Kimchi Anyone??

Options

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    love it. eat it right outta jar. I like to make scrambled eggs over rice with kimchi.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I am seriously making a trip to the store for some kimchi tonight. All the talk about eggs and kimchi is making me hungry. Thanks!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I am Korean so YES! There are many kinds of kimchi, most are familiar with the Chinese cabbage type, but it can be made with dikon, cucumber, and other vegetables.

Kimchi fried rice is delicious!
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lived in Korea for two years and it was a daily addition to my diet. I had never felt so good (digestive/healthwise) while living in Korea. Managed to lose most of my weight and keep it off while there. I was also eating the Korean diet most of the time (rice, fish, veggies). Not sure if kimchi was a contributing factor, but I was doing something right!

My husband, on the other hand, didn't do well with kimchi. I guess if you're sensitive to chillies it might give you problems
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can usually eat it once, and then not again for like 6 months. Sometimes it's just so intense. I also don't really eat rice, so it's not that fun to just eat on it's own or with a piece of meat..for me.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Kimchi and eggs -- that's one I'm going to have to try.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    love Kimchi and make kimchi fried rice. So good, fermented foods are very good for you. It was one of the reasons that many Korean doctors think SARS did not affect Korea
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,093 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy it? Any specific brands recommended?
    I've never had it, currently not supposed to eat peppers/nightshade vegetables, but interested in digestive health. Any kimchi without peppers?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I like it. White rice, kimchi, fried egg :) or just a bite of it as a snack.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Never ought of the sauerkraut with sriracha,good tip! Yes I'm an addict to kimchi, even dragged my husband to the kimchi festival near DC a few years ago, he was a good sport.
  • amadnurse
    amadnurse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love fermented kimchi. Very tasty. It's healthy and very good for your digestive tract too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Pro tip.... if you cant find kimchi, buy sauerkraut and mix in sriracha :)

Not the same thing at all but you've made me curious. So, I'm going to try it just to see what it tastes like and will let you know if I think It merits being a "Pro tip" or not. LOL!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    eku0 wrote: »
    I've never had it, currently not supposed to eat peppers/nightshade vegetables, but interested in digestive health. Any kimchi without peppers?

i make my own usually but in a pinch or lazy i really like the brand "mother in laws".
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    H-Mart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Caputo's or Mariano's or Standard Market (Chicago area only), or similar supermarkets/health food/Asian stores are good places to look for kimchi. We also have a large Asian population in the Chicago burbs, so there are a lot of little mom & pop Asian grocery stores around. I don't think kimchi is really kimchi without the hot peppers, so you might have to stick with sauerkraut. BTW, if you've never had fresh homemade sauerkraut, it's nothing like the awful stuff you get from a can or a bag.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

i make my own usually but in a pinch or lazy i really like the brand "mother in laws".

I like mother in laws also. I'm going to look into making my own. Do you have any recipes you like?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Pro tip.... if you cant find kimchi, buy sauerkraut and mix in sriracha :)

Not the same thing at all but you've made me curious. So, I'm going to try it just to see what it tastes like and will let you know if I think It merits being a "Pro tip" or not. LOL!

Obviously not the same thing, but very close and for those who cant find it, pretty good substitute ;)

So, I just tried this w/my homemade sauerkraut.

The taste of the siraccha simply ovewhelms and dominates any flavor from the sauerkraut (even the carraway seeds in mine). So, you just get the taste of the siraccha and texture of the kraut, which is NOT the same as traditional kimchi.

I guess you could use it a pinch as a sub for kimchi and it could fool a kimchi novice but, for those more experienced, it will definitely lack the look and taste nuance of traditional kimchi made w/napa cabbage or bok choy w/gochugaru chiki flakes, fish sauce, Asian pear (or sugar), ginger, garlic, daikon and scallions.

So, I wouldn't serve it plain on a plate as banchan or a garnish for a main course, but could see it working as a condiment on a hot dog or sandwich, where you couldn't immediately tell by looking that it's not really kimchi and where the blend of other flavors from the meat or other ingredients would also hide the fact that it's not really kimchi.

A useful tip if you need to resort to it but I don't think any "pro" would use it where "real" kimchi is called for an expected.

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

not all peppers are from the nightshade family only bell peppers. Get Kimchi that is in the refrigerator section or at the Asian market. Kimchi by its very nature has peppers in it
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    Cool to know but is it good for us ?

No food is good or bad in itself. I all has to do with how much you eat of it within the context of your whole diet. The only exception is food that makes you sick because of allergies or intolerances. Kimchi is delicious, it is made of cabbage, so it has a good amount of fiber and nutrients. Take that for what it is worth. If you like it, eat it. If you don't, don't start just because it is something that is supposed to be "healthy" or "clean".