Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Christine_72 wrote: »
    We use the F word for cigarettes too. And we have a very popular brand of cheese who's name people find very racist, its C**n. I actually had an American friend ask me about it when she saw it in my diary

OMG - lucky I stopped smoking a lifetime ago - because that certainly was the appreviated name for the smoke -- and as per the cheese -- well - it was just the most popular cheese and it still exists - I never realised or more precise - I never thought about it - that our popular Brand of Cheese - is actually a negative name elsewhere -- mm -- I wonder if they will eventually rename the cheese brand name

I must know what cheese you speak of...

C.. Oo.. N
    (derogatory term for Aboriginal Australians - not sure if it's used elsewhere?)
    It's an old term used here too. But here they would have changed the name by now.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here, it's primarily short for "raccoon." For instance, no one says "raccoon hunting" or "raccoon dogs." We remove the "rac."

Its use as a racial slur for African Americans is outdated enough and its use as a term for the ring-tailed critter is commonplace enough that I wouldn't expect anyone to think of it as a slur unless it was expressly used as such.
    For instance, if you told me "there's a coon on the front porch." I would assume that we have a pest control issue and not that you're a racist trying to tell me there's someone at the door.

I imagine that if that particular cheese were available here there would be some backlash over the name just because everything that could potentially be taken as racially offensive will be...but at the same time, if they used a raccoon as their mascot I almost think they could possibly get away with it.

On that note though, we have a candy that comes out around Christmas, sort of a coconut truffle thing (coconut candy coated in chocolate), and I've heard elderly people refer to them as "n***** toes."

ETA: apparently MFP doesn't think of it as a slur either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Here, it's primarily short for "raccoon." For instance, no one says "raccoon hunting" or "raccoon dogs." We remove the "rac."

Its use as a racial slur for African Americans is outdated enough and its use as a term for the ring-tailed critter is commonplace enough that I wouldn't expect anyone to think of it as a slur unless it was expressly used as such.
    For instance, if you told me "there's a coon on the front porch." I would assume that we have a pest control issue and not that you're a racist trying to tell me there's someone at the door.

I imagine that if that particular cheese were available here there would be some backlash over the name just because everything that could potentially be taken as racially offensive will be...but at the same time, if they used a raccoon as their mascot I almost think they could possibly get away with it.

On that note though, we have a candy that comes out around Christmas, sort of a coconut truffle thing (coconut candy coated in chocolate), and I've heard elderly people refer to them as "n***** toes."

Really!?! Here, that last "toe" one is an outdated, no longer-used (AFAIK) term for brazil nuts. I remember hearing it in my childhood (half a century ago ;) ).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

ETA: apparently MFP doesn't think of it as a slur either

I thought that had been addressed some time ago. The singular was blocked, but the plural was getting through. @Alex can the plural of this word be added to the filth filter?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That was a common term for brazil nuts back in the day too. I recall my step-grandmother (back in the '70s) telling me that some of her relatives called it that but that we should not. At the time I didn't even know what the n-word meant so found the whole thing really confusing.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I thought that had been addressed some time ago. The singular was blocked, but the plural was getting through. @Alex can the plural of this word be added to the filth filter?

Sorry, I meant that "coon" wasn't filtered. I didn't try to type the N word.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options

Again a regional thing. I think it is only outdated due to it not being socially acceptable to be racist. I think if you get in a community where they are not so progressive, it would be a very common slur.
    My grandfather used to call Brazil nuts n****r toes. Until I was around 5 that's what I thought they were called by everyone. Until my mom heard me say n****r toes were my favorite nut. She about had a stroke. I learned a lesson not to repeat thing my grandfather says.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Really!?! Here, that last "toe" one is an outdated, no longer-used (AFAIK) term for brazil nuts. I remember hearing it in my childhood (half a century ago ;) ).

Yeah, when my brother-in-law moved to SW Ohio from Eastern Kentucky and heard the term used for the candy he was all confused because his grandparents had used the term for brazil nuts as well. Maybe it was a regional thing.
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2017
    Options

Again a regional thing. I think it is only outdated due to it not being socially acceptable to be racist. I think if you get in a community where they are not so progressive, it would be a very common slur.
    My grandfather used to call Brazil nuts n****r toes. Until I was around 5 that's what I thought they were called by everyone. Until my mom heard me say n****r toes were my favorite nut. She about had a stroke. I learned a lesson not to repeat thing my grandfather says.

Could be.
    But I would imagine that even in the deep south where racial slurs are less frowned upon that it would still be used most often to refer to raccoons...
    Do people in some areas actually think of it as a slur even when it's not directed towards a person?

Sort of like if the term in Australia was "roo" instead. I would think it would only be recognized as a slur when directed towards a person and not when referring to kangaroos.

ETA: I am in no way defending the use of slurs. Only questioning whether or not this word is perceived as one when not expressly used as such.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options

Could be.
    But I would imagine that even in the deep south where racial slurs are less frowned upon that it would still be used most often to refer to raccoons...
    Do people in some areas actually think of it as a slur even when it's not directed towards a person?

Sort of like if the term in Australia was "roo" instead. I would think it would only be recognized as a slur when directed towards a person and not when referring to kangaroos.

ETA: I am in no way defending the use of slurs. Only questioning whether or not this word is perceived as one when not expressly used as such.

