Dry January...anyone else going alcohol free?

Options

Replies

• dngallimore
    dngallimore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    No, but I plan to cut down..... after football season is over it will be a lot easier....

I was just thinking that .... hard to say no to alcohol, wings, and ooey-gooey dips and chips.
  • dngallimore
    Options
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned this already but there's a dry January app. It helps a bit with motivation and calculates money/ calories saved :)

What is it called?
  • secrets424
    secrets424 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know it's half way through January, but I also have cut out alcohol to limit my caloric intake. I also was a bottle of wine a night type of girl. I haven't had a drink since January 2nd. At first I had a minor headache that lasted for a week or so, but now it's gone. The great news is, I've lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks. Hopefully, I'll continue losing, since a bottle of wine has 600-700 calories. That's the only thing I have really changed, and the fat is melting away. Losing the weight is more important to me now, then having those drinks. Fingers crossed!! Good luck to all of us!!
  • dngallimore
    Options
    secrets424 wrote: »
    I know it's half way through January, but I also have cut out alcohol to limit my caloric intake. I also was a bottle of wine a night type of girl. I haven't had a drink since January 2nd. At first I had a minor headache that lasted for a week or so, but now it's gone. The great news is, I've lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks. Hopefully, I'll continue losing, since a bottle of wine has 600-700 calories. That's the only thing I have really changed, and the fat is melting away. Losing the weight is more important to me now, then having those drinks. Fingers crossed!! Good luck to all of us!!

That's wonderful! I didn't think i could go there yet, but reading these posts inspired me to throw my hat in the ring .... yesterday was my 1st day without wine. I'm going to see how far i can take this. My job almost REQUIRES alcohol to survive!
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am getting to the point where I am consuming a bottle almost night and slowly creeping up on every night. It is certainly not helping with my anxiety/depression and has aided in my 60lb weight gain in the last year. Every time I say enough, I last a few days and then cave again. I am glad I found this thread and it is nice to know I am not alone in this.
  • FuriousFurian
    FuriousFurian Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am doing dry January for the second year running. It's surprisingly easy once you commit to it.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I've noticed it's gotten a little less chatty in this thread and wanted to offer up some encouragement. If you've slipped, just get back on the horse and see it through.

(I haven't spoken up before because I'm going dry this month to support my husband, but I only have a couple of drinks per week anyway. I am appreciating that it's freed up some calories though!)
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely support anyone with this effort. I wont be joining you but I will support you.
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Doing ok here in Georgia. Not as hard as I thought it would be. I usually have at least two glasses of wine every evening or more. The calories saved is a huge motivator. Now if only my scale would budge down...
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    About to enter our third weekend "dry!" Almost in the home stretch. It's definitely different. Instead of my normal two glasses of wine a night during the week, I've been drinking Sleepytime tea. It actually puts me to sleep...LOL!
  • lizzymcg
    lizzymcg Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    About to enter our third weekend "dry!" Almost in the home stretch. It's definitely different. Instead of my normal two glasses of wine a night during the week, I've been drinking Sleepytime tea. It actually puts me to sleep...LOL!

I've been drinking sleepy time tea TOO! It really helps me to be drinking something before bed, because it's a ritual.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Cutting down, not out. Two beers per weekend night (except special occasions)
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's been an alcohol-free January so far. Had been in a habit of 2-3 glasses of wine per night. Hoping the scales start to reflect that - for sure, I feel better.
  • amarillopotter
    amarillopotter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut alcohol completely out but am seriously restricting it. I used to have a drink every evening and now I only allow myself one shot of liquor on Friday and Saturday nights. I find telling myself I am not having any of something I like makes me want it even more so I give myself permission to indulge just a little. I am not much for sweets so this is my occasional treat rather than a dessert.
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    We are doing great ! Down to the home stretch!
  • secrets424
    secrets424 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Giving up drinking has not been that hard, and I drank a bottle of wine per night. You can do it too. I've replaced wine with tea. It worked well.. I think it's because of the tannins. So I drink several mugs of tea per night. The best part is that I've lost 10Lbs in 3 weeks. If I keep losing weight, I might quit drinking for good.

Good luck everybody!!
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    Ok today big playoff game in the ATL! I will be cheering the Dirty Birds on with sparkling water and an occasional hot tea. Rise Up Falcons! And this month has been so good for me so far. Learning that I have willpower to loose weight and get my runs ( even if I have to cut short because of storms) in no matter what.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to. It's what is making it difficult for me to get into a deficit. After I broke up with my boyfriend last April, I started dating again and the dates always include drinks...and honestly, I WANT them too. I don't like coffee dates. Anyway, a few glasses of wine, a bad date...I come home to ice cream. Blah.
  • yalva009
    yalva009 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing in dry January?!?! A little over a week left!
  • Isolde1953
    Isolde1953 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking August 26, 2015. Fav drink was gin n tonic or beer, or wine