Cycling problems

Options
I suck at cycling. I don't know what my problem is. I have gotten my bike professionally fitted now so it isn't making my shoulders/neck sore, but I find that I have serious trouble physically peddling. I am in great shape. I run marathons and wanted to transition to triathlons but I am afraid to take time away from a sport I'm good at to potentially waste time and money on a sport I'm terrible at.
And when I say slow I mean legitimately slow. Like 10mph is pushing it most days for me. When I was biking more frequently 12mph was the best avg I could manage. The other day going up a hill I realized when looking at my speed that I could have run faster haha.
Looking for any advice about why I am so slow or strength training to get stronger or any success stories about people getting better at cycling.
(I am 23 y.o. and run a 3:45 marathon, aiming to qualify for Boston within the year)

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Something is wrong if you are capable of a solid marathon but "can't" ride more than 12mph. What gearing are you using? Do you have idea of what your cadence is? What kind of bike do you have?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Can you describe exactly what kind of trouble you're having pedaling? Is it too hard? Too easy? Are you in pain? Etc?

What kind of terrain are you riding in? Roads, trails, etc? How hilly? How windy? What kind of bike do you have?

How often do you use your shifters?

Most people seem to agree that running doesn't do a lot for cycling, but that cycling is great for runners. I wouldn't worry too much in your shoes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Describe the "serious trouble peddling".
    What's stopping you? Your legs? Your lungs?

With your fitness level would expect it to be your technique not your CV capability that's the problem.
    Wrong cadence would be my guess on the limited information available - or flat tyres! ;)
  • JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been in the fastest gear(easiest gear) because in any higher gear (except when going downhill) it's too hard to pedal. The problem is my legs. I feel like I'm using a stairclimber on high resistance or something. I've done spin class frequently lately and I do okay there. It has helped me realize I need to increase my cadence so that's why I try to keep it on a fast gear so I can spin my legs faster. Though I still feel like my legs are moving too slowly.
    I'm riding in a road bike on local paved greenways. My tires a pumped to an appropriate pressure.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First off average speed means nothing. What sort of gearing are your using , ideally you want to be able to spin around 90. So your legs don't tire too much. You can increase speed by making sure your clothes don't flap about , also if your core allows try to get low as comfortable, elbows tucked in. A lot of cycle clubs have social group rides to join. Don't worry too much about the speed it will come like anything it will come. There is saying it never gets easier you only get faster.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like there might be something wrong with your bike. Have you had it checked/turned up recently?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    JuliaHujar wrote: »
    I have been in the fastest gear(easiest gear) because in any higher gear (except when going downhill) it's too hard to pedal.

So the chain is as far LEFT as it can go? It's on the smallest ring in front and the biggest cog in back?
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also I guess you know about training zones to help increase your muscle endurance do some strength session at around 80 in your zone 3 for 15 mins then 5 mins zone 1 recovery then repeat zone 3 at 80. Also do sessions in zone 2 for 45 mins to start with at 90
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    First off average speed means nothing. What sort of gearing are your using , ideally you want to be able to spin around 90. So your legs don't tire too much. You can increase speed by making sure your clothes don't flap about , also if your core allows try to get low as comfortable, elbows tucked in. A lot of cycle clubs have social group rides to join. Don't worry too much about the speed it will come like anything it will come. There is saying it never gets easier you only get faster.

I ride in a lower gear to try to spin faster but I don't have a cadence monitor yet. I wear cycling clothing so that's not a huge issue.
    I've been to a few social group rides and I tend to be able to go faster with companions, but I don't like being in the slower section of riders.
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like there might be something wrong with your bike. Have you had it checked/turned up recently?

I just had it professionally adjusted and tuned up
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    I have been in the fastest gear(easiest gear) because in any higher gear (except when going downhill) it's too hard to pedal.

So the chain is as far LEFT as it can go? It's on the smallest ring in front and the biggest cog in back?

