Anyone else quitting sugar?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Ive been on a keto diet for a week and half now. Soooo nooooo sugar and I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world. I have been dreaming about candy

I make my own "candy" and other treats I just use Stevia or Erythritol. You don't have to feel like you're missing out.

So when my friends go out for Ice cream.....I get to stay at home (make my own).....and I'm not missing out. Don't think so.

If you can do this FOREVER good for you. I've done elimination diets.....yet here I am again. It's great to be excited about something.....but a whole week and a half :*
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1eb4BpFItexo3Vx5iAarlkU4spr8Bba3OiSI4c2sDSpYQmUew
    Right?

But seriously OP, sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar, or in fruit.
    Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically the human body digests them exactly the same. Why cut anything out?!
    Cutting out sugar =/= weight loss.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Ive been on a keto diet for a week and half now. Soooo nooooo sugar and I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world. I have been dreaming about candy

I make my own "candy" and other treats I just use Stevia or Erythritol. You don't have to feel like you're missing out.

So when my friends go out for Ice cream.....I get to stay at home (make my own).....and I'm not missing out. Don't think so.

If you can do this FOREVER good for you. I've done elimination diets.....yet here I am again. It's great to be excited about something.....but a whole week and a half :*

I'm not 12, going out for ice cream is not a treat to me lol. So yes, I'm completely content making my own. Your point in bold is exactly what I've said in a previous post. Take breaks and heal your system if need be but if you can't do something forever then re-examine why you are doing it. Also I'm not the one who said I've done keto for only one week.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Right?

But seriously OP, sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar, or in fruit.
    Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically the human body digests them exactly the same. Why cut anything out?!

First off, OP is talking about added sugar. Yes, sugar is sugar but the difference with fruit is that there are other nutrients in fruit. Sugar, no matter the source, is a high GI food. It's spikes your insulin very high and very rapidly. High insulin levels slows weight loss. Persistent high insulin and blood glucose levels can lead to insulin resistance aka T2D. So you're basically saying, well if you wouldn't cut out fruit, why would you cut out sugar? The difference is nutrient density and not spiking your insulin and BG on junk.

• jkwolly
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Right?

First off, OP is talking about added sugar. Yes, sugar is sugar but the difference with fruit is that there are other nutrients in fruit. Sugar, no matter the source, is a high GI food. It's spikes your insulin very high and very rapidly. High insulin levels slows weight loss. Persistent high insulin and blood glucose levels can lead to insulin resistance aka T2D. So you're basically saying, well if you wouldn't cut out fruit, why would you cut out sugar? The difference is nutrient density and not spiking your insulin and BG on junk.
    OP never asked about what's the better option macro/health wise. She simply stated she is quitting sugar for weight loss purposes and wanted anyone to join.
    Why cut something if it doesn't affect weight loss, baring any medical issues?
    It's making better caloric choices that matter. Obviously ice cream is going to have more calories than an apple, so she is losing weight from better choices vs. cutting sugar. If you can successfully lose weight eating the things you enjoy, why wouldn't you do that?
    Totally eliminating items from your diet can lead to binge eating said items.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I'm not 12, going out for ice cream is not a treat to me lol. So yes, I'm completely content making my own. Your point in bold is exactly what I've said in a previous post. Take breaks and heal your system if need be but if you can't do something forever then re-examine why you are doing it. Also I'm not the one who said I've done keto for only one week.

Yes - a week & a half wasn't you. Sorry.

But ice cream was just ONE example. Birthday party - dinner Party - cocktail party - Holiday gatherings......lots of social examples where people ingest (gasp!) carbs.

Lifestyle changes for me are all things in moderation. I'm not fat because I eat carbs....I'm fat because I eat too many CALORIES.

"Heal my system?" Any reliable scientific studies (peer reviewed)?
  • bowlerae
    Options

But ice cream was just ONE example. Birthday party - dinner Party - cocktail party - Holiday gatherings......lots of social examples where people ingest (gasp!) carbs.

Lifestyle changes for me are all things in moderation. I'm not fat because I eat carbs....I'm fat because I eat too many CALORIES.

Do research. It is well documented that VLC diets manage diabetes and reverse pre-diabetes on top of Alzheimers, reduce inflammation, manage anxiety/depression/other mood disorders. Literally so much cited, peer reviewed sources out there.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Whenever I decide to cut out sugar (I've been trying repeatedly to do this, even to the point of changing careers) I end up gaining more through the struggle.

I've decided to live peaceably with my sugar addiction for now. Maybe tackle it when I'm smaller. I've been able to lose weight and still eat sugar. But... just the idea of never eating it again makes me do things I regret, but promise I'll never do again. Over, and over again.
  • bowlerae
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Whenever I decide to cut out sugar (I've been trying repeatedly to do this, even to the point of changing careers) I end up gaining more through the struggle.

