Portion control

Options
2»

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If dinner is your largest meal, then eat less during the day you'll save calories and won't go over your cals with dinner. Don't expect to eat large meals all day and then also expect dinner to be large as well
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I definitely use my food scale to help with portions and also prelog my meals so I can see whether the foods I have planned fit within my daily goals. If I see that I am going to be over in one of the categories, I swap one or more of my planned foods out for something else until it balances. Entering at the beginning of the day (or the night before) makes it easier to control. If I am going out for a meal I plan the other two to be on the really light side to offset any splurges.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I like a large dinner as well. I get a large dinner by having an entire steam-in-bag of veggies to go with whatever else I'm eating. My favorites are broccoli and green beans.

I also use the same veggies, has helped me greatly and fills you up.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So I've gotten a lot better about what I eat, now I need help with how much. I think this is why I'm not losing weight. I eat large dinners.

Any suggestions or tips?

I fully understand, you have to just " bite the bullet" weigh, measure, log, to stay within your calories. Then walk away from the table. I also take time for myself when I eat, I don't always eat with my husband anymore some days I just need to sit even by the tv and just enjoy whatever I have.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I weigh measure and log everything i eat and drink, but i also use a smaller plate to make it look like a full dinner
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything and don't cook too much thinking you'll "save" some for the next day (I always end up scarfing the lot). I'm also a big portion girl so I basically cut my normal portions by a third and then pad out the plate with nominal cal veg, ie if I have curry I'll shove it on a bed of raw baby spinach, I'll serve pasta or risotto with a big garden salad (obvs be careful of salad dressing), I swap out mash potatoes for swede & carrot mash and swap potato wedges for butternut squash wedges sprayed with oil seasoned and baked in the oven. I also save as many cals as I can for my evening meal so have soup for lunch. Also you can pad out a plate with things like steamed asparagus, brocolli, green beans, carrots etc Just always make sure to weigh everything.

Also even though I eat meat and things like chicken and fish fit in fine with my cals, I swap out red meat and sausages for vegetarian and vegan alternatives ie quorn and linda mccartney vegetarian sausages. (they're surprisingly good)
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Part of it is psychological. Your mind thinks you need that much food at dinner because that's what you're used to eating to feel full. Recondition your thinking and you'll realize you don't need that much. It's not easy...good luck.
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use my kid's baby plates. I have not used a normal sized plate in years
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    IF you look at older dish sets and glassware you'll notice that plates and glasses used to be smaller.
    I got the "Fruit and cereal" bowls that match my dishes, so people weren't eating cereal out of pasta bowls and soup plates.
    I bought a set of 7-ounce juice glasses like my grandma had, and that's a serving of juice (and the kids split a can of pop if we have "fancy drinks" with dinner).
    I have a set of pyrex custard cups and that's what we have ice cream in.

All those things allow you to have a full plate or cup and yet not have a ridiculous serving. IT makes me realize how much things have changed, that I grew up in a world where these plates and cups were "normal," and now everyone thinks they're "tiny."