Lose 40lbs - 42lbs in 4 months

Options
Hi all, previously I was on a weight loss journey but fell off the wagon for the past 6 months. Now I'm trying to get back in shape! :)

I currently weigh 200 lbs. and am 5'6"

Is it possible to lose 42lbs in four months?

Has anyone lost 40-42lbs in 4 months?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That would be aggressive. I am the same height and started at 202.5 lbs. I lost 26.5 pounds from Jan 1 through Mar 30. That was about 2 pounds per week on average. I didn't count calories at that time so I have no idea how much I was eating but I rarely felt more hungry than "oh, it's dinner time" kind of hunger.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster right before me. A more realistic goal would probably be .5 to 1 pound per week, or somewhere in the 8-16 pound range.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    That's probably too fast. Try giving yourself at least 10 months.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Possible - but not in a healthy way. My advice would be to pick a reasonable goal - eat at a deficit and get some movement in. Patience will be your friend.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Like even if you lose quickly at first the max I would expect is 2 pounds per week but really I wouldn't set your weight loss rate for any more than 1 pound per week if you really want to do this right and stick with it and keep the weight off. But your compliance probably won't be perfect and weight loss slows down the closer you get to your goal and the longer you've been in a deficit.

Realistically you're looking at probably a year - and that's ok! What's the rush anyways??
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The maximum recommended rate of weight loss would give you 32-34 pounds in 4 months...and you probably wouldn't want to be that aggressive as you get closer to your goal weight.

If you went with a pound a week you'd lose 16 in that amount of time. I understand the desire to get going as quickly as possible, it can be motivating to see the numbers drop but really in the long run it doesn't matter how long it takes, it matters how long it lasts.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have heard that maintenance is harder than losing, so why rush? The process will keep you going and will help you learn so much. Give yourself a pound a week and then anything more is just a bonus.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Too aggressive for your current stats. I know you really want to lose quickly to be ready for summer clothing but I think you'll be much happier going more slowly and being able to stick with it.

Best of luck.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My advice: keep the goal of losing the weight, but drop the deadline. I'm also 5'6", and it took me 5 months to lose about 25 lbs last year (from 185 to 160). That's probably more realistic for you as well.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm w/@magbird1103- very similar. I did it too. I've stayed right near 1200, and power walking 45 minutes a day, almost every day. You'd have to be diligent. I also lost a big whoosh at the beginning so that helped the weekly average. Also I started significantly higher than you at 230. I'm still plugging away...I'm at 50 gone now. When I get into normal bmi I'll transition to slower pace. By the way there is NO research saying slow is better (assuming you're getting a minimum cals and nutrition) but it is what the common vibe is here. Fast losers keep it off just as much as slow losers (ie both can re-gain; both can maintain- that's not the decider). Knock it out!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I'm w/@magbird1103- very similar. I did it too. I've stayed right near 1200, and power walking 45 minutes a day, almost every day. You'd have to be diligent. I also lost a big whoosh at the beginning so that helped the weekly average. Also I started significantly higher than you at 230. I'm still plugging away...I'm at 50 gone now. When I get into normal bmi I'll transition to slower pace. By the way there is NO research saying slow is better (assuming you're getting a minimum cals and nutrition) but it is what the common vibe is here. Fast losers keep it off just as much as slow losers (ie both can re-gain; both can maintain- that's not the decider). Knock it out!

The reason we say slower loss is better is because with fast loss you're more likely to lose muscle mass (which lowers metabolism, making maintenance harder) and have negative health effects- especially if not being aware of nutrition and not getting enough protein (which is hard to do on a low calorie intake). Also statistically those that lose fast with extreme or unsustainable measures tend to regain it and those who tend to lose slower and make lifestyle changes keep it off.

Great job on being one of the few fast losers who are able to have success and no negative side effects!! Great job on your progress :)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I echo MagBird and NewGemini.

I dropped over 25 lbs over the first 9 weeks and reached the upper end of my normal bmi. And like Mag, I ate unrestrictly, always at a buffet for me, almost every week. I counted calories for the first 3 months and then stopped as I have worked out my intake/spending equation. What I had (have) going for me is competitive tennis and a no nonsense personality. I don't like and can't tolerate gym type exercise but I can play tennis with people for hours.

I wouldn't say the process was no fun. There's work. It was pleasant enough as I have worked out a lot of concerns going in. In fact foods have become much more interesting/tastier than they were when I was very overweight. Make sense when you are healthier and eating on body's needs.

I find that you can lose as fast/much as you can possibly gain in a period of time. It's your dedication that's usually the issue.
  • alorathexplora
    alorathexplora Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my goal almost to the T, it's VERY doable but it's gonna take a lot. I've been meal prepping 0 workouts and have already lost 6 pounds in a matter of days... Its crazy just HOW much clean eating and drinking water can really change your life... YOU'VE got this. Do everything at your own pace because anything is possible.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think it's way too aggressive. I lost 24 of the 30lbs i had to lose in 4mths, and i was quite chuffed at the speed i lost it at :smiley:
  • jemhh
    Options
    I am curious - - why 4 months?
  • jemhh
    Options
    This is my goal almost to the T, it's VERY doable but it's gonna take a lot. I've been meal prepping 0 workouts and have already lost 6 pounds in a matter of days... Its crazy just HOW much clean eating and drinking water can really change your life... YOU'VE got this. Do everything at your own pace because anything is possible.

you do know thats water weight right? and not fat loss .....

And that the rate off loss will slow down after the first few weeks. We're not trying to discourage you but be aware that this rate of loss will not stay constant.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Sure it's possible. A better question is 'Is it wise?' The answer to that for someone with your stats is No.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss