Fast food???

Options
Where can I go for lunch and what can I get? I want to stay under 500 calories for lunch, and I have approx 30 minutes.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fast food restaurants post their nutritional information on line...determine where you want to go and then look it up.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Most, if not all fast food or carry out places have online menus w/ nutrition listed. Start there.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Get online, look at menus and nutrition information. Determine what you can eat that way. You can get a decent meal for under 500 calories at just about any fast food restaurant these days.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you go to Subway, start with the wheat flatbread, and load it up with a lot of vegetables, go light on the dressing. Do not believe that because you order a salad that it is less calories, make sure you check the nutritional information.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water should be provided in our work place and is infinitely lower in calories!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you go to Subway, start with the wheat flatbread, and load it up with a lot of vegetables, go light on the dressing. Do not believe that because you order a salad that it is less calories, make sure you check the nutritional information.

Actually the 9 grain wheat, hearty Italian and Italian breads are all less calories than the flat bread options.

OP-I love eating out several times a week. Subway is my go-to place because it's 3 minutes from my house lol. Lot's of choices there for around 500 calories. My favorite is the oven roasted chicken. On 9 grain wheat with a slice of pepper jack cheese, lots of veggies and light mayo it comes in at around 430 calories for a six inch (I always just round to 500 because there's wiggle room with how much mayo they add). If you remove the cheese it knocks it down to under 400 calories.

Their salads are great too-I get the chicken bacon one and with shredded cheese, spinach as the base and then piled with the other veggies and it comes in at around 300 calories. I ask for a packet of the fat free ranch dressing they have and off the top of my head it's like 60 calories for that. These are big salads too!

eta: Subway's website is awesome because you can custom make your sub/salad ahead of time and it will give you the nutritional breakdown of it :)
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My favorite is the Wendy's half size salads. Chipotle is also a good place for me! Kinda tough to be under 500 at most places while feeling full, though. As much as I love fast food I always regret the choice after my 4 chicken nuggets are gone and I'm still hungry.

Edit: if you only have 30 minutes you'd be better off packing lunch most days, I'd think! Unless you're lucky enough to work near a lot of food places. Another tip is if there's a local place that's not in the database just think of the closest alternative. I go to a local Mexican fast style place and log it basically from Chipotle's nutritional info found online.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Panera is another great choice. Check their online nutrition info out and plan accordingly. I like the You Pick Two. And since you only have 30 minutes, you can order and pay online, and your food is ready when you get there.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Panera is another great choice. Check their online nutrition info out and plan accordingly. I like the You Pick Two. And since you only have 30 minutes, you can order and pay online, and your food is ready when you get there.

OT but it makes me so happy that so many restaurants are doing this now. Makes getting lunch during the workday so much easier.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Chick Fil A Grilled chicken breast sandwich (or girlled nuggest if you're worried about the bun) with a superfood salad (or fruit cup if you want to save more calories) on the side! Some locations allow online ordering via the app or go thru the drive thru.

Noodles and Company: Look under the 500 calories or less tab and order online: https://www.noodles.com/menu/.

Chipotle - Variations of the kids meal can be done for around 500 and you can order online for pickup.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I get a teriyaki chicken bowl with steamed veggies from Panda Express with the sauce on the side. I sauce myself sparingly, and I think it comes in around 400 calories. It's got the bulk and protein to keep me full.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Where can I go for lunch and what can I get? I want to stay under 500 calories for lunch, and I have approx 30 minutes.

That sounds like two round eggs (fresh cracked) and two sausages with coffee and two creams from McDonald's that I often eat.

In short I find options in most fast food places as others have mentioned. I found leaving off items that contain sugar or anything from any grains helps with the total calorie count and cuts down cravings until the next meal. It did take a few weeks for the cravings to cease.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Google?!?!

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Google?!?!

But it's so much quicker and easier to post your question on a message board and wait for people to respond.

Wait...

Maybe not.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My go-to lower calorie fast foods:
    McDonalds- most happy meals are under 500 calories and you get a nice variety of foods. Skip the drink for water or diet soda.
    Panera- several soup and salad combos under 500 calories.
    Chipotle/Moe's- skip the tortilla, load up on the veggies. You can even add rice and still stay around 500 calories.
    Subway- I can get steak and cheese with veggies for under 500. I usually add an egg white patty for not much more calories, while adding protein and fullness. Skip the dressing. Banana peppers= huge flavor without the calories.
    Costco- got one of those? Their hot dogs are really filling and only 550 calories.
    KFC- chicken breast and individual sized mashed potatoes. Don't eat the skin or coating but feel free to lick your fingers :)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    My favorite is the Wendy's half size salads. Chipotle is also a good place for me! Kinda tough to be under 500 at most places while feeling full, though. As much as I love fast food I always regret the choice after my 4 chicken nuggets are gone and I'm still hungry.

I like Wendy's chili cheese fries, about 450 calories and they leave me feeling pretty full even though it only seems like a small portion. My husband always wonders why I don't get a burger as well, but the fries are enough for me! (I like their half-size salads too.) Or Subway 6" sandwiches as long as you're careful what you put on them (and yes, their site is awesome). I like roast beef and mustard, since I can go without the cheese and mayo on that and still enjoy it!

Edo Japan does a very filling chicken teriyaki plate, but that's about 575 calories. Other places I go are Extreme Pita (they have their calorie counts right on the display case and many of the small size pitas are under 500), Opa! (the souvlaki and salad is filling - I usually get an extra skewer as well but the regular plate is around 500 calories I think), and Quiznos (similar calorie range to Subway). Those are my go-to places when hubby decides he wants take out!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Google?!?!

Looks like OP might be new to this, so it's understandable that she may be confused/uncertain about what to eat at a restaurant.
  • Airforcechloe
    Airforcechloe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Google?!?!

But it's so much quicker and easier to post your question on a message board and wait for people to respond.

Wait...

Maybe not.

Really could do with the attitude:) this is a discussion post, meant to start a conversation about what other people do for healthy fast food alternatives. No need for trolls thanks.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Google?!?!

Wait...

Maybe not.

Really could do with the attitude:) this is a discussion post, meant to start a conversation about what other people do for healthy fast food alternatives. No need for trolls thanks.

Apologies for my dry sense of humor. I did offer useful advice upthread.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich with no butter and a fruit cup (450). Chick-fil-A cool wrap with a fruit cup (420ish). Panera Half Fuji chicken apple salad (280) with a baguette(180) or apple (60). Yum!