Get step tracker like charge 2. Tells you how much you walked and how many floors you climbed and your heart rate and its a great thing. Trust me. Money well spent. You will not regret it.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was told a similar thing back then when I had much weight to lose, I still did the strength training cos I enjoyed it so much. If eating is the key to lose weight, exercise is key to preserve muscle and shape things to look good. For me at least it is like that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do both cardio & strength. Start strength training now! It will help you retain muscle while you're losing so you'll be stronger, feel better, and look better when you get to goal.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy. Your food intake will be most important. Don't count the calories burned, as you'll most likely overestimate unless you are doing a serious amount of work every day. Start small so you aren't super sore and less likely to do it. If you feel like you can do 1.5 hours of cardio and strength, absolutely go for it. Strength training is for strong bones, general health, etc, not weight loss.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, the actual weight loss/nutrition/etc training that regular doctors actually have is shockingly low, so I wouldn't take the doctor's word on a topic like this as gospel, unfortunately. As others have said, the best exercise to do is the one that you're going to enjoy and stick with. And yes, there is definitely a benefit to strength training, in that it will hopefully help you preserve muscle mass as you lose weight
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The way I'm taking what you wrote (and maybe I'm wrong) is that you're asking if what the dr recommended is enough. Between watching calories and the cardio, sure...it's enough.

But if you're genuinely interested in strength training, then definitely go for it! It won't hurt anything and but certainly help (despite her thinking otherwise). She's making it sound like nothing is worth doing if it won't lead to weight loss, which is kinda stoooopid....

Lift those weights and have fun.
  • xNausicaa
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Okay thank you everyone for the responses! They were all very helpful and I appreciate it!
  • lizzymay1990
    lizzymay1990 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    From experience the most weight I ever lost was from implementing weights 4 days a week for 10 mins. I lost weight quicker and changed shape quicker than when I just did cardio.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There's a paradox to exercising. Exercising more may not significantly increase your weight loss as your body requires fuel for the exercise and people who tend to exercise more also tend to eat more (after a long Sunday run I'm ravenous and will easily eat a 1,000 cal breakfast).

From a fitness point of view exercising for longer periods will improve your endurance and certainly I would never try to talk someone out of strength training unless there was a specific medical reason that contraindicated it.

I wonder if your doctor is recommending the 6 day a week approach from the point of view of injury prevention (if you're going from zero to an hour there is an increased chance of overuse injury depending on the type of cardio you're doing) and the 6 day approach is more consistent, making it easier to internalize daily activity.

I'd probably do a bit of a blend......start off with the 30 min cardio 6 times weekly (and feel free to gradually buildup from that if you're exercising injury free and not feeling unduly fatigued) and incorporate strength training several times a week. I'm not a doctor but IMO it's never too early to start strength training (again, tailoring it to your current fitness levels and goals) as it helps with injury prevention on the cardio side)
  • Lioness_1978
    Lioness_1978 Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    You've got alot of great advice already. Personally strength training has been the greatest decision I've ever made. Done it for 3 years now at my heaviest and from the very start of my weight loss. There are so many benefits. It has changed my life. I'm surprised your Doc suggested to wait. It really makes no since to me.
    I shared my story on Success Stories.
    120lbs down, 37 lbs to go. You might find some encouragement in it.
    Whatever you do. Rock it!