Whole Foods- Plant based diet

Options

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've seen that 'documentary,' as well as most of the others floating around, and just be careful to take them with a grain of salt. They're made with a definite agenda-to sell something. In the case of the Forks over Knives people-they sell books, online 'cooking' lessons ($350) and things like lectures that start at $300 for a one day event. So yeah, that raises all sorts of red flags.

Forks Over Knives is based on the research of the greatest nutritional study ever conducted, The China Study, by Dr. Campbell. While this is my opinion, it is also the opinion of the scientific community in biochemistry, and nutritional studies around the world. To say that this documentary was intended to sell material things and not some the greatest health information available is kind of sad. With all the confusing information about nutrition, this data should be everyone's duty to explore themselves and make their own judgements. Keeping an open mind is critical in uncovering information about our health and science. You can always the deny evidence, it's easy, many people do not want to change habits. They don't want to be told eating animals isn't necessary, or much more, making them sick.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've seen that 'documentary,' as well as most of the others floating around, and just be careful to take them with a grain of salt. They're made with a definite agenda-to sell something. In the case of the Forks over Knives people-they sell books, online 'cooking' lessons ($350) and things like lectures that start at $300 for a one day event. So yeah, that raises all sorts of red flags.

Forks Over Knives is based on the research of the greatest nutritional study ever conducted, The China Study, by Dr. Campbell. While this is my opinion, it is also the opinion of the scientific community in biochemistry, and nutritional studies around the world. To say that this documentary was intended to sell material things and not some the greatest health information available is kind of sad. With all the confusing information about nutrition, this data should be everyone's duty to explore themselves and make their own judgements. Keeping an open mind is critical in uncovering information about our health and science. You can always the deny evidence, it's easy, many people do not want to change habits. They don't want to be told eating animals isn't necessary, or much more, making them sick.

Yeah, read that book too, not going to go there :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You should actually look into that a bit more...that study has been much criticized...

I do eat a primarily whole foods diet and I eat animals...and I am very healthy. I started out not so much but took my LDL from 160s to 90...HDL from 25 to 55...pre-diabetic blood glucose levels are now normal...etc, etc, etc...please tell me again how I'm killing myself by eating animals...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    live2dream wrote: »
    It's funny when people say it's propaganda. It's facts. The trillion dollar meat and dairy industry is the real propaganda. You can't turn on the TV or walk/drive down the street without being inundated with ads promoting it, and then the next commercial is pharmaceuticals. Why are people so sick? Hmmmm I wonder. Hint: it's not the plant foods.

I have a group on here - Happy herbivores. The only thing we sell is good vibes - for free :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Feel free to join for advice. We'd love to have you. :smile:

people are sick for a number of reason genetics, poor lifestyle decisions, poor nutrition, obesity, lack of movement; etc. Trying to pin it down solely on meat consumption is ludicrous...
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's funny when people say it's propaganda. It's facts. The trillion dollar meat and dairy industry is the real propaganda. You can't turn on the TV or walk/drive down the street without being inundated with ads promoting it, and then the next commercial is pharmaceuticals. Why are people so sick? Hmmmm I wonder. Hint: it's not the plant foods.

I have a group on here - Happy herbivores. The only thing we sell is good vibes - for free :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that going plant-based or vegan is some sort of insurance against illness or that people who are sick should be blamed for their illnesses. Virginia Messina says it better than I do (as usual).

"Disease shaming alienates and ostracizes people. Vegans may be afraid to share their diagnosis with others. They may not ask for much-needed support because they worry about feeling judged. Some may be reluctant to admit that they have chosen conventional treatment for their cancer instead of trying to cure it through some raw, low-fat, alkaline, whole foods vegan diet. But, there is no evidence that any particular diet, whole foods plant-based or otherwise, can cure cancer. Believe it or not (sorry, Hippocrates) sometimes you have to let medicine be thy medicine."

http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/12/vegan-diets-cancer-and-disease-shaming.html

I've read a couple of her books and while I'm not a vegan I really respect her. Solid stuff :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

opinions are like you know what, and I am sure for every opinion you are citing there is one citing the exact opposite...
  • BCullari
    BCullari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I watched a documentary called "Forks over Knives" on Netflix which inspired me to switch to a plant based diet. How do you go about switching to that lifestyle? Do you make gradual changes or just dive right in? I have some health problems and think this change could possibly cure them. Any advice?

