Going back vegan

Options
2»

Replies

• amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Give me a break what is your source. Are you offended? Are you vegan?

Janejellyroll is a vegan and she's one of the nicest, most common sense posters here on MFP. I'm not a vegan but she's right-the term vegan has ethical implications that go beyond food choices.

(edited for clarity)

I did not say it did not have other implications. I said many people used the terms interchangeable. And I just feel since this is a food and nutrition thread we can assume we are speaking of a vegan diet and leave advocating to other conversations.

We could assume that, but I don't see the harm of distinguishing between a plant-based diet and an ethical opposition to animal exploitation (which will include a plant-based diet).

I do see the harm in eroding the meaning of "vegan" to include people who have no objection to animal exploitation. Since that is specifically what was being advocated above by another poster, I'm fine with addressing it.

I stand corrected, I'm happily plant-based dieting. And fully support the wearing of leather, use of honey, the eating of steak, etc.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    By eating all the things you don't eat now and none of the things you do eat now.

Also, I'm not sure food poisoning is a great reason to go vegan. Going vegan is typically done out of moral convictions regarding the treatment of animals.

Going Vegan isn't just about treatment of animals, it can be for global and humanity reasons. Yes I chose to be vegan because I do love the creatures of this earth. But I love my fellow man more, and eating animals is killing the earth, exacerbating climate change and not sustainable. We are an intelligent species, we are in the age of understanding, which says we do not need to eat animals or their byproducts to live and thrive. The science is there.
    I know going 0 to vegan is completely possible, however, the increase in fiber right away can cause some real discomfort. If you're eating mostly animal products now, you're likely like the rest of the Standard American dieters and getting 18 or less grams of fiber per day. Be careful increasing that quickly. I had really bad cramps and bloating for 2 weeks until my gut adjusted. Going Vegan is the best thing you can do for your health, the health of your fellow man, and the future of this planet.
    Read the China Study, you won't regret your decision and it will give you the scientific facts to make the Vegan decision everyday.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Janejellyroll is a vegan and she's one of the nicest, most common sense posters here on MFP. I'm not a vegan but she's right-the term vegan has ethical implications that go beyond food choices.

(edited for clarity)

I did not say it did not have other implications. I said many people used the terms interchangeable. And I just feel since this is a food and nutrition thread we can assume we are speaking of a vegan diet and leave advocating to other conversations.

We could assume that, but I don't see the harm of distinguishing between a plant-based diet and an ethical opposition to animal exploitation (which will include a plant-based diet).

I do see the harm in eroding the meaning of "vegan" to include people who have no objection to animal exploitation. Since that is specifically what was being advocated above by another poster, I'm fine with addressing it.

I stand corrected, I'm happily plant-based dieting. And fully support the wearing of leather, use of honey, the eating of steak, etc.

I'm glad you found a way of eating that you enjoy.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    hey i am vegan also! feel free to add me :0 congradulations :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

i am fully offended.. mostly annoyed when people call themselves vegan when they are not doing it for ethical reasons, as well as the 25+ vegans that i know... and give me a break you must be new here saying that to basically the most helpful and nice vegan on these boards.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

i am fully offended.. mostly annoyed when people call themselves vegan when they are not doing it for ethical reasons, as well as the 25+ vegans that i know... and give me a break you must be new here saying that to basically the most helpful and nice vegan on these boards.

To be fair, I didn't say it to offend. I didn't know Vegans were so sensitive about the terminology. If saving animals is so important to Vegans, can't you simply respect the fact those of us going Plant Based are at least reducing our number of aminal products used.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Need2LuzWt wrote: »

To be fair, I didn't say it to offend. I didn't know Vegans were so sensitive about the terminology. If saving animals is so important to Vegans, can't you simply respect the fact those of us going Plant Based are at least reducing our number of aminal products used.

I don't think you were the one she quoted...Look again.

I know, but I think my misunderstanding the term Vegan vs. Plant Based is what started the debate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I don't think anyone was offended by you or concerned about what you said, it was someone else.

