Vegetarian in keto?

Options
Am I the only one crazy enough to attept this!? A friend got me hooked on ketosis. I LOVE IT. My only hurdle is that im a vegetarian. It makes it harder but worth it. I was diagnosed with pcos and have had amazing positive bennifits since starting ketosis. I just wanted to introduce myself and make some keto friends. Some vegetarian friends or just some positive support :)

Replies

• nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Stick with it no matter what people say. Being a vegetarian is of course difficult in ketosis which you should be getting your high protein from lean meat and eggs. You can get your protein thru Greek yogurt, nuts etc. It's hard to be a vegetarian and doing a keto diet at the same time.
    I've seen a lot of overweight vegetarians unfortunately because of the high carbs in their diet.
    Good luck to you.
  • jenniferrayner44
    jenniferrayner44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Also vegetarian and going keto. Menopause has hit me like a ton of bricks and old school dieting isn't helping. I think my biggest confusion in the mixed info on counting calories. No clue what to do. How do you handle it?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I believe there are a few vegetarian low carb dieters over on the low carb forum who could offer some insight to how they manage. There are a decent amout of vegetarian protein and fat sources that fit keto (eggs, assuming you eat eggs, and full fat dairy being the obvious, but also seeds and nuts/nut butters).

I've been eating low carb (not necesarily keto, but usually around 50-80g per day) for three and a half years. Lost 50 lbs in seven months and have maintained that ever since. I'm not vegetarian tho, so I can't offer any real advice there. I never really counted calories except the occasional spot check (and have never weighed or measured food at all), but I found my hunger cues are more reliable on a high fat diet than they ever were when getting more carbs (even the so called "good carbs"). But if your loss slows or stops, logging and limiting calories is always an option.

Good luck!!
  • purplesque
    purplesque Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Another vegetarian here- lacto, no ovo. It's doable, but you have to up carbs a bit- my goal is to stay close to 75. Not sure if that is considered Keto, but I'm losing weight! Would love some veg low carb friends.
  • TheNewAdventuresofDanni
    Options
    I'm ovo-vegetarian, and I'm going to try starting keto. What do your macros look like? I'm confused for percentages for protein and fat...
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian and do low-carb and sometimes I do keto for periods of time. I am going to put this link here because this is a much more supportive place: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • purplesque
    purplesque Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My macros for now are 88 gm protein, 93 gram fat, and 53 net carbs. I'm 200 lbs (down 6 lbs yay!) and doing cardio 20-25 minutes daily.
  • perfectjewel
    perfectjewel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan (honestly, I probably eat 25 grams a day protein if I'm lucky, but my body is very happy), so vegetarian seems like it would be easy to go keto! Eggs, fish, dairy... And you can eat lots of vegetables - don't discount that vegetables have protein!! You got this!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    That's awesome! Stick with it no matter what people say. Being a vegetarian is of course difficult in ketosis which you should be getting your high protein from lean meat and eggs. You can get your protein thru Greek yogurt, nuts etc. It's hard to be a vegetarian and doing a keto diet at the same time.
    I've seen a lot of overweight vegetarians unfortunately because of the high carbs in their diet.
    Good luck to you.

No, you've seen overweight vegetarians because they consume more calories than they burn. Carbs don't make you gain weight if you're in a caloric deficit. Anybody who's knowledgeable about keto will tell you that you still have to establish and maintain a caloric deficit to lose weight - keto is not magic and does not defy the laws of energy conservation.

I've been my highest weight and lowest weight as a vegetarian. And guess what? it had nothing to do with the amount of carbs i was eating.