I eat mostly plant foods, but no way am I going to give up meat.
    70% of my calories are from plants. Close enough....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so basically pork, chicken, fish, etc are all bad for you now?????????
  • powwlita
    powwlita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went vegan overnight. I have made mistakes and even "paused" the veganism when I went on vacation in Europe. I love the Forks over Knives doc and I try to eat as closely as I can to this. I would start with small things, like switching from milk to a plant milk. Doing Meatless days, then eventually vegan days. One of the biggest things I took away from FOK is that you don't need to cook with oil/fat, even on a vegan diet. I "fry" and sauté with water or broth and it tastes just as good. I don't hit the 80/10/10 macros, but I try to eat as whole-food plant-based as I can.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What I find quite humorous is that the vegans are telling us we're killing ourselves with meat...

The keto crowd tells us we're killing ourselves with carbs...

Religious fringe dieting much?

Spoiler alert: We're all gonna die.
  • powwlita
    powwlita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also, know the reasons why you'd want to go plant based. Some meat eaters are hella touchy and feel personally offended that you don't eat meat or dairy anymore. I went vegan for the animals. The health benefits are an added bonus.

• Leslierussell4134
    Options

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that going plant-based or vegan is some sort of insurance against illness or that people who are sick should be blamed for their illnesses. Virginia Messina says it better than I do (as usual).

"Disease shaming alienates and ostracizes people. Vegans may be afraid to share their diagnosis with others. They may not ask for much-needed support because they worry about feeling judged. Some may be reluctant to admit that they have chosen conventional treatment for their cancer instead of trying to cure it through some raw, low-fat, alkaline, whole foods vegan diet. But, there is no evidence that any particular diet, whole foods plant-based or otherwise, can cure cancer. Believe it or not (sorry, Hippocrates) sometimes you have to let medicine be thy medicine."

I've read a couple of her books and while I'm not a vegan I really respect her. Solid stuff :)

There actually is evidence that certain foods slow down the various stages of cancer development, there most certainly is. You said you read the book, but don't want to go there for whatever reason. That is precisely the research that many doctors have to acknowledge when assessing treatment of certain cancers. I'm not saying I don't respect anyone's decision for eating an omnivorous diet, however I am a woman of science and I cannot deny the evidence. Animal proteins have been found to increase the rate and mass of certain cancers. Plant protein has been shown to slow and haunt growth at various stages...I'm doing it...I'm citing Dr. Campbell book, The China Study.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    powwlita wrote: »
    Also, know the reasons why you'd want to go plant based. Some meat eaters are hella touchy and feel personally offended that you don't eat meat or dairy anymore. I went vegan for the animals. The health benefits are an added bonus.

fixed it for you
  • ndj1979
    Options

There actually is evidence that certain foods slow down the various stages of cancer development, there most certainly is. You said you read the book, but don't want to go there for whatever reason. That is precisely the research that many doctors have to acknowledge when assessing treatment of certain cancers. I'm not saying I don't respect anyone's decision for eating an omnivorous diet, however I am a woman of science and I cannot deny the evidence. Animal proteins have been found to increase the rate and mass of certain cancers. Plant protein has been shown to slow and haunt growth at various stages...I'm doing it...I'm citing Dr. Campbell book, The China Study.

so your lone citation is one book that has been debunked?
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options

You should actually look into that a bit more...that study has been much criticized...

I do eat a primarily whole foods diet and I eat animals...and I am very healthy. I started out not so much but took my LDL from 160s to 90...HDL from 25 to 55...pre-diabetic blood glucose levels are now normal...etc, etc, etc...please tell me again how I'm killing myself by eating animals...

It's will always be criticized, always. It's not popular to tell someone their food choices may be hurting their health. However, I'm not saying you can't be perfectly healthy eating meat...for a while.
    I do however say that with the population inceasing, meat and animal agricultural is not sustainable...period. The health evidence, the UN report concerning global warming and fact that we don't need animal product to thrive as humans is good enough for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    powwlita wrote: »

fixed it for you

Although it is rare in my experience, I have encountered some non-vegans who do seem personally offended by my veganism or feel as if it is something that is directed at them. Some people, meat-eaters or no, are "hella touchy" and make things about them when they aren't. For those reasons, anyone who is making a decision who goes against the norm may want to be able to easily articulate why they chose to do so (or just decline to answer questions, not everything has to be up for debate).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

It's will always be criticized, always. It's not popular to tell someone their food choices may be hurting their health. However, I'm not saying you can't be perfectly healthy eating meat...for a while.
    I do however say that with the population inceasing, meat and animal agricultural is not sustainable...period. The health evidence, the UN report concerning global warming and fact that we don't need animal product to thrive as humans is good enough for me.

Do you really believe people who eat vegan or plant-based diets do not get ill/sick/diseased?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

It's been criticized by the actual scientific community...not just "people"...you need to do a little more research.

soapbox.gif

My great grandpa ate meat...he died at 101 of simple old age...news flash...we've been eating meat for millions of years. That's great if you're all about the animals but just stop with your fear mongering bull *kitten* and get off your soap box.