I've decided to live peaceably with my sugar addiction for now. Maybe tackle it when I'm smaller. I've been able to lose weight and still eat sugar. But... just the idea of never eating it again makes me do things I regret, but promise I'll never do again. Over, and over again.

I agree if you can't commit to something and it causes you more stress than benefit then it should not be done. But OP feels great. Everyone on here is saying, oh do it in moderation or that they can't sustain it for long. But OP may be someone who could be successful. Only 3 days in so it's likely hard to tell but none of you are encourage that's for sure.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Do research. It is well documented that VLC diets manage diabetes and reverse pre-diabetes on top of Alzheimers, reduce inflammation, manage anxiety/depression/other mood disorders. Literally so much cited, peer reviewed sources out there.

Yeah, but that is not everyone, or not even a majority of people. Why not eat what you like and try to find a way of life and eating that can work long term? Sustainability is a very real concern for people that lose weight. Over 80% gain the weight back, with many gaining even more weight than they lost.

MOST PEOPLE DO NOT NEED TO GIVE UP FOODS THEY LIKE, AND THAT INCLUDES SUGAR.

Moderation of all foods can be key to being successful in losing, and keeping the weight off long term.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    @TeaBea I was not talking about you specifically. I'm talking in general. Quitting sugar, even temporarily, it's a form of BG regulation and detox though it doesn't do much if you replace those sugars with other high GI foods. But for someone who wants to lose more weight, then yes cutting sugar will help, not just for the reduced calorie count but because they are keeping their insulin in check. Insulin is the storage hormone and tells your cells to regulate hormones and fat.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    mgmalek wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Ive eaten no added sugar for three days now; no ice cream, chocolate, lollies, sugary drinks etc. I know this is a great way to lose weight because I've done it before. Is anyone else quitting sugar or wanting to do so? It would be great to keep each other motivated :)

You've done it before, and here you are trying it again. It may have worked for you the first time and it may work for you again. But it obviously wasn't a sustainable way for you to live because if it was, you wouldn't be here trying it for a second time. Losing weight is only one half of the equation. The other half is learning how to maintain your goal weight and in that regard, elimination diets are rarely of any help. If you learn how to moderate your sugar intake now, you'll have a much higher chance of maintaining your goal weight over the long haul.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    @lemurcat12 not my first response but then when people say you absolutely need to consume carbs and you can't sustain a sugar-free diet for long then I have to check them.
    @TeaBea I was not talking about you specifically. I'm talking in general. Quitting sugar, even temporarily, it's a form of BG regulation and detox though it doesn't do much if you replace those sugars with other high GI foods. But for someone who wants to lose more weight, then yes cutting sugar will help, not just for the reduced calorie count but because they are keeping their insulin in check. Insulin is the storage hormone and tells your cells to regulate hormones and fat.

I have to check you now... detox? Really?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 not my first response but then when people say you absolutely need to consume carbs and you can't sustain a sugar-free diet for long then I have to check them.

Fair enough. Personally I think (absent a health reason like some kinds of Crohn or unusual allergies) that a diet without vegetables (i.e., sugar) would be unhealthy, but I agree that it's not the sugar specifically or carbs specifically that are required. It's just that many extremely nutrient-dense foods are mostly carbs.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have to do very low sugar in order to lose or I just wont stick to it. I only cut out the very obvious like soda's, candy, cakes and that sort and I wont do that forever. Just until I can lose some and control the cravings and portions. I still have my macro allowed amount of sugar most of the time but the processed stuff will kill me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

One does not need to eat HFLC to manage diabetes or reverse pre-diabetes. Eating a healthier diet in general (as in not the SAD) and losing weight is going to improve a whole host of disorders, including inflamation, anxiety, and other mood disorders...

Here's where it becomes a cure all and the only cure all...

By the by, I eat very little added sugars...I eat plenty of quality carbohydrates.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Fair enough. Personally I think (absent a health reason like some kinds of Crohn or unusual allergies) that a diet without vegetables (i.e., sugar) would be unhealthy, but I agree that it's not the sugar specifically or carbs specifically that are required. It's just that many extremely nutrient-dense foods are mostly carbs.

OP is talking about added sugar. Obviously table sugar, sweets, etc. I'm not sure to what extent like if she is really talking about looking at the food labels on everything and putting down the jar of tomato sauce, peanut butter, etc that lists added sugar in the ingredients. We are not talking about sugar naturally found in foods particularly fruits and veggies.
  • kshelton957
    kshelton957 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mgmalek wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Ive eaten no added sugar for three days now; no ice cream, chocolate, lollies, sugary drinks etc. I know this is a great way to lose weight because I've done it before. Is anyone else quitting sugar or wanting to do so? It would be great to keep each other motivated :)
    that's awsome! I've lost 22 pound of of cutting back on sugar and better water Intake. I want to cut of process sugar completely and go natural. But is a process. Keep up the good work, you are motivating me.