I have no problem with plant-based people, I think it's great when people reduce their animal exploitation for whatever reason even if animal exploitation isn't their motivation.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused by the food poisoning part. You can get food poisoning from anything. A lot of the really bad outbreaks are on vegetables and fruit that people are lax with because they don't cook them.
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I'm a little confused by the food poisoning part. You can get food poisoning from anything. A lot of the really bad outbreaks are on vegetables and fruit that people are lax with because they don't cook them.

Off the top of my head, the major recent outbreaks I can think of were related to spinach, cantaloupe, peanut butter, and green onions. I am sure there are others (I'm not a researcher), but vegetables and fruits (especially those we typically eat raw) are frequently involved in food poisoning.

Edit: In fact the most recent recall for food safety I read about was for hummus, which vegans often joke about being a whole food group for us.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Off the top of my head, the major recent outbreaks I can think of were related to spinach, cantaloupe, peanut butter, and green onions. I am sure there are others (I'm not a researcher), but vegetables and fruits (especially those we typically eat raw) are frequently involved in food poisoning.

Edit: In fact the most recent recall for food safety I read about was for hummus, which vegans often joke about being a whole food group for us.

Those were some of the incidents I was thinking about.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    *sigh* it's just the resolutioners. in about a month or two they will go on to another diet or their original diet and forget about this conversation except to say they tried vegan once.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    *sigh* it's just the resolutioners. in about a month or two they will go on to another diet or their original diet and forget about this conversation except to say they tried vegan once.

That's rather discouraging for what was designed to be a positive atmosphere. And my intention was not a resolution, it was for the sake of my health.
  • annabelavocado
    annabelavocado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and I learned most of my meals by watching youtube and reading food blogs. Deliciously Ella, Oh She Glows and the Minimalist Baker are my favourite blogs. JessBeautician does great vegan food videos on youtube.
  • crittycritry
    crittycritry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating more pork n chicken n eggs help you out
  • burnsdesi
    burnsdesi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Echoing what another poster said, there are a ton of great resources online. I also use Oh She Glows & Minimalist Baker websites a ton (I have both Oh She Glows cookbooks and use them often). Look up vegan 'what I eat in a day' videos on youtube to get an idea of what plant-based meals might look like and get some inspiration :) You don't need a bunch of supplements and weird ingredients to eat plant-based, but you'll want to pick up some b12 vitamins, and vitamin D depending on where you live and how much sun exposure you get.

Also, the fiber struggle is real...I think I farted my way through life the first month straight I went vegan from being omnivore. Beano may help you survive this smelly period of your life, lol.

Have fun!

• janejellyroll
    Options
    burnsdesi wrote: »
    Echoing what another poster said, there are a ton of great resources online. I also use Oh She Glows & Minimalist Baker websites a ton (I have both Oh She Glows cookbooks and use them often). Look up vegan 'what I eat in a day' videos on youtube to get an idea of what plant-based meals might look like and get some inspiration :) You don't need a bunch of supplements and weird ingredients to eat plant-based, but you'll want to pick up some b12 vitamins, and vitamin D depending on where you live and how much sun exposure you get.

Also, the fiber struggle is real...I think I farted my way through life the first month straight I went vegan from being omnivore. Beano may help you survive this smelly period of your life, lol.

Have fun!

My understanding is that Beano contains gelatin (unless they have recently changed the formula), so it wouldn't be appropriate for vegans.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Really??? We all have a first day at this somewhere along the line. Yes many will fall by the way side after a bit of time. Most of us do a time or two before we are truly able to commit.

This isn't an exclusive club here on MFP...it is open to everyone...even if they are not successful their first time around.
  • burnsdesi
    burnsdesi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    burnsdesi wrote: »

Have fun!

My understanding is that Beano contains gelatin (unless they have recently changed the formula), so it wouldn't be appropriate for vegans.

Aw damnit, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. :( blergh.