Yeah it's in the lowest possible gear
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    Also I guess you know about training zones to help increase your muscle endurance do some strength session at around 80 in your zone 3 for 15 mins then 5 mins zone 1 recovery then repeat zone 3 at 80. Also do sessions in zone 2 for 45 mins to start with at 90

Yeah that kind of thing is easier on a spin class bike but hard for me to do outdoors. I also just got an indoor trainer to put my bike on, so I should be able to do stuff like that on my bike indoors.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    53x25?

On the face of it, it sounds like you'd benefit from changing your gearing. But something doesn't add up and I wouldn't spend the money yet.

If you pick the bike up in one hand and spin the (rear) wheel with the other, how easily does it turn? How long will it keep turning once you spin it up?
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    53x25?

On the face of it, it sounds like you'd benefit from changing your gearing. But something doesn't add up and I wouldn't spend the money yet.

If you pick the bike up in one hand and spin the (rear) wheel with the other, how easily does it turn? How long will it keep turning once you spin it up?

Not sure what you mean by those numbers?
    It spins without a problem. The guy who did my bike tune up said the rear wheel had a bit of a wobble but not too bad. He adjusted the brakes so they wouldn't hit the tire while it spun.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need saddle time. Put in the miles and the speed will come. Cycling is very quad oriented, running really isn't so squats and anything you can do to build up the quads is going to help. I know you like to run but cycling is a great cross training exercise and will help if done correctly. Saddle time...
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Fastest meaning smallest ring in the front, biggest in the back right? Appropriate as in 100 psi +/- 10psi (assuming 700c x 23)

IMHO it's really hard to go that slow on a road bike. I'm thinking something is mechanically wrong. I'd inspect the brakes and alignment of the wheels. When you lift up the back of the bike and spin the wheel, it shouldn't wobble at all.
    Also, when you have the rear wheel lifted, you should be able to shift through all the gears and pedal by hand with no problems (because the only resistance at that point is drivetrain loss and a little bit of air resistance due to the spokes)
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need saddle time. Put in the miles and the speed will come. Cycling is very quad oriented, running really isn't so squats and anything you can do to build up the quads is going to help. I know you like to run but cycling is a great cross training exercise and will help if done correctly. Saddle time...

Yeah that's what I was figuring. It's just really hard finding motivation when I'm so bad. Running came really naturally to me so I'm not used to being so bad at something athletic.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    53x25?

It spins without a problem. The guy who did my bike tune up said the rear wheel had a bit of a wobble but not too bad. He adjusted the brakes so they wouldn't hit the tire while it spun.

Ok we just found your problem. Your wheel is out of true. It wobbles a little when you pick the bike up and spin the wheel, unweighted. But when you sit on it (it's a road bike so about 70 % of your weight is on the rear wheel) it rubs the brake. This is where the resistance is coming from.

If it's a carbon frame, try to confirm the tire only rubbing the brake and not the chainstay.
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Fastest meaning smallest ring in the front, biggest in the back right? Appropriate as in 100 psi +/- 10psi (assuming 700c x 23)

IMHO it's really hard to go that slow on a road bike. I'm thinking something is mechanically wrong. I'd inspect the brakes and alignment of the wheels. When you lift up the back of the bike and spin the wheel, it shouldn't wobble at all.
    Also, when you have the rear wheel lifted, you should be able to shift through all the gears and pedal by hand with no problems (because the only resistance at that point is drivetrain loss and a little bit of air resistance due to the spokes)

Yeah the rear wheel has a slight amount of wobble but the brakes have been adjusted so that they aren't hitting the wheel. I know my speed is ridiculously slow compared to people in my run club who XT with cycling. I feel like I should definitely be able to go faster!
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    53x25?

Ok we just found your problem. Your wheel is out of true. It wobbles a little when you pick the bike up and spin the wheel, unweighted. But when you sit on it (it's a road bike so about 70 % of your weight is on the rear wheel) it rubs the brake. This is where the resistance is coming from.

If it's a carbon frame, try to confirm the tire only rubbing the brake and not the chainstay.

Okay I'm thinking I need to take it to another bike shop and have them look at the brakes and the wobbly wheel.