I do not live in the South. But I have never heard anyone not from the South reference a raccoon any way but raccoon. So if you say the shorter word. My first thought would be it was a slur. I will say I live in a very liberal, very butthurt part of our country. So yeah I guess I am easily buthurt. Lol
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ah, sorry. It was an issue a while back. Obviously not something I've tried typing in either.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Could be.

I do not live in the South. But I have never heard anyone not from the South reference a raccoon any way but raccoon. So if you say the shorter word. My first thought would be it was a slur. I will say I live in a very liberal, very butthurt part of our country. So yeah I guess I am easily buthurt. Lol

I'm not in the South either. Maybe shortening "raccoon" is a regional thing too, though. *shrugs*
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options

Ah, sorry. It was an issue a while back. Obviously not something I've tried typing in either.

Thanks for tagging me in to make sure the plural version of racial slurs were in our filter.

I understand how the conversation naturally diverted here and appreciate that people are referencing language from historical contexts but I want to encourage folks to move on from the current topic of racially offensive names for items.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    To get us back on track... :)

"Broiling" is something I was thinking about last night. It wasn't a word I was familiar with before emigrating, and due to the similarity with the word "boiling" I figured it meant the same thing. Good job I looked it up before I tried doing that with a recipe! Turns out that broiling is what I'd call grilling.

To me (a Brit), "grilling" is what you do under the grill of your oven, i.e. the top heating element, which is a broiler on this side of the Pond. Grilling to North Americans seems to refer almost exclusively to cooking on an outdoor grill (something they do even when it's below freezing in Canada!), which is what I'd refer to as "barbecuing".

To add to the confusion, a "grilled cheese sandwich" is not cooked under the grill/broiler (like a toasted cheese sandwich, which I used to make often in the UK), but is instead spread with butter on the outsides and cooked in a frying pan.

Which, by the way, is called a "skillet".

Argh!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

"Broiling" is something I was thinking about last night. It wasn't a word I was familiar with before emigrating, and due to the similarity with the word "boiling" I figured it meant the same thing. Good job I looked it up before I tried doing that with a recipe! Turns out that broiling is what I'd call grilling.

To me (a Brit), "grilling" is what you do under the grill of your oven, i.e. the top heating element, which is a broiler on this side of the Pond. Grilling to North Americans seems to refer almost exclusively to cooking on an outdoor grill (something they do even when it's below freezing in Canada!), which is what I'd refer to as "barbecuing".

To add to the confusion, a "grilled cheese sandwich" is not cooked under the grill/broiler (like a toasted cheese sandwich, which I used to make often in the UK), but is instead spread with butter on the outsides and cooked in a frying pan.

Argh!

Exactly the same here!
    I think i mentioned it before, but i was always perplexed why Americans BOIL their meat :confounded: Until i googled Broiling.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    In the US we have jam and jelly they are two separate spreads. Jam has seeds made from strawberry, blackberry ect. Jelly is smooth and usually grapes or plumbs. We are very technical with food and names here. Lol

The difference between jelly and jam is that jelly is made strictly from the juice of fruit while jam is made from crushed fruit. Specifically, jelly is made by crushing fruit, then straining out everything but the juice.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    In the US we have jam and jelly they are two separate spreads. Jam has seeds made from strawberry, blackberry ect. Jelly is smooth and usually grapes or plumbs. We are very technical with food and names here. Lol

The difference between jelly and jam is that jelly is made strictly from the juice of fruit while jam is made from crushed fruit. Specifically, jelly is made by crushing fruit, then straining out everything but the juice.

bd60ba234127620a7f58699091e3adbc.jpg
    many-soft-spreads.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

bd60ba234127620a7f58699091e3adbc.jpg
    many-soft-spreads.jpg

Here's the difference between jam and jelly:
    Jelly clumps up and won't spread properly on bread while jam spreads smoothly over the softest of breads for a perfect pb&j.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Argh!

Barbecue is a particular type of food. Slow cooked meat (either grilled (as in on a grill) or smoked) coated with (or dipped in) barbecue sauce. To barbecue is to prepare such food. Barbecuing can be a type of grilling but isn't always. Likewise, not all grilling is barbecuing (I.e. Burgers are not barbecue and thus they are grilled, not barbecued).

A barbecue can also be a gathering/party centered around preparing and eating barbecue. The same type of gathering which involves grilling non-barbecue food (burgers and hotdogs) is called grilling out.

I take BBQ very seriously.

And I use frying pan and skillet interchangeably.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Argh!

Barbecue is a particular type of food. Slow cooked meat (either grilled (as in on a grill) or smoked) coated with (or dipped in) barbecue sauce. To barbecue is to prepare such food. Barbecuing can be a type of grilling but isn't always. Likewise, not all grilling is barbecuing (I.e. Burgers are not barbecue and thus they are grilled, not barbecued).

A barbecue can also be a gathering/party centered around preparing and eating barbecue. The same type of gathering which involves grilling non-barbecue food (burgers and hotdogs) is called grilling out.

I take BBQ very seriously.

And I use frying pan and skillet interchangeably.

See, it's all just WAY too complicated! "Grilling out" is also a whole new term for me...

And now I want a burger. Thanks a bunch, Carlos! ;)