Depression and no time to exercise!

Options
I can't be the only one depressed with no time to exercise, but has anyone over come this, if so please share your wisdom!! Thank you.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Surely you have 45 minutes 3x a week to exercise. Just wake up a bit earlier?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Chances are you really have some time. Even if it is five minutes at a time. Remember that motivation is more of a side effect of action than a call to action. Just do something even if it is a little bit and you hate it. Chances are you will feel a little better and be able to do more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Can you describe your schedule? We may be able to make a few suggestions.
  • kitten8u
    kitten8u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work 24 hour shifts, am doing a part time uni course and trying to do up a house. I do try to walk as often as I can, but Its no way near enough to be healthy.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Can you describe your schedule? We may be able to make a few suggestions.

This. Typically when people say there is no time, there's always somewhere to squeeze in.

In regards to the depression, are you actively seeking help? I find that running and weight lifting really help my mood stabilize (bipolar). Not the case for everyone, but I'm always glad I did it after, even if I didn't want to in the first place.
  • prettycakesbbw
    prettycakesbbw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    new to the group please add me
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Hey maybe you can try youtube videos some are only 5 to 10 minutes long- just try something you enjoy- dance, zumba, walking, strength training-
  • kitten8u
    Options
    I feel my bf's work maybe the cause of some problems, as he gets up at three in the morning, waking me up, besides sleeping in separate rooms I'm not sure how I can change this, (he doesn't want to change his job.)
  • kitten8u
    Options
    was hopping to get a wii bike but can't find any at the moment. Amazon out of stock!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kitten8u wrote: »
    I feel my bf's work maybe the cause of some problems, as he gets up at three in the morning, waking me up, besides sleeping in separate rooms I'm not sure how I can change this, (he doesn't want to change his job.)

Sleep in separate rooms. With a few short-term exceptions, I've been doing this since the 90s and love it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not absolutely necessary for weight loss, but it can be helpful when trying to manage depression. You don't have to do a full long sessions. Break it apart into three or so 10 minute sessions. What is your schedule? The members here may be able to make some suggestion. I'm sure many have busy lives too and have a few tricks up their sleeves. Are you seeing someone for your depression?
  • kitten8u
    Options
    How many hours per week do you spend walking and working on the house?

Lots of people mistakenly think exercise needs to be done in a gym. Sure, it's easier to get strength training done at a gym, but there's a lot to be said for walking and working on your house. My mom always hovers around Underweight despite doing very little "purposeful exercise". For example, two years ago she scraped, sanded, and painted the entire outside of her house. And she spends a ton of time gardening.
    Im working 48hours a week not including sleeping - I walk to and from work when i can but this is only a short distance, i work in care so its very draining mentally, therefore difficult to find the energy to walk or clean afterwards.

At the moment I've been de-moulding the walls - so mainly painting - which isn't very heart racing.

I do enjoy exercise but I still need time to recharge before my next shift and after doing my uni work.
  • kitten8u
    Options
    Exercise is not absolutely necessary for weight loss, but it can be helpful when trying to manage depression. You don't have to do a full long sessions. Break it apart into three or so 10 minute sessions. What is your schedule? The members here may be able to make some suggestion. I'm sure many have busy lives too and have a few tricks up their sleeves. Are you seeing someone for your depression?

Ive tried talking to family, but they have their own lives to live and would rather not deal with my problems. Im hoping once i finish my course there will be some stress relief.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If your depression is more situational, forcing yourself to exercise might actually help as others have noted. However, if you have clinical depression, please seek professional help. Therapy and/or meds are a must for a lot of people, and nothing to be ashamed of.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If there are stairs in any building you use, take them as needed.
    Is your university work on site or on line?

Maybe your issue is more about food prep and proper nutrition than exercise.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels to suffer from depression and feel like there is no time to exercise. When my little guy was born I had postpartum depression. I love working out, but there were many days where I would talk myself out of doing it. The YouTube video suggestion that was listed above is great. Start with something that doesn't require you to buy anything. I'm also going to HIGHLY suggest you see someone for your depression. It will help tremendously.