Women over 40, wanting to lose 20 lbs, support/motivation/success?

Options

Replies

• utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd love to join for some support and accountability. I'm 42 year old, 5'2", and currently 146 pounds, working my way down to somewhere between 120 and 130. I have 10 kids ages 3 to 22, with 7 of them at home (ages 3 to 17) and we homeschool them all with the help of a local homeschool co-op with friends. My fitness journey has been one with many interruptions for pregnancies and recoveries, with my weight increasing with each baby. I was 100 pounds before my first baby, and have absolutely no expectation of ever being that weight again. After baby #7 I got down to 117 pounds, but even that is lower than I want to go again, as I have since put on more muscle than I had then.

I started lifting weights at the end of 2014 at 40 years old when my baby was a year old, and started CrossFit at the beginning of 2016. I am truly in the best shape of my life right now and not looking back. I've been taking it slow on the weight loss, not wanting to lose too much muscle/strength as a result of losing pounds. However, I've been sitting at right around 150-152 pounds (my heaviest ever outside of pregnancy) since last May and I'm just tired of the muffin top and not being able to see my muscles. So a couple of weeks ago, I started at a bit more aggressive of a calorie deficit using homemade meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch, and watching my macros pretty carefully. At this point I'm willing to back track a bit on my gains if necessary to shed the extra padding. The strength will come back.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Hope to be able to cheer y'all on as well as benefit from your energy and encouragement.
  • kelssskay
    kelssskay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not 40 but I'm 39 and looking for accountability partners too. I struggle with my weight and could use and give encouragement. Feel free to add me.
  • lochearn
    lochearn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just turned 44 5'3" and nearly 2 stone overweight. Want to slim down for a holiday booked for June any support and suggestions would be great.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi, I turned 40 a few months ago. Lost over 20p since September, on and off. Still have 50ish to lose. I've finally been able to lose more than 8-9p with low carb dieting. And recipes that recreate things I love and make me feel less deprived in low carb (pizza, some desserts) helped a lot. If I have this http://amzn.to/2jpOU96 and this http://amzn.to/2jDbecI I don't feel like I'm dieting and it's easier to feel in control of what I'll eat. I don't get tempted by pizza now, just make my own low carb one.
  • 80Princess
    80Princess Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm over 40 & wanting to lose 64 lbs. I broke my foot & I can't play soccer right now, as a result I gained a lot of weight. I'm looking for support buddies! I'm a Small Frame & want to be back at my ideal weight for me, 120 lbs. I'm 5' 7". I just got a Fitbit over Christmas & I want to start to use it. I am cutting out sugar, flour, dairy, & processed foods, . I don't eat after 6 p.m. I will fast for 18 hours, at least once per week. Am wanting to increase that. I try to drink half my body weight a day in ounces with H20. I used to be with Calorie Count. Rather annoyed they're shutting down, as I really liked their site!. Contact me! :)
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    Weekly weigh in was this morning (for me anyway). Another 1.2 lbs down! Yippee!

Start date 1/3/17: 150 lbs
    1/9:   147.2
    1/16: 146.0
    1/23:
    1/30:
    2/6:
    2/13:
    2/20:
    2/27:
    GW: 130

Of course today I am fighting a sweet tooth.... Just say no!

Way to go! We are right about in the same weight range.
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    My Monday weigh-in was down as well. I was 145.4 this morning, which is exactly 7 pounds down overall from my peak weight of 152.4.

I went to CrossFit this morning for the first time in a week since I was sick last week. I'm still only about 85% back to healthy, but I was going stir crazy. The workout was pretty tough and I struggled, but I lasted 25 minutes so I'm calling it a win under the circumstances.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss Utahmom! I've also been fighting a cold and ate half a bag of Ricola cough drops today and now I feel queasy, lol. Kids are home for the holiday, can not wait to take Piyo again tomorrow. I don't know how you homeschool! My sister homeschools and loves it, I guess I'm just used to my alone time.

What percentages do you try to keep your macros at? I try for about 45% protein/30% fat/25% carbs. I haven't actually researched what I should be doing, that just seems to work for me.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and trying to lose 15 lbs. I just gained 10 on antidepressants. I'm trying to slowly lose it by summer.
  • andersonlindag
    andersonlindag Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 40. Can I join too?
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 but it's getting really hard for me to lose weight, so easy to gain! I would love friends in a similar situation. I want to lose 30-40 lbs!
  • tblevins2
    tblevins2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I will be 50 in just 3 months. Wanting to loose 20 pounds, wanting to help my knee problems I have seem to have the past several months, wanting to feel better about myself and how I look in my clothes lately and wanting to feel better and more confidence in myself to meet people. Being a single mom for 10 years and decided now is the time. Kids are at a older age and I'm not getting any younger. Has been a challenge with my bad knee but I am determined. I am here for encouragement and to give encouragement. We all just want to feel and be healthy. Good luck to all! Feel free to add me!
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    Congrats on the loss Utahmom! I've also been fighting a cold and ate half a bag of Ricola cough drops today and now I feel queasy, lol. Kids are home for the holiday, can not wait to take Piyo again tomorrow. I don't know how you homeschool! My sister homeschools and loves it, I guess I'm just used to my alone time.

What percentages do you try to keep your macros at? I try for about 45% protein/30% fat/25% carbs. I haven't actually researched what I should be doing, that just seems to work for me.

Thank you! I'm sorry you're sick, too. It stinks, especially for us moms!

My macros are set at 40P/30F/30C. I did do a lot of research to settle on this, but there are so many conflicting opinions out there, it's hard to say what is the "right" thing to do. You just have to do what works for you. I do find that if I get too few carbs my body doesn't care for it. I don't have enough energy, especially for my CrossFit workouts when I skimp on carbs. This percentage structure seems to work well for me, even if I am in a calorie deficit. I've even hit personal records in my strength training while losing weight when I'm sticking to these macro percentages.

Homeschooling is hard for sure, but it's a lifestyle. We love it. We have been doing it since my 17-y/o was 5 years old. It's not for everyone, but it has been one of the best decisions we have made for our family. I couldn't do it without the support of friends with our co-op and stuff, though. It really does make a difference.
  • Anmari2017
    Anmari2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 52yrs single mom of 2 teens and want to loose 60lbs! Yikes! I just started tracking food and walking 30 min a day. Eventually I will do more as soon as it stops freezing in Oregon! I would love some help with healthier meals and workouts?
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Anmari2017 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm 52yrs single mom of 2 teens and want to loose 60lbs! Yikes! I just started tracking food and walking 30 min a day. Eventually I will do more as soon as it stops freezing in Oregon! I would love some help with healthier meals and workouts?

I'm in Oregon, too :). Welcome! Starting is the hardest part. Stick with it and add more physical stuff as you feel able.

• Kateisgonnalose
    Kateisgonnalose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm most successful if I prep food in advance. I fixed 4 mason jar salads on Sunday and they are supposed to keep all week. For breakfast I've been enjoying overnight steel cut oats - 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Pop it in the fridge overnight and then add fruit in the morning and it's ready to go. I add berries or bananas. It's about 320 cals but it keeps me satisfied all the way until lunch time.
  • seasick667
    seasick667 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this group too, please. I'm 49 years old, turning 50 in June. I'd like to lose 20 lbs by then. My current weight is 153 lbs. The weight has slowly crept up over the last 5 years. I'm very active, .i.e. running, swimming and skiing, but that hasn't kept the lbs off. I'm hoping tracking my food will make the difference.