"When a person tells you that you hurt them you don't get to decide you didn't." -Louis CK.

Options
Just a thought for those who were insisting that the gal who felt bullied wasn't actually bullied.

Replies

• Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Being supportive is not mutually exclusive with agreeing with someone. She was offered good advice, that was done in a polite manner, and she felt bullied because no one thought it was a great idea.

I saw the thread she was referring to. She was accused of being a troll and more than one person posted something to the effect of, "This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day."

People showing concern for her choices wasn't what hurt her feelings.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Being supportive is not mutually exclusive with agreeing with someone. She was offered good advice, that was done in a polite manner, and she felt bullied because no one thought it was a great idea.

I saw the thread she was referring to. She was accused of being a troll and more than one person posted something to the effect of, "This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day."

People could have phrased it nicer but it is a ridiculous idea and when something so ridiculous comes up it is expected some will question the posters validity.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Saying an idea is dumb isn't bullying and it is showing concern. If they weren't concerned they wouldn't have said anything
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    There was no bullying in that thread, but apparently it's okay to poke fun at a young pregnant girl.

Sigh.
  • Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just because something wouldn't hurt your feelings doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt the feelings of another person. We have no idea what other people are dealing with. That particular person was suffering the loss of a child. But who cares. If it doesn't meet YOUR particular standards, then she doesn't have any right to her feelings. Sure.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

I said that, and I stand by it.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

People seem to have a way different concept of bullying these days. Everyone who disagrees (especially if the idea is not healthy) is called a bully because they disagree and are trying to save her from medical and mental health issues.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What is this even about?

I feel left out, and I believe that when someone tells you you made them feel left out you don't get to decide you didn't.

j/k ;-) But I am nosy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    anyone got a link to the thread?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Just because something wouldn't hurt your feelings doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt the feelings of another person. We have no idea what other people are dealing with. That particular person was suffering the loss of a child. But who cares. If it doesn't meet YOUR particular standards, then she doesn't have any right to her feelings. Sure.

Hurting someone's feeling does not make the action bullying. Her feelings can be hurt and people accept that but that doesn't mean the other people are being bullys
  • singingflutelady
    Options

She didn't mention that in the thread, she mentioned that afterwards. Still not bullying. Also it's way more hurtful to blindly support her doing something that is potentially dangerous. I rather be thought of as the "mean" person who cared about someone doing something dangerous than the white knight who supports dangerous activities
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What is this even about?

I feel left out, and I believe that when someone tells you you made them feel left out you don't get to decide you didn't.

j/k ;-) But I am nosy.

Someone's feelings were hurt. The end. Or should have been.

PS...Im not condoning hurting peoples' feelings; I just think words on a computer screen shouldn't hold this much power.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What is this even about?

j/k ;-) But I am nosy.

Someone's feelings were hurt. The end. Or should have been.

PS...Im not condoning hurting peoples' feelings; I just think words on a computer screen shouldn't hold this much power.

Just a note the thread got closed by the moderators because of the vcld content.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Especially when they only provide half the relevant info.

Indeed.
This discussion